SPAAM Collectors Forum
Welcome to The SPAAM Collectors Forum!

SPorts Autographs And Memorabilia

Create a FREE account to get full access to the forum!

I feel so old

View previous topic View next topic Go down

I feel so old

Post by TheAutoMan on Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:13 pm

It's been seven weeks since I've turned 20 and folks- let's face it, I'm an old fart.

I mean Mike Matheny just became the manager of the Cardinals. I remember Matheny well during his playing days in St. Louis and San Francisco where with the Cardinals he and Eli Marrero were behind the plate. John Mabry is now on his staff and I remember Mabry and I remember he was a Cub.

Same with the White Sox and Robin Ventura and how I remember Ventura playing with the Yankees and Dodgers. Possibly the Mets as well.

Players I remember watching- Rickey Henderson and Roberto Alomar, now have plaques in Cooperstown. I'll never forget this one amazing play Alomar made while with the Mets.

Basketball- I remember Michael when I was real small and when I was older I saw his stuff in Washington. Same with Scottie Pippen at the end of his career.

Football- Every Sunday I used to be amazed at Marshall Faulk. Yet he has a bust in Canton, along with Rice and Emmitt- also people I remember watching when I was younger.

I'm older than a lot of the up and coming athletes- Harper, Drummond, Sullinger, Barnes, Irving, Bray, Seantrel Henderson, Mathieu, Robert Woods, RNH, Taylor Hall, Tyler Seguin.

I'm older than Scotty McCreery, who won American Idol.

I was so depressed about turning 20. It made me sad. I'm convinced I am older than dirt. I feel I am too old for a lot of things. I tell my folks and friends I am too old for carnivals. They pass it off as nonsense but I believe it to be true.

Why must I be so old?
TheAutoMan
Starter
Starter

SPAAM Cash : 3871

Back to top Go down

Re: I feel so old

Post by coachk28 on Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:17 pm

TheAutoMan wrote:It's been seven weeks since I've turned 20 and folks- let's face it, I'm an old fart.

Why must I be so old?

Thanks..... I'm 31... so what does that make me?!?!?

lol! lol! lol!
coachk28
SPAAM Founder
Chief Administrator

SPAAM Founder  Chief Administrator

SPAAM Cash : 13332

http://coachkscollection.weebly.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by TheAutoMan on Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:20 pm

You're pretty young. When you get to be old like me, you'll understand.
TheAutoMan
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Highlan Mint Exec on Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:36 pm

I feel your pain automan. Just wait til you have kids and a wife then you will turn into the oldest young ever. But the joys of kids is you can do all the fun things you use to do "for the kids" and have a blast doing it yourself. But before you go that far do all the wild and crazy things that the married men cant do.
Highlan Mint Exec
Rookie
Rookie

SPAAM Cash : 10

Back to top Go down

Post by nsucolonel on Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:17 pm

Well Im 31 and have a 5 year old autistic boy. He keeps me busy. I asked my father the other day how he kept up with me and my sister when we were young. He said its not easy but worth every moment.

jason
nsucolonel
Original Member

Original Member  Moderator

SPAAM Cash : 2108

http://public.fotki.com/nsucolonel/

Back to top Go down

Post by TheAutoMan on Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:39 pm

I see myself much more reserved and not the kind of person who does.

Your five your old son is a true champion. I hope he hangs in there. I am on the spectrum for I was diagnosed with aspergers back in 2007. I don't know if I will ever have kids (still waiting to go on my very first date) but if I do I know it will be a lot of hard and busy work but also very rewarding and gratifying.
TheAutoMan
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Highlan Mint Exec on Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:21 pm

There is soemone for everyone buddy. And when I talk doing things that some married with kids man can't it doesnt have to be going out downtown it can be going to away games and checking out all the stadiums you can drive to. But the main thing is you enjoy everyday that you got and amek the best of it no matter what the situation you are in.

Highlan Mint Exec
Rookie
Rookie

SPAAM Cash : 10

Back to top Go down

Post by lerxst2112 on Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:06 pm

TheAutoMan wrote:It's been seven weeks since I've turned 20 and folks- let's face it, I'm an old fart.

I mean Mike Matheny just became the manager of the Cardinals. I remember Matheny well during his playing days in St. Louis and San Francisco where with the Cardinals he and Eli Marrero were behind the plate. John Mabry is now on his staff and I remember Mabry and I remember he was a Cub.

Same with the White Sox and Robin Ventura and how I remember Ventura playing with the Yankees and Dodgers. Possibly the Mets as well.

Players I remember watching- Rickey Henderson and Roberto Alomar, now have plaques in Cooperstown. I'll never forget this one amazing play Alomar made while with the Mets.

Basketball- I remember Michael when I was real small and when I was older I saw his stuff in Washington. Same with Scottie Pippen at the end of his career.

Football- Every Sunday I used to be amazed at Marshall Faulk. Yet he has a bust in Canton, along with Rice and Emmitt- also people I remember watching when I was younger.

I'm older than a lot of the up and coming athletes- Harper, Drummond, Sullinger, Barnes, Irving, Bray, Seantrel Henderson, Mathieu, Robert Woods, RNH, Taylor Hall, Tyler Seguin.

I'm older than Scotty McCreery, who won American Idol.

I was so depressed about turning 20. It made me sad. I'm convinced I am older than dirt. I feel I am too old for a lot of things. I tell my folks and friends I am too old for carnivals. They pass it off as nonsense but I believe it to be true.

Why must I be so old?

Wow! Twenty and old? That's crazy. There have been only 4 presidents in your lifetime, there has always been AIDS, never been a Berlin wall, always been an internet and personal computers for that matter. The Hubble telescope has always been in orbit, the Challenger accident had already happened, there has never been a USSR, there has always only been 1 Germany. You've only been able to drive for 4 years, to vote for 2 and you still can't drink (legally). 20 is not old.

Let's see... for me Red Schoendienst was the Cardinals manager, The White Sox wore red (but I was older then), shorts too (but I was already headed to college), the Roberto I remember was named Clemente. I remember Jordan vs Georgetown in the NCAA final and Fred Brown (Georgetown) passing the ball to James Worthy (NC) oops! It cost Georgetown the game and me my NCAA pool winnings. The football I remember had Gayle Sayers and Dick Butkus. They too have busts in Canton (classes of 1977 and 1979) yet for some reason it took the Bears until after you were born (1994) to retire their jersey numbers. I'm old enough to be the father of all those up and coming athletes you named. And the only American Idol I'd have a hard time being the father of is Taylor Hicks (unless I had him as a senior in high school).

No reason to be depressed about turning 20. You can be depressed when your kids turn 20.

I'm 53 and not too old for anything.... other than being young. And I'm definitely not too old for carnivals.

The alternative to turning 20, or getting older,......... is not to get any older. And there's only one way that can happen.... and that would be depressing.

Age is just a number. As long as the numbers keep going up, you're good. When that stops, then you're in trouble.
lerxst2112
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

SPAAM Cash : 814

Back to top Go down

Post by xtra-innings on Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:28 pm

Even though this is an older thread (and I'm a newer member)...ALL you guys make me laugh! I feel like one of the "Old Guys" now...I'm 39. lol!

I remember when:

Topps was your only card choice until 1981 when Fleer and Donruss came on the scene.

having to use "rabbit ears" on the TV to watch baseball/football games.

NASA introduced a new, reusable space craft called the "Space Shuttle".

Music Television (MTV) made its debut...really...who's gonna watch music videos.

watching the careers of Nolan Ryan, Mike Schmidt, and Reggie Jackson end...while guys like Ripken, Gwynn, and Boggs were just beginning.

watching Walter Payton leaping over human walls to score TDs on a regular basis.

Bo Jackson was a 2-sport star...before Deon Sanders did it.

a young, skinny kid from UNC was the talk of the NBA...only to become the GREATEST player of all-time...His Airness...Michael Jordan

Elvis died.

shows like the Jeffersons, Archie Bunker, and Dukes of Hazard were our shows of choice and the old TV sets took several minutes to "warm-up".

Atari first made their way into homes and you no longer had to wait in line at the arcade for a game or put your quarter on the ledge of the game to "reserve" your spot.

the first "brick" cell phones were sold.

you had to choose between VHS and Beta tapes.

Billy Martin was the manager of the Yankees for the 3rd, 4th, and 5th times.

the idea of a piece of cardboard with a picture of an athlete might be worth something some day.

Mickey Mantle and Joe DiMaggio started charging money to sign autographs!?!?! Really...who's gonna pay for some athlete to sign their name on something...

We've come along since then but with the "new generation" collectors, like many of you who post regularily on here...the hobby is in good hands!! Thumbs Up

Last edited by xtra-innings on Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:49 pm; edited 2 times in total
xtra-innings
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SPAAM Cash : 7119
TTM King TTM King

http://us.ebid.net/perl/main.cgi?mo=user-store&title=xtra-in

Back to top Go down

Post by coachk28 on Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:41 pm

Those last two posts were awesome!

Beavis Butthead

SPAAM Founder
Chief Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by sun devil on Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:37 pm

I feel so old...

when the younger generation thinks that the 49ers are a losing franchise.
sun devil
Water Boy
Water Boy

SPAAM Cash : 107

http://sundevilmikesautographs.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by tiger7171 on Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:38 pm

MAN yall are a bunch of youngsters on here. im 41
tiger7171
All-Star
All-Star

SPAAM Cash : 4599

Back to top Go down

Post by coachk28 on Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:43 pm

tiger7171 wrote:MAN yall are a bunch of youngsters on here. im 41

Damn! If I would have known that... I would have had you fill out the AARP form when you registered for SPAAM!

Wink ROTFL

SPAAM Founder
Chief Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top