SPAAM Collectors Forum
Welcome to The SPAAM Collectors Forum!

SPorts Autographs And Memorabilia

Create a FREE account to get full access to the forum!

Fixing Autograph Photos - Paint Pens/Sharpies

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Fixing Autograph Photos - Paint Pens/Sharpies

Post by nednarb3 on Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:29 pm

Recently, Earl Bennett blotted my photo with my paintpen and it had a couple dots of paint on it. I read and read online to see what I can do. I heard paint thinner, alcohol, even white erasers, dry erase markers or white board markers.

I have tried alcohol and paint thinner and that not only cleared the room, but also can damage the photos. I tried a white eraser and that was ok for a Sharpie (on glossy photo), but no good with a paintpen unless you really erase erase erase. I also tried a click eraser, same issues as a big white eraser. I read that a dry erase marker (some better than others, and colors too depend on how good) and white board markers will erase the paint pens. Decolor also makes a paint pen remover for about $2.59 each. I did NOT try markers, but the same concept as the markers. Rub it on the paintpen error or dots and wipe off with a tissue. After looking at the photo, the remover did erase the paint pen, however it does scratch the photo a bit. This is not as noticeable as the pen dots.

Some (ethical or unethical) people will do the same technique and remove personalizations and or inscriptions. Some will buy items from eBay and do the same. That's on you.

nednarb3
Sports Fan
Sports Fan

SPAAM Cash: 28

Back to top Go down

Links

Post by nednarb3 on Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:45 pm

Here is a link for the paint pens and Decolor paint pen remover. I wasn't sure I was allowed to post links or advertisements.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

nednarb3
Sports Fan
Sports Fan

SPAAM Cash: 28

Back to top Go down

Re: Fixing Autograph Photos - Paint Pens/Sharpies

Post by Guest on Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:08 am

Silly just experimented with this on Chicago Blackhawks Multi-Signed Sports Illustrated, I'm sure he can give some updated product information for future notice for everyone when it comes to removing paint.

If It's a Glossy Photo, I've always had great results by spraying Axe Body Spray into a small piece of cloth or cotton ball and gently wiping it across the sig. A few swabs and it should be completely removed easily. It can be done on a Matte photo as well, but it takes a little bit more elbow grease.

Back to top Go down

Post by cubsfan0303 on Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:03 am

Silly also told me about his experiment and said that the deco paint remover worked well as did Carneys Axe spray.

cubsfan0303
Original Member

Original Member  Moderator

SPAAM Cash: 5089

Back to top Go down

Post by Silly on Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:15 am

Deco eraser worked flawlessly to get a smeared Hossa signature off the commemorative sports Illustrated.

I tried it on a canvas and it didn't work as well.

It must be a hard solid surface that will not allow the liquid to soak in.

Silly
Original Member

Original Member  Moderator

SPAAM Cash: 6494

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top