SPAAM Collectors Forum
Welcome to The SPAAM Collectors Forum!

SPorts Autographs And Memorabilia

Create a FREE account to get full access to the forum!

Autograph Collecting Pet Peeves

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Autograph Collecting Pet Peeves

Post by coachk28 on Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:02 am

First topic message reminder :

A pet peeve is something that annoys you.

What are you pet peeves in the autograph collecting hobby!

Rant and complain here!!!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]  l  [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]  l   [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]  l    [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] l [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]    [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
coachk28
SPAAM Founder
Chief Administrator

SPAAM Founder  Chief Administrator

SPAAM Cash : 13332

http://coachkscollection.weebly.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Autograph Collecting Pet Peeves

Post by Silly on Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:35 pm

cubsfan0303 wrote:Me and Silly ran into this problem of not switching markers last night when Karlsson from the Blackhawks wouldnt switch from black to blue. He was kinda a jerk anyways....saw it coming.

Good example. It was clear from the minute the interview started, and when he kept ttrying to leave while there was a VERY short line formed that he did not want to be there. Why even bother if you dont want to be there. I mean how much do you think he got paid? it isn't about the money.

All he accomplished yesterday was losing fans.

Silly
Original Member

Original Member  Moderator

SPAAM Cash : 6494

Back to top Go down

Post by cubsfan0303 on Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:53 pm

Silly wrote:
cubsfan0303 wrote:Me and Silly ran into this problem of not switching markers last night when Karlsson from the Blackhawks wouldnt switch from black to blue. He was kinda a jerk anyways....saw it coming.

Good example. It was clear from the minute the interview started, and when he kept ttrying to leave while there was a VERY short line formed that he did not want to be there. Why even bother if you dont want to be there. I mean how much do you think he got paid? it isn't about the money.

All he accomplished yesterday was losing fans.
Yeah I agree he is not on my fav players list. Hes the only guy at the hog talks that I have been to that was an a hole. Evey other player that has been around have been great as you can see from the pics I posted of stuff I got.
cubsfan0303
Original Member

SPAAM Cash : 5089

Back to top Go down

Post by stdrwt11 on Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:33 am

I can't stand when athletes are rude or don't even interact with the fans. They are paid to be there so at least act happy. When this happens I usually sell the item I get just because I don't want it after that. I do of course usually try to give them a second chance as it could have been a bad day or they had some bad news right before.

I also don't like when athletes refuse to inscribe or will only have 1 thing they will inscribe. I like to get random or different inscriptions from them and if I am paying them to put one I think there should be several options.
stdrwt11
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

SPAAM Cash : 2772

Back to top Go down

Post by stdrwt11 on Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:35 am

Oh, as a grapher I also help my friend when he does shows or signings and it pains me to see some of the markers/pens used on the items they have or where they have it signed. I even notice it while I am in line for an auto and I can't help but point out what I think would look better to help them. I can't stand seeing a good auto go to waste hahaha.

Example: blue sharpie black background, faded markers, etc.
stdrwt11
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

SPAAM Cash : 2772

Back to top Go down

Post by xtra-innings on Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:55 pm

stdrwt11 wrote:Oh, as a grapher I also help my friend when he does shows or signings and it pains me to see some of the markers/pens used on the items they have or where they have it signed. I even notice it while I am in line for an auto and I can't help but point out what I think would look better to help them. I can't stand seeing a good auto go to waste hahaha.

Example: blue sharpie black background, faded markers, etc.

I agree. Blue/Black sigs on a dark background when there are other areas on the photo to sign to "show" the autograph better. During ChiSox training camp, Peavy signed a photo for me in the ONLY dark area of the photo...
xtra-innings
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SPAAM Cash : 7119
TTM King TTM King

http://us.ebid.net/perl/main.cgi?mo=user-store&title=xtra-in

Back to top Go down

Dallas triplets autograph

Post by rgarcia76179 on Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:23 am

Attended GTSM Dallas show found out Michael Irvin charges an extra $145 on top his $150 premium item fee if item was previously signed by Aikman or Smith. My item clearly was not but he gave each graph a close inspection even doing a double take on one then saying oh ok. Guess its his way of getting fans to seek him out first. Other then that nice guy he seemed in good spirits even posed for pics even though GTSM officials said no pics unless it was at the photograph booth.
rgarcia76179
Water Boy
Water Boy

SPAAM Cash : 52

Back to top Go down

Post by Silly on Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:57 am

The whole photo op thing irks me. I understand why it's done but the prices should not be anywhere near the price of an autograph.

At previous MM shows people have charged over $200 for a darn photo op! But the again I guess if people are willing to pay it......

Silly
Original Member

Back to top Go down

Post by rgarcia76179 on Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:39 pm

another pet peeve is hands touching the other graphs while signing

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Last edited by rgarcia76179 on Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:28 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : moved image)
rgarcia76179
Water Boy
Water Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Silly on Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:48 pm

Agreed! Nothing you can do about that though. Can't imagine it going too well if ya ask them to watch out.

Silly
Original Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Silly on Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:49 pm

Nice helmet btw!

Silly
Original Member

Back to top Go down

Post by rgarcia76179 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:01 am

Silly wrote:Agreed! Nothing you can do about that though. Can't imagine it going too well if ya ask them to watch out.

Saw a guy at the ticket booth complaining that Aikman smeared his Emmitt Smith autograph.
rgarcia76179
Water Boy
Water Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by rgarcia76179 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:05 am

Silly wrote:Nice helmet btw!

Thank you trying to get all living cowboys hall of famers....unfortunately I had to pass on Emmitt today he charges an arm & leg but hopefully next year I'll get him.
rgarcia76179
Water Boy
Water Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Silly on Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:31 am

His price has actually come down a little than when he first hit the circuit but still way too much.

Silly
Original Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Leebo on Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:19 pm

Emmitt overcharges because he thought he was going to make a fortune off of all those TDs he scored. He was hogging them all to put in his autograph memorabilia stores. What memorabilia stores you say? Exactly. Unlike Aikman and Irvin he didn't seek any financial advice from Jerry Jones about how to handle his new found wealth- hence why he's reduced to doing Academy Store promotions.

My pet peeve is players TTM who cash your check, and then leave you in limbo about sending back the autograph for months.

That brings up a great situation though. I wrote Ben Tate about 2 years ago. I know he got my cards, because he put them up on his Facebook, BUT HE NEVER SENT THEM BACK OR AUTOGRAPHED THEM FOR ME. I even pestered the guy just to put them in the envelope and return them to me if he didn't want to sign them. Ugh. Jerk. All he talks about is being a War Eagle anyway. Doesn't really care about playing for the Houston Texans.
Leebo
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

SPAAM Cash : 547

Back to top Go down

Post by yipster32 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:21 pm

dont know if anyone else wrote it....but when you get more than one photo signed and the celeb/handler puts the pics on top of each other after signing. the wet ink smudges and ends up on the back of the other pic or sometimes transfers completely.
yipster32
All-Star
All-Star

SPAAM Cash : 5004

Back to top Go down

Post by cubsfan0303 on Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:55 am

sweet helmet
cubsfan0303
Original Member

SPAAM Cash : 5089

Back to top Go down

Post by tiger7171 on Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:52 am

war eagle.plainsmen,or tigers auburn fans and players are messed up in the head.
i know what each mean but come on auburn get your act together,
btw it is a nice campus to visit for a football game. been there about 5 times when they played LSU.
tiger7171
All-Star
All-Star

SPAAM Cash : 4599

Back to top Go down

Post by Leebo on Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:30 am

Oh yeah I forgot to mention two other big peeves:

1) Players who don't sign their cards on the front! It's like I got all these great albums full of autographs, and then, "Boom!", there's a blank front...

2) Troll collectors who 'seagull' other collectors TTM successes. I collect WLAF autographs, and this guy used to crap all over me for it on another board about it. Always remember: "One man's trash, is another man's gold."
Leebo
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

Back to top Go down

Post by tiger7171 on Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:15 am

wlaf i never thought about graphing that league.

i understand where you coming from leebo. i mainly collect LSU players and people dont understand why .
tiger7171
All-Star
All-Star

SPAAM Cash : 4599

Back to top Go down

Post by vjw0307 on Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:28 pm

Leebo wrote:Emmitt overcharges because he thought he was going to make a fortune off of all those TDs he scored. He was hogging them all to put in his autograph memorabilia stores. What memorabilia stores you say? Exactly. Unlike Aikman and Irvin he didn't seek any financial advice from Jerry Jones about how to handle his new found wealth- hence why he's reduced to doing Academy Store promotions.

My pet peeve is players TTM who cash your check, and then leave you in limbo about sending back the autograph for months.

That brings up a great situation though. I wrote Ben Tate about 2 years ago. I know he got my cards, because he put them up on his Facebook, BUT HE NEVER SENT THEM BACK OR AUTOGRAPHED THEM FOR ME. I even pestered the guy just to put them in the envelope and return them to me if he didn't want to sign them. Ugh. Jerk. All he talks about is being a War Eagle anyway. Doesn't really care about playing for the Houston Texans.

In regards to check cashing...my pet peeve is when you send a check and it takes them months to cash it...I've gotten my auto back weeks before check was cashed...main person that comes to mine is Whitey Ford. Thats why I only send cash or bank certified checks.

1953 Archives: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

500 HR Club: 20/25
3,000 Hit Club: 18/28
Baseball HOF Members: 112/294
1953 Archives: 233/242
1963 Topps: 346/576
vjw0307
All-Star
All-Star

SPAAM Cash : 5630

http://s900.photobucket.com/albums/ac210/vjw0307/

Back to top Go down

Post by knicksfannumba1 on Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:41 pm

The worst is when you get denied by your idol or favorite player. I am a due hard Knicks fan (if you read my username and didn't realize that, I feel sorry for you Very Happy ) and JR Smith, one of my favorite players at the time, was shooting hook shot half court shots at shoot around. He was the last Knick there and even the security guards thought he was gonna sign. We were dead wrong. He said "No Autographs" and ran through to the locker room.

The second worst is when someone you don't expect to meet is at an event, and you have nothing for them to sign. Never had that experience, do not want to experience it.
knicksfannumba1
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

SPAAM Cash : 1437

Back to top Go down

Post by Leebo on Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:18 pm

knicksfannumba1 wrote: The second worst is when someone you don't expect to meet is at an event, and you have nothing for them to sign. Never had that experience, do not want to experience it.

Mannn now I'm going to have nightmares about this... Sad
Leebo
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

Back to top Go down

Post by vjw0307 on Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:12 am

Leebo wrote:
knicksfannumba1 wrote: The second worst is when someone you don't expect to meet is at an event, and you have nothing for them to sign. Never had that experience, do not want to experience it.

Sometimes you have to just improvise. I recently moved from a town of 5,000 people...nothing ever goes on in this town...no big businesses...nothing fun to do, etc. Well, my girlfriend at the time and I were sitting in Subway one day when I see this guy walk in with about 5 or 6 other people...most of them looked young and hippy like...and as soon as I heard him open his mouth to order his food, I knew who it was...PAULY SHORE! haha...he was on his way to some comedy show and somehow drove through Whiteville, NC...his hair was short but still talked exactly as he does in movies. Was on the phone the entire time he was there but was nice enough to sign my subway napkin Smile

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

1953 Archives: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

500 HR Club: 20/25
3,000 Hit Club: 18/28
Baseball HOF Members: 112/294
1953 Archives: 233/242
1963 Topps: 346/576
vjw0307
All-Star
All-Star

SPAAM Cash : 5630

http://s900.photobucket.com/albums/ac210/vjw0307/

Back to top Go down

Post by marino13kb24 on Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:26 pm

I fear forgeries the most since I have to get most of my signed memorabilia online. I wish my area had more signings.
marino13kb24
Water Boy
Water Boy

SPAAM Cash : 28

Back to top Go down

Post by yipster32 on Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:12 pm

vjw0307 wrote:
Leebo wrote:

Sometimes you have to just improvise. I recently moved from a town of 5,000 people...nothing ever goes on in this town...no big businesses...nothing fun to do, etc. Well, my girlfriend at the time and I were sitting in Subway one day when I see this guy walk in with about 5 or 6 other people...most of them looked young and hippy like...and as soon as I heard him open his mouth to order his food, I knew who it was...PAULY SHORE! haha...he was on his way to some comedy show and somehow drove through Whiteville, NC...his hair was short but still talked exactly as he does in movies. Was on the phone the entire time he was there but was nice enough to sign my subway napkin Smile

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

hahahaha that is awesome, all hail the weasel!!!!
yipster32
All-Star
All-Star

SPAAM Cash : 5004

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top