SPAAM Collectors Forum
Welcome to The SPAAM Collectors Forum!

SPorts Autographs And Memorabilia

Create a FREE account to get full access to the forum!

Inherited some autographs

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Inherited some autographs

Post by grand98 on Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:25 am

Well about 10 years ago my father passed away and he collected sports memorabilia like crazy and well I have it all now.

My questions are if anybody knows anything about these items like author, rarity, price etc etc

First is a signed art piece (looks like pencil) of Johnny Bench and it is signed by Johnny himself #14/89 the piece is named "Bench" and the artist's name is hard to read but it looks like it is C. Walston or Walster but not sure. It was drawn in 1996. I was with my father in 1996 when he got it signed by Bench himself (shook his hand and was in awe Very Happy )

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

The second piece is pretty self explanatory but it is a basketball signed by Michael Jordan.

And the last one is a art piece from an artist named Michael Rugai drawn in 1994 #47/500

Any and all help is greatly appreciated as I know not much about all of these things.

grand98
Sports Fan
Sports Fan

SPAAM Cash : 9

Back to top Go down

Re: Inherited some autographs

Post by FourFeathers on Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:27 am

I can't help on the first or 2nd pieces, but my guess is that if there are stories behind them from your father, the sentimental value is much higher than anything you'd ever sell them for and I'd keep them.

The Jordan ball however, appears to be fake. If you're unfamiliar w the hobby, you may not know that Jordan's signature is one of the most commonly forged names out there. I have a couple in my collection, and the one in your picture, sadly is not genuine. Only telling you because if I had something fake in my collection, I'd want to know. There are tons of them out there. But unless there's a story that it was obtained in person, and you witnessed it being signed, and Michael decided to sign that ball completely different than normal, it's sadly another scam artist who signed the ball originally and sold it into the market.

It's one of the cappy things that exists in this hobby.
FourFeathers
Starter
Starter

SPAAM Cash : 2345

Back to top Go down

Post by grand98 on Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:28 am

No I don't want to sell them I just wanted to know if anyone actually knew anything about the pieces all info is good info to me. And to see if the ball was fake as I had my suspicions and now that I looked on ebay at REAL ones I can see that there's a few too many loops in the first name.

And I have a COA from a Donald Frangipani HAHA so there we go with that.

grand98
Sports Fan
Sports Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by coachk28 on Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:50 pm

Yep... that Jordan is fake.

There are some things that are waaaay off on it.

You can learn more about telling the difference between real/fake here....

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

When it comes to COAs... they mean nothing. Anyone can fake a graph and print a COA to say its real.

The only COA that means anything when it comes to Jordan graphs are the ones from Upper Deck.

Look at there store and compare...

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

COAs from Donald Frangipani!!! YIKES!!!! His reputation as a autograph authenticator is horrible. He is known for passing all kinds of fakes!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]  l  [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]  l   [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]  l    [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] l [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]    [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
coachk28
SPAAM Founder
Chief Administrator

SPAAM Founder  Chief Administrator

SPAAM Cash : 13332

http://coachkscollection.weebly.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by grand98 on Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:19 pm

But it has a COA from the great Don Frangipani!! ROTFL

Either my dad got hosed or liked fake memoribilia he had a fake babe ruth ball, mickey mantle ball and now the jordan ball Rolling Eyes I know a sports store up in Seattle bought my dad's fake signed Mickey Mantle baseball for 150$ we all knew it was fake but he knew of people who wanted fake autographs.

The signed johnny bench pic is gonna get framed and go in my 5 month old son's room whom I named after my dad, a fitting tribute I think.

grand98
Sports Fan
Sports Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by coachk28 on Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:40 pm

grand98 wrote:
The signed johnny bench pic is gonna get framed and go in my 5 month old son's room whom I named after my dad, a fitting tribute I think.

That is a real nice piece for sure! Great lil tribute!

Even though I am as diehard of a Cubs fan as you can get.

I think that old school Reds logo is the coolest logo in all of sports!!!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]  l  [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]  l   [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]  l    [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] l [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]    [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
coachk28
SPAAM Founder
Chief Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by djp on Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:27 am

This guy scammed me with the michael jordan ball, I will be heading down to the las vegas police department to file a report on him in the morning and press charges for fraud, and thanks to this forum and the power of google , his knowing that the ball was a fraud will be evidence. Thanks guys.

djp
Sports Fan
Sports Fan

SPAAM Cash : 10

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:43 am

Wow...

Back to top Go down

Post by djp on Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:44 am

some peoples kids right...

djp
Sports Fan
Sports Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:45 am

How much did you pay for it?

Back to top Go down

Post by djp on Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:46 am

I traded him an Xbox 360 with several games, and 2 12" Car Subwoofers

djp
Sports Fan
Sports Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by FourFeathers on Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:50 am

Wow.

If true, hope the idiot gets what he deserves and that you get your stuff back. That ball is fake as can be, and he knew about it. Amazes me how stupid some people are.
FourFeathers
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by FourFeathers on Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:53 am

grand98 wrote:No I don't want to sell them I just wanted to know if anyone actually knew anything about the pieces all info is good info to me. And to see if the ball was fake as I had my suspicions and now that I looked on ebay at REAL ones I can see that there's a few too many loops in the first name.

And I have a COA from a Donald Frangipani HAHA so there we go with that.

grand98 wrote:But it has a COA from the great Don Frangipani!! ROTFL

Either my dad got hosed or liked fake memoribilia he had a fake babe ruth ball, mickey mantle ball and now the jordan ball Rolling Eyes I know a sports store up in Seattle bought my dad's fake signed Mickey Mantle baseball for 150$ we all knew it was fake but he knew of people who wanted fake autographs.

Quoted in case he tries to edit his posts.
FourFeathers
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:55 am

Agreed, this is a perfect example of people who need to be dismissed from this hobby. I thank you for posting on this forum, and informing us that he attempted to pull this with you, it will refrain us from dealing with him in the future. Hopefully he will also be banned after this is resolved

Back to top Go down

Post by djp on Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:57 am

i also took full screenshots of this forum post. i am talking on text with him now, he either needs to pull a real jordan ball out of his ass or give me the cash to buy a real one if he doesnt want me to take the trip down to the police dept tomarrow. Thank you guys!

djp
Sports Fan
Sports Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:00 am

Let us know what happens, and I wish we could have met you under different circumstances

Back to top Go down

Post by djp on Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:02 am

yes i will hang around here, i am an avid collector, i should of known better, usually i wont take stuff that doesnt have a major name COA, but i compared the autograph to some of his autographed cards i had and took a shot in the dark. once i googled the name on the COA i knew it was bad news. But i will for sure keep you guys updated!

djp
Sports Fan
Sports Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:16 am

Good Luck man, let us know what happens tomorrow.

Back to top Go down

Post by coachk28 on Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:06 am

This thread has been locked in order to keep posts from being edited.

It is unfortunate that something like this happened!

I created this forum to avoid issues like this. If all of this is true, you can rest assured that the member at fault will be permanently banned!

coachk28
SPAAM Founder
Chief Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top