SPAAM Collectors Forum
Welcome to The SPAAM Collectors Forum!

SPorts Autographs And Memorabilia

Create a FREE account to get full access to the forum!

Cubs Topps cards project

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Cubs Topps cards project

Post by lerxst2112 on Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:34 pm

I am a collector of all things related to the Cubs of 1969. They were the team that I grew up with. I decided I wanted a 1969 Cubs card for each of the players on the roster. Many of the players weren't pictured as Cubs in the 1969 Topps set or had no card at all. I decided to make my own cards in the style of the 1969 Topps cards with both fronts and backs depicting each in a Cubs uniform complete with correct stats. I've had many of these cards signed by the players and have given some as gifts to them. Here are examples of my cards.

Dave Lemonds signing a reprint card
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

You can see many of the photos have 1969 shoulder patches and are the correct vintage for 1969 cards. Each card has a complete back with stats and a cartoon like the Hairston example. John Hairston had a 3 game career in total and never appeared on any official card making this the only card of his anywhere.

Last edited by lerxst2112 on Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:44 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : edited photo)
lerxst2112
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

SPAAM Cash : 814

Back to top Go down

Re: Cubs Topps cards project

Post by lerxst2112 on Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:20 pm

Anyone else this obsessed about a favorite team or pet project to go to these extremes? OR am I the only one?
lerxst2112
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

Back to top Go down

Post by Silly on Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:57 am

This is an awesome collection!!!

Silly
Original Member

Original Member  Moderator

SPAAM Cash : 6494

Back to top Go down

Post by yankeesjetsfan on Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:11 am

That is an awesome project! How do you make those cards?

I didn't know Oscar Gamble was on the '69 team.

Mike
yankeesjetsfan
Rookie
Rookie

SPAAM Cash : 357

Back to top Go down

Post by lerxst2112 on Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:34 pm

Yes Mike, Oscar Gamble did indeed come up as a 19 year old to play in 24 games with the 1969 Cubs.

As for making the cards, computers are wonderful things. I made a template of a 1969 style Topps card in photoshop first. Then I found photos of the players in Cubs uniforms and dropped them into the template I made. The cards fronts were printed up on matte photopaper. I made back templates also and filled them out with stats appropriate for a card released in 1969. Sometimes this involved using stats from different sources, including vintage Cubs Media Guides. I created a comic for each of the card backs, or borrowed one from a different card or year and printed the backs on regular multipurpose paper. I then used a cardboard magazine backer board as a core and spray cemented the front and back sheets to the core. I devised a system to assure proper alignment of the fronts and backs and used a j roller to maintain good contact to the core. The 9 card sheets were then cut up using a Fiskars roller cutting guide. With the homemade cards finished, I either sent them off to the players home address to be signed, or brought them to local Chicago shows to have them signed in person. I always made sure to have a few spare cards to give to the players. Some players, especially those with few or no true cards, were very appreciative of the gift cards. Many of those given to the players were destined to be given to their grandkids. It was a rewarding experience for me to create the cards and have them signed. The cards are only in my possession or that of the player pictured. None of the cards created have been or will ever be sold. They are a permanent part of my collection and are solely for my enjoyment to create a truly complete set of Topps style 1969 cards picturing the members of that team in Cubs uniforms. I hope you enjoy them as much as I do sharing the images with you.
lerxst2112
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

Back to top Go down

Post by lerxst2112 on Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:49 pm

I almost forgot, I'd like to thank AU Sports for bringing many of these Cubs players to their store for signings. Without Steve Gold's perseverance to get these players to his store for signings, some of these cards might never have been signed. We (1969 Cubs fans) pressed him relentlessly to get certain players to his store for signings. He came through time after time. As far as I can tell, his signings with Alec Distaso and John Hairston were the only signings either player has ever done. And with Alec's passing it was the only chance we ever had to meet with him and have our collectibles signed. Steve's dedication to us 1969 Cubs collectors can not be over estimated. We lost a true friend to Chicago sports collectors with the passing of Steve. I could never thank him enough for his invaluable contribution to this project.
lerxst2112
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top