SPAAM Collectors Forum
Welcome to The SPAAM Collectors Forum!

SPorts Autographs And Memorabilia

Create a FREE account to get full access to the forum!

What got you into graphing?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

What got you into graphing?

Post by TheAutoMan on Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:50 pm

I'm really surprised nobody has done this yet. How did you get into collecting autos?

For me, it actually started off as a joke with me and some buds back in 6th grade. I had a bunch of cards and so did some others. They'd joke around they be like, "Oh, well I have Larry Bird, SIGNED." and then SIGNED would be something we would say a lot and then we'd joke around.

Somehow it transpired into something real. It's probably the weirdest origin story ever.
TheAutoMan
Starter
Starter

SPAAM Cash : 3871

Back to top Go down

Re: What got you into graphing?

Post by bigborgs on Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:17 pm

for me it was about meeting the players that i liked watching...everytime i meet someone i try and actually talk to them while not holding up lines and things like that
bigborgs
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

SPAAM Cash : 1470

Back to top Go down

Post by nsucolonel on Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:24 pm

Well I collect autos because it is something that belongs to them. For example you may never own something that belonged to a player ar celeberty. But having there auto, in my oppion, is owning something that is theres. Its even better if you got a cancelled check or stuff like that. But I also like meeting them and chatting as well.

jason

Looking for Vintage Baseball cards, Vintage baseball memorbilia, Baseball Autos (All HOFers and Future HOFers), Star Wars vintage fugures and Autographs, Star Trek Autographs, Hollywood autographs and memorbilia.
nsucolonel
Original Member

Original Member  Moderator

SPAAM Cash : 2108

http://public.fotki.com/nsucolonel/

Back to top Go down

Post by cubsfan0303 on Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:12 pm

I think what got me into graphing was simply that growing up my family didnt have money to go to games and places that autos would be available, so now that I make a good living and can afford to go to games and signing it kinda makes me feel like Im living the childhood that I would have liked to have been able to have.
cubsfan0303
Original Member

SPAAM Cash : 5089

Back to top Go down

Post by Silly on Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:32 pm

I grew up with my Dad taking me to meet a few Cubs players and then once the Cubs Convention started happening it was a regular family thing growing up. I got out of it for about 10-15 years and chased women. Now I am married so no more chasing so I got back into it about 2.5 years ago.

I actually found a receipt from when we went in 1991. The entire weekend at the Hilton, including multiple room service for a family of 4 was $227!

Silly
Original Member

SPAAM Cash : 6494

Back to top Go down

Post by Stallion0122 on Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:34 pm

For me, I would have to thank my dad who got me into autos. Still remeber my dad looking at the tribune and there was an ad to meet Whitey Ford and Yogi Berra at Skokie Holiday Inn. They were both $8 each thats was back in 1988. Since I was still huge in collecting cards, I also remeber getting the Shaquille O'neal redemption card out of pack of Upper Deck at the show too. As time went on, we never missed a autograph show, soxfest, cubs convention and bears convention.
Stallion0122
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

SPAAM Cash : 614

Back to top Go down

Post by tk2323 on Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:59 pm

I grew up in Nebraska and in 1992 Mr.T did an instore at a new comic book store. My dad took me and I got a comic signed. Being 7 yrs old and to met someone famous was the greatest. That same year my mom worked with a lady who dated Nebraskas punt returner. One day she dropped off around 8 graphs for me and I freaked out. In high school my friends and I went to a lot of concerts, wrestling shows ect and I got stuck driving to most of them. The payoff was being able to tell everyone we are not leaving until we get stuff signed. A lot of the shows were very easy to do just that. It made the hobby that much more fun. Then in 2003 my friend Kurt and I were going to Chicago for Primus show. He had told me about these shows were you could get autos and meet players. It was on the same day as the concert. That was my first Sun Times show and it would change my life forever.
tk2323
Rookie
Rookie

SPAAM Cash : 903

Back to top Go down

Post by coachk28 on Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:25 am

My dad!

Growing up in the 1960's and 70s he spent a lot of time getting Chicago Cubs autographs at Cubs games and around Wrigley Field.

Unfortunately he never cared about getting non-Chicago Cubs players. Otherwise there would be a ton of vintage Aaron, Mays, Gibson, Musial, Clemente, Mazeroski, Rose, Snider and other various NL stars during those two decades.

We were always big card collectors and the casual autograph collector... but I didn't get into hard core autograph collecting until a couple of years ago when I started collecting autographs for charity fundraisers.

SPAAM Founder
Chief Administrator

SPAAM Founder  Chief Administrator

SPAAM Cash : 13332

http://coachkscollection.weebly.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by lerxst2112 on Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:30 am

I guess I'd have to say it was switching gears from card collecting. I started out trying to collect every Cubs card made. It was a huge endeavor but still within reason... until the 90's rolled in and everyone on earth was printing cards. So that project went by the wayside and autograph collecting filled that void.
lerxst2112
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

SPAAM Cash : 814

Back to top Go down

Post by xtra-innings on Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:05 am

I started collecting autographs in 1984 when my brother took me to my first San Diego Chargers training camp. All I had was a pennent (which I still own and hangs in my sports room). I got the whole team...players like Dan Fouts, Kellen Winslow, Charlie Joiner, and Head Coach Don 'Air' Coryell.

Later that year (1984)...sorry Cubs fans...the Padres won the NL Title and went to the World Series. Since it was the Padres' first pennent, I started to buy cards and the following spring, we went to see the Padres in Yuma, AZ at their (old) training camp. I got the signatures of Gwynn, Garvey, and Garry Templeton (to name a few) and the "autograph bug" bit me. From then on...I've been collecting sigs both IP and TTM.
xtra-innings
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SPAAM Cash : 7119
TTM King TTM King

http://us.ebid.net/perl/main.cgi?mo=user-store&title=xtra-in

Back to top Go down

Post by coachk28 on Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:57 am

Bump

Thumbs Up

SPAAM Founder
Chief Administrator

SPAAM Founder  Chief Administrator

SPAAM Cash : 13332

http://coachkscollection.weebly.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by vjw0307 on Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:05 pm

Yea, I agree with one of the post above...was a huge card collector as a kid...just happened to be the worst era in card collecting (late 80's, early 90's)...20-30k cards that are worth next to nothing because of over producing. No telling how much money I spent as a kid and only have bunch of worthless cards to show for it. I stopped collecting really anything sports related for probably a decade and about 12-15 years ago...started mailing off to teams. Just a few here and there...occasionally would get an autograph here and there...then I started sending to players TTM.

I loved the history of baseball...loved the old timers and I remember as a kid wanting these player's autographs and RC's but I couldn't afford growing up. The Nolan Ryan RC was the card that stood out...so finally bought one...only to get lost in the mail on the way to Jerry Koosman to have signed Evil or Very Mad So now that I'm older and have a decent job, I've decided to start collecting some of those childhood heroes. I will purchase a card here and there...but really not into card collecting anymore unless its something rare or was something I always wanted growing up.

Plus, my step-dad is a huge yanks fan...he was the one that really got me into studying baseball when I was a kid...its fun to show my collection to him, especially my Mantle, Ford's, Berra's, etc...he won't admit it, but he loves looking at them just as much as I do.

1953 Archives: 1953 Archives Set

500 HR Club: 20/25
3,000 Hit Club: 18/28
Baseball HOF Members: 112/294
1953 Archives: 233/242
1963 Topps: 346/576
vjw0307
All-Star
All-Star

SPAAM Cash : 5630

http://s900.photobucket.com/albums/ac210/vjw0307/

Back to top Go down