SPAAM Collectors Forum
Welcome to The SPAAM Collectors Forum!

SPorts Autographs And Memorabilia

Create a FREE account to get full access to the forum!

Autograph Collecting Pet Peeves

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Autograph Collecting Pet Peeves

Post by coachk28 on Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:02 am

A pet peeve is something that annoys you.

What are you pet peeves in the autograph collecting hobby!

Rant and complain here!!!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]  l  [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]  l   [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]  l    [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] l [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]    [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
coachk28
SPAAM Founder
Chief Administrator

SPAAM Founder  Chief Administrator

SPAAM Cash : 13332

http://coachkscollection.weebly.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Autograph Collecting Pet Peeves

Post by coachk28 on Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:11 am

I hate the hard core dealers! Where graph hunting and graph selling is their only job!

Many of these dealers show up to free autograph signings and bring their entire family with them.

They get a whole bunch of free autographs, then have them posted for sale on eBay by the end of the day!

I understand everyone sells items from their collection at one time or another for various reasons. But it is these people that are taking advantage and ruining the hobby for everyone else!

Last edited by coachk28 on Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:20 am; edited 1 time in total

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]  l  [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]  l   [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]  l    [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] l [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]    [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
coachk28
SPAAM Founder
Chief Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by bigborgs on Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:21 am

the one thing that gets me is when i go to get hawks players and you wait in line then get cut by the dealer multiple times

Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
bigborgs
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

SPAAM Cash : 1470

Back to top Go down

Post by mrmopar on Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:26 am

Forgeries would be a top peeve of most people. If we could just all enjoy the hobby of signature collecting w/o the worry that something you are buying or trading for is fake!

One personal peeve I have involves the player or celebrity who either doesn't care to sign or charges an insane amount for an appearance that the cost is ridiculous (Mike Marshall to name one) or those who won't sign certain items for whatever personal reason they have and may or may not share (see below for one example that was not as bad for me).

- It's your peeve, but I thought I would comment on the whole family comment for free autographs. I have and would continue to do this, often at the irritation of my family. However, I have not sold a single autograph card I obtained in person anywhere, let alone ebay. I enjoy collecting autographs and the more I can get, the more I enjoy it. The real thrill for me with multiples is the variety of different items I can obtain that are signed. With Steve Garvey, it is in the 1000s.

I went to a signing at a minor league game near my house. Dave Stewart was a guest and was signing for about 2 hours before and during the game. After the initial line died down (maybe 1/2-3/4 hour), the "die hards" made their multiple trips through the line. Note that this was a single A league and the stadium might have held a couple thousand people, many of which could care less about a Dave Stewart autograph.

I knew about the signing in advanced and actually offered my services for free through a card site and collected cards from people who wanted me to try to get them an autograph. I was able to get practically everything signed for everyone, plus I got myself a nice pile of autographs. It was a success beyond my expectations.

One downer was that Stewart said he would not sign any Texas or Philadelphia cards or photos. Thankfully most of the people I was trying to get autos for sent me A's stuff and I was mainly interested in getting Dodger stuff signed. He was really cool about it though, actually asking me if I minded that he wouldn't sign those items. Now that was a cool way to deny someone at least.

Here is one item from that signing...

1981 Long Beach Press Telegram, predating his major rookie card issues by a year!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

mrmopar
Water Boy
Water Boy

SPAAM Cash : 220

Back to top Go down

Post by coachk28 on Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:19 am

No worries mrmopar... I was referring to the dealers who bring their entire family with them to free signing and use that as a means to get as many items possible to sell!

The people that bring their entire family to signings and keep them for them self... I have no problem with!

coachk28
SPAAM Founder
Chief Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Dthehutt on Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:32 am

Ahh James you couldnt be referring to the Gomez clan could you?
I dont have a problem wirh dealers but I do have a problem when people drop 5 itmes at once and then it becomes limit 1 per person.
I do have 1 pet peeve and that is seeing imho a wasted autograph ie pieces of notebook paper or a t-shirt.
I understand its not my autograph but I would like to see a signature last over time. Besides if your going to wait in line for hours you might as well get something nice signed.
Dthehutt
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

SPAAM Cash : 643

Back to top Go down

Post by coachk28 on Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:59 am

Dthehutt wrote:Ahh James you couldnt be referring to the Gomez clan could you?
I dont have a problem wirh dealers but I do have a problem when people drop 5 itmes at once and then it becomes limit 1 per person.
I do have 1 pet peeve and that is seeing imho a wasted autograph ie pieces of notebook paper or a t-shirt.
I understand its not my autograph but I would like to see a signature last over time. Besides if your going to wait in line for hours you might as well get something nice signed.

Yes! I was referring to people just like the Gomez family!

I agree with your pet peeve as well! I can't stand when people waste valuable autographs on crappy/dumb items! But like you said it's their stuff and they'll do what they want!

coachk28
SPAAM Founder
Chief Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by jesp77 on Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:21 am

Some of my pet peeves are when the signer won't switch pens (from black to a blue sharpie or from a silver sharpie to a paint pen that you've primed) and if a signer signs in a dark area of a picture on purpose, even after you ask him to personalize it to you.
jesp77
Rookie
Rookie

SPAAM Cash : 127

Back to top Go down

Post by Stallion0122 on Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:07 pm

I know all about the Gomez family....big scumbags. I remember them from the mid-90's at hotels and Gomez's mom sweet talking wrestlers for signatures for their grand kid. I told a couple of the wrestlers to who they are and they all caught wind of them. People like that ruin all free signings. They made Hampton upset with 7 of the same photo.
Stallion0122
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

SPAAM Cash : 614

Back to top Go down

Post by Silly on Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:13 pm

Stallion0122 wrote:I know all about the Gomez family....big scumbags. I remember them from the mid-90's at hotels and Gomez's mom sweet talking wrestlers for signatures for their grand kid. I told a couple of the wrestlers to who they are and they all caught wind of them. People like that ruin all free signings. They made Hampton upset with 7 of the same photo.

I do not have an issue with them being out there trying to make a living. It is their line of work just as you and I have our line of work.

My pet peeve with the issue would be upsetting the athlete. Fine it is your job to sell autographs. But please do not go and slap down 4 full size helmets. Regardless of who the player is that will not go over well and upset them and the rest of us have to deal with it.

Other than that I do not have problems with dealers. It's their right to earn a living.

PS: I have bought many items from the Gomez's. Great prices and you know they are authentic. I just bought a signed mini by a lesser '85 bears player from them for $12. I mean come on. An unsigned mini goes for $20-$25 to begin with!

Silly
Original Member

Original Member  Moderator

SPAAM Cash : 6494

Back to top Go down

Post by TheAutoMan on Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:18 pm

Why have I never heard of the Gomez family?
TheAutoMan
Starter
Starter

SPAAM Cash : 3871

Back to top Go down

Post by Silly on Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:21 pm

TheAutoMan wrote:Why have I never heard of the Gomez family?

Because you are not a regular at the free signings. At least I don't think you are.

I use to think all the regulars were weird. Then I became one.

Silly
Original Member

Back to top Go down

Post by TheAutoMan on Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:24 pm

Yeah I don't really do free ones. I think I did some with the Blackhawks back in 2008-2009. That is about it.
TheAutoMan
Starter
Starter

SPAAM Cash : 3871

Back to top Go down

Post by coachk28 on Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:32 pm

jesp77 wrote:Some of my pet peeves are when the signer won't switch pens (from black to a blue sharpie or from a silver sharpie to a paint pen that you've primed) and if a signer signs in a dark area of a picture on purpose, even after you ask him to personalize it to you.

Yes! That has happened to me a couple times when they didn't want to use my pen! At a free signing I understand. But if I'm paying for your autograph you'll sign your name with a turd if I want! LOL

coachk28
SPAAM Founder
Chief Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Stallion0122 on Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:04 pm

coachk28 wrote:
jesp77 wrote:Some of my pet peeves are when the signer won't switch pens (from black to a blue sharpie or from a silver sharpie to a paint pen that you've primed) and if a signer signs in a dark area of a picture on purpose, even after you ask him to personalize it to you.

Yes! That has happened to me a couple times when they didn't want to use my pen! At a free signing I understand. But if I'm paying for your autograph you'll sign your name with a turd if I want! LOL

Coach hit the nail on the head. You're paying good money and these guys still act like we owe them a living. Imagine if we (the general public) act like these guys do. Imagine if we swore at them after our item was signed.

Going back to the Gomez clan...I saw his tall goofy looking guy shove kids to get his item signed back in the day. Thats wrong and its a lousy way of making a living. They're a group of losers.
Stallion0122
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

SPAAM Cash : 614

Back to top Go down

Post by Silly on Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:22 pm

Stallion0122 wrote:
coachk28 wrote:

Coach hit the nail on the head. You're paying good money and these guys still act like we owe them a living. Imagine if we (the general public) act like these guys do. Imagine if we swore at them after our item was signed.

Going back to the Gomez clan...I saw his tall goofy looking guy shove kids to get his item signed back in the day. Thats wrong and its a lousy way of making a living. They're a group of losers.

well yeah, putting your hands on anyone, or anyone else's items is just a bad idea all around.

Silly
Original Member

Back to top Go down

Post by lerxst2112 on Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:48 pm

Pen mixups for sure are a pet peeve on multi signed items. Seems almost every piece I have has at least 1 issue or another. A scorecard with 30+ blue Sharpie sigs and 1 blue ballpoint pen. A team signed bat that had 1 autograph, by a lefty, signed upside down. I removed that autograph and had it redone at a later time right side up only to have the bat sent out for a private signing and come back signed in blue sharpie when the other 30+ autographs were all in black. At a Cubs convention I had my Cubs of 1969 book signed by Paul Popovich in black pen when all the other autos are blue pen. Crazy thing was, the pen he had in his hand had a blue cap on it, but it was black ink. Just goes to show you, if you want it signed right you have to put the pen in the athlete's hand. You just can't trust them. I handed Ditka a photo to be signed with a note asking for a particular inscription and that he sign it in blue Sharpie. I took a photo of him signing the piece... in Black. You can see the note asking for black in the photo. LOL

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
lerxst2112
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

SPAAM Cash : 814

Back to top Go down

Post by jesp77 on Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:51 pm

lerxst2112 wrote:Pen mixups for sure are a pet peeve on multi signed items. Seems almost every piece I have has at least 1 issue or another. A scorecard with 30+ blue Sharpie sigs and 1 blue ballpoint pen. A team signed bat that had 1 autograph, by a lefty, signed upside down. I removed that autograph and had it redone at a later time right side up only to have the bat sent out for a private signing and come back signed in blue sharpie when the other 30+ autographs were all in black. At a Cubs convention I had my Cubs of 1969 book signed by Paul Popovich in black pen when all the other autos are blue pen. Crazy thing was, the pen he had in his hand had a blue cap on it, but it was black ink. Just goes to show you, if you want it signed right you have to put the pen in the athlete's hand. You just can't trust them. I handed Ditka a photo to be signed with a note asking for a particular inscription and that he sign it in blue Sharpie. I took a photo of him signing the piece... in Black. You can see the note asking for blue in the photo. LOL

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

LOL. Da Coach did something like that to me too. I was getting him on a single signed Bears helmet. My helmet was on the table in front of him and I was behind him. I asked "Coach, can you please sign with this pen (Silver DecoColor paint pen)?" Without turning around to see what kind of pen I had, he goes "That one runs." and grabbed a Sharpie paint pen on the table that wasn't flowing well, and signed my helmet. It turned out ok, but I would've preferred him signing with the paint pen that I just primed.
jesp77
Rookie
Rookie

SPAAM Cash : 127

Back to top Go down

Post by FourFeathers on Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:19 pm

I think blue looks better on that piece than blue would have anyway. JMO.
FourFeathers
Starter
Starter

SPAAM Cash : 2345

Back to top Go down

Post by lerxst2112 on Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:30 pm

FourFeathers wrote:I think blue looks better on that piece than blue would have anyway. JMO.

I don't necessarily disagree that blue looks better. But I was getting this for a friend and all the others he has are signed on the matting in black.
lerxst2112
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

SPAAM Cash : 814

Back to top Go down

Post by FourFeathers on Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:41 pm

lerxst2112 wrote:
FourFeathers wrote:I think blue looks better on that piece than blue would have anyway. JMO.

I don't necessarily disagree that blue looks better. But I was getting this for a friend and all the others he has are signed on the matting in black.

Yeah that would bug me too. I like consistency.
FourFeathers
Starter
Starter

SPAAM Cash : 2345

Back to top Go down

Post by coachk28 on Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:06 am

Bump

Bump for this fun topic!

coachk28
SPAAM Founder
Chief Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by cubsfan0303 on Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:37 am

Me and Silly ran into this problem of not switching markers last night when Karlsson from the Blackhawks wouldnt switch from black to blue. He was kinda a jerk anyways....saw it coming.
cubsfan0303
Original Member

SPAAM Cash : 5089

Back to top Go down

Post by kenoshacub on Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:06 pm

I would have to say the stuff that happened at the auto show with Tillman. A player being a down right ass when he's being paid to be there. If you don't want to sign autographs don't accept the cash. Act like you want to be there. Or stay home.
Also agree with Silly, no issues with Gomez either. You just gotta be there ahead of them and you will have no issues getting your stuff done. I also have bought items from Mike and agree you know they are authentic.

kenoshacub
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

SPAAM Cash : 330

Back to top Go down

Post by tiger7171 on Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:32 pm

where does the gomes brothers sell their goods?
tiger7171
All-Star
All-Star

SPAAM Cash : 4599

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top