SPAAM Collectors Forum
Welcome to The SPAAM Collectors Forum!

SPorts Autographs And Memorabilia

Create a FREE account to get full access to the forum!

New member, Need some info.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

New member, Need some info.

Post by BigD16 on Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:10 pm

Hello everybody,

I am a brand new member. Signed up a few minutes ago. I need some information, and any little bit of information I can get is greatly appreciated.

I went to a Harlem Globetrotters game when I was very young. Maybe 4 or 5, Give or take a year or two. Anyway, I was there on a Make - A - Wish trip. I had a brain tumor as a baby and my family was actively involved in the Make - A - Wish foundation events and activities. My point being, One of the trips we took with the M.A.W. group, Was to a harlem globetrotters game. From what I can remember, It was alot of fun. While I was there, I was fortunate enough to be able to meet the entire team, get my picture taken with them, and the whole team even autographed my harlem globetrotters ball. I am in no way looking for sympathy by telling you guys about my past, But what I am looking for is some info and as close of an acurrate value as possible.

The ball sat in a large rubbermaid bin in my closet for several years as a kid with a few other small miscellaneous keepsakes up until recently. About a year ago, I went down to my local comic/sports memorabilia shop and purchased a case to put it in. Other than the few times I touched it as a kid and when I touched it to put it in the case, The ball has been untouched since I got it from the game. It has never been played with and it currently sits inside a basketball display case set on the top compartment of my entertainment system.

Im just looking for some info and maybe an estimate of value. I have searched all over the internet, on forums, and ebay. I seen one from 04 sell for $5,000 and I seen another one sell for $8,000. I've searched for hours on end and never really found an accurate value. I've seen some people say it's not worth anymore than $25 to $50 at the most. I've seen some people say it's worth anywhere from a couple hundred dollars to about $1,000. I dont know what signatures are on it, So I would have to look at the ball before I could give anybody that info. I was diagnosed with my brain tumor in 94, So im assuming we went to the game anywhere from 96-99, Maybe 2000 at the absolute latest.

BigD16
Sports Fan
Sports Fan

SPAAM Cash : 19

Back to top Go down

Re: New member, Need some info.

Post by FourFeathers on Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:33 pm

It's worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it. If it's from as recent as the late 90's or early 2000's it's probably not going to fetch much unfortunately.

No way is it in the thousands of $$$ range. Globetrotter teams are simply not that popular anymore.

It probably would hold more value in sentiment, that it would be to anyone else. I'm gonna say the $25-$50 range probably isn't too far off from the value you would get for it. Keep it, the memory is worth more than someone would pay you for it.

FourFeathers
Starter
Starter

SPAAM Cash : 2345

Back to top Go down

Post by BigD16 on Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:38 pm

I dont plan on selling it. I've just had it all these years and I was curious as to if it was worth anything and how much it was worth if anything at all. Do you think it would be worth anything 10-20 years down the road?

BigD16
Sports Fan
Sports Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Stallion0122 on Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:08 am

I would get it authenticated by PSA or James Spence. That will help with the value later.
Stallion0122
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

SPAAM Cash : 614

Back to top Go down

Post by BigD16 on Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:17 am

How would I go about getting into contact with them?

BigD16
Sports Fan
Sports Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by TheAutoMan on Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:37 am

Welcome

Try a website.

Even though you ask no sympathy, I will give it to you anyway. Keep fighting the good fight. Thumbs Up
TheAutoMan
Starter
Starter

SPAAM Cash : 3871

Back to top Go down

Post by BigD16 on Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:41 am

Thank you! I do appreciate it. I just didnt want that to overtake the main point of my topic.

I noticed your profile pic, Im a wwe fan myself. Went to several live events including Wrestlemania 24 in Orlando in March of 08.

BigD16
Sports Fan
Sports Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by TheAutoMan on Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:43 am

Very nice. Never been to one. I am going to a Ring of Honor in a few weeks though. I really hope you become a mainstay here and contribute a lot. It is a very fun forum.
TheAutoMan
Starter
Starter

SPAAM Cash : 3871

Back to top Go down

Post by BigD16 on Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:50 am

I hope you have fun, and thank you. I plan on becoming an active and contributing member on this site.

BigD16
Sports Fan
Sports Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by BigD16 on Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:05 am

I know I asked this the other day when I made this topic, But I never really got an official answer. It was mentioned that since the ball is from the late 90's that it's probably not worth much at all and probably holds more value sentimentally. In my eyes, I think its pretty cool, and Im not saying anybody said it wasnt. I dont think there's to many people out there who can say they got a ball autographed by a whole basketball team. Like I mentioned, I know people said its probably not worth much right now. But what I would like to know is, Does anybody think it could be worth anything 10-20 years down the road?

BigD16
Sports Fan
Sports Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by coachk28 on Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:08 am

There are two major problems with eBay when it comes to autographs...
1. The vast majority of the autograph items sold on eBay are FAKE.
2. Sellers think just because something it autographed it is worth lots of money.

For example... I have seen people try to sell Dan Hampton (85 Bears, Hall of Fame) autographed items for hundreds of dollars. Dan Hampton signs for free at least once a week during the football season, and will sign whatever items you put infront of him. Because the market is so flooded, his graph isn't worth much at all... maybe $20.00 tops.

The Harlem Globetrotters of the 1980's-Present are in a similar situation. When they perform their shows... they sign a lot of autographs. The only Globetrotter autographs that have any significant value are... Wilt Chamberlain, Marques Haynes, and Meadowlark Lemon.

The starting value of a Wilt Chamberlain autograph (depening on the item signed) is probably around $150.00-$200.00.
Marques Haynes and Meadowlark Lemon autographs are probablly worth maybe around $50.00 each.

In doing a little research... a team signed ball from the Globetrotters of the 1990's is worth anywhere from $50.00, to if it's PSA/DNA authenticated maybe $100.00 to the right collector. Maybe 50 years down the road when all these guys are dead... the value may increase a little... but never in the $1,000.00s of dollars range.

I'm not sure where the $5,000-$8,000 values came from... but those are way off. I've seen team signed 1990's Champion Chicago Bulls basketballs sell for less than that... and they have Michael Jordan, Scottie Pippen, Dennis Rodman, and Phil Jackson autographs on them. And lets face it... besides Wilt Chamberlain... I highly doubt any autograph from the Globetrotters will ever become as/more valuable than any autograph from the top players in the NBA.

The only team signed Globetrotters items that I can see fetching a premium price are those from the 1929-1950's.

So while your signed Globetrotter ball is collectible and a very cool piece, its actual retail value isn't much... even down the road. It's sentimental value is worth a lot more to you.

Hope that helps!

And....

Welcome Welcome

to the forum. Glad to have you here!!!

SPAAM Founder
Chief Administrator

SPAAM Founder  Chief Administrator

SPAAM Cash : 13332

http://coachkscollection.weebly.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by lerxst2112 on Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:04 pm

Here's the link to a 1969 Globetrotters team signed ball that sold for $177 at American Memorabilia auctions in 2010. That ball has some of the more famous Globetrotters like Curly Neal, Geese Ausbie and Meadowlark Lemon.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Here's a link to a mid 1990's ball signed by 7 that sold for $36 in 2011.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

As with any collectible it is only worth what someone will pay. That being said, the value of a signed item is dependent on who signed the item, the condition of the item, the scarcity of the item and the demand for the item. Without knowing the specific signers on the ball it would be hard to give an accurate estimate of it's value. The only way the ball would increase in value over time is if there became a higher demand for one or more of the signers. Globetrotters material signed by players like Wilt Chamberlain or Fergie Jenkins are sure to have more value than those signed by generic teams with no standout names. As was stated before, the sentimental value of the piece to you far outweighs the monetary value.
lerxst2112
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

SPAAM Cash : 814

Back to top Go down

Post by BigD16 on Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:10 pm

Thank you both for the replies. I appreciate the info. The ball may not be worth much, But like everybodys mentioned, It's worth alot to me sentimentally and in my eyes definitely a cool peice to have.

BigD16
Sports Fan
Sports Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top