SPAAM Collectors Forum
Welcome to The SPAAM Collectors Forum!

SPorts Autographs And Memorabilia

Create a FREE account to get full access to the forum!

SPAAM Signature Spotlight Series #1 - Cat Osterman

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Post by coachk28 on Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:39 pm

As previously mentioned SPAAM will be doing a Signature Spotlight Series, where SPAAM members will be interviewing eachother about their autograph collections.

We will also try to interview athletes as well about the autograph collecting hobby.  Especially athletes that have collections themselves.

SPAAM has already locked in their first athlete interview guest...  professional softball player and olympian Cat Osterman!

We will be doing a contest centered around the interview, and here is how it is going to work.

We want members of SPAAM to post questions they would like to ask Cat Osterman about her sports career or about the autograph collecting hobby.

Please keep your questions appropriate, and remember that the best questions are open ended and can NOT be answered with just one word.

Depending on the number of questions submitted we will take the Best 3 Questions and include them in our interview.  Cat will be given a choice as to which 1 of the 3 Questions submitted by our SPAAM Members she wants to answer.  If she chooses to answer the question you submitted, you will win an autograph 8x10 of Cat Osterman.

So start submitting your questions by posting them in this thread.  You can submit multiple questions, but only one question per day.  If there are duplicate questions, then the question that gets posted first will count.  The others will be deleted and you will be asked to post a different one.

We do not know the exact day/time the interview will take place yet, but it will be in the very near future.  So we will keep you posted on that, so you have time to post your questions.

Hope to see you all participate!

Good luck!

Last edited by coachk28 on Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:38 pm; edited 2 times in total

SPAAM Founder
Chief Administrator

SPAAM Founder  Chief Administrator

SPAAM Cash : 13332

http://coachkscollection.weebly.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: SPAAM Signature Spotlight Series #1 - Cat Osterman

Post by tiger7171 on Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:10 pm

i have had an email conversation with her and she is very nice.
tiger7171
All-Star
All-Star

SPAAM Cash : 4599

Back to top Go down

Post by coachk28 on Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:02 pm

tiger7171 wrote:i have had an email conversation  with her and she is very nice.

Totally.

Her and I have chatted on several occasions IP through out the NPF season and via Twitter.

SPAAM Founder
Chief Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by spiltbeerpirate on Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:56 pm

Question for Cat.

I saw on your website that you have a disclaimer about correspondence with High School students.

"HIGH SCHOOL STUDENTS: As a NCAA coach, if you are in high school and write her a letter, Cat is not allowed to respond. She will send autograph requests back signed, but cannot send any written correspondence due to NCAA rules.""

How do you feel about these NCAA rules and do you think its excessive?
spiltbeerpirate
Rookie
Rookie

SPAAM Cash : 139

Back to top Go down

Post by vjw0307 on Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:23 pm

Yes, I would like to know if she would sign this picture...  Smile

1953 Archives: 1953 Archives Set

500 HR Club: 20/25
3,000 Hit Club: 18/28
Baseball HOF Members: 112/294
1953 Archives: 233/242
1963 Topps: 346/576
vjw0307
All-Star
All-Star

SPAAM Cash : 5630

http://s900.photobucket.com/albums/ac210/vjw0307/

Back to top Go down

Post by coachk28 on Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:38 pm

vjw0307 wrote:Yes, I would like to know if she would sign this picture...  Smile

What the heck is that from?

lol!

Looks like Watley, Mendoza, and Lappin in there as well.

SPAAM Founder
Chief Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by POHara on Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:06 pm

vjw0307 wrote:Yes, I would like to know if she would sign this picture...  Smile

She should tie her shoes before she has an accident!
POHara

SPAAM Cash : 2254

Back to top Go down

Post by vjw0307 on Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:53 pm

Its from one of the ESPN "Body" issues.

vjw0307
All-Star
All-Star

Back to top Go down

Post by anthonyburris on Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:04 pm

My question is this... do you think that the fact that baseball can't/won't send it's best to play in Olympics hurt the combined baseball/softball bid to be added back to the Games?
anthonyburris
Sports Fan
Sports Fan

SPAAM Cash : 24

Back to top Go down

Post by vjw0307 on Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:46 pm

Ask her why only a few female softball players really make it to the limelight where they become a house hold name? Cat Osterman and Jennie Fench are really the only 2 female softball players that I could name...

vjw0307
All-Star
All-Star

Back to top Go down

Post by yipster32 on Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:44 am

Ask: what is her inspiration for collecting, and what keeps the motivation going?
yipster32
All-Star
All-Star

SPAAM Cash : 5004

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:16 pm

What is the weirdest/most awkward spot you have been asked for an autograph? (Bet a dollar it's when I asked her, right Coach)

Back to top Go down

Post by wliambas19 on Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:00 am

Is there any particular item you refuse to sign? If so, why?
wliambas19
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

SPAAM Cash : 1701

Back to top Go down

Post by KG55 on Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:55 am

POHara wrote:

Way to provide CoachK some additional jerking material for the next month
KG55
Original Member

Original Member  Moderator

SPAAM Cash : 2907

Back to top Go down

Post by coachk28 on Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:40 am

KG55 wrote:
POHara wrote:

Way to provide CoachK some additional jerking material for the next month

That pic will have to get in line.

I much prefer the selfie pics Carneys mom sends me!

Lol. Jk

SPAAM Founder
Chief Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by spiltbeerpirate on Fri Nov 29, 2013 7:23 pm

uhoh, Coach is "sexting" for autographs again.... Embarassed 
spiltbeerpirate
Rookie
Rookie

Back to top Go down

Post by coachk28 on Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:02 pm

Have your questions submitted before the end of this weekend (December 1st). This contest will then close, and the top questions will be included in the interview.

SPAAM Founder
Chief Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by harryhudini on Sat Nov 30, 2013 2:49 pm

Here is my question:

After your Sophomore year, you were chosen to represent the USA in the Athens Olympics. How did that feel as a college student being asked to represent your country on such a global stage?

harryhudini
Sports Fan
Sports Fan

SPAAM Cash : 7

Back to top Go down

Post by spiltbeerpirate on Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:46 pm

is the interview going to be on youtube or via email?
spiltbeerpirate
Rookie
Rookie

Back to top Go down

Post by coachk28 on Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:50 am

spiltbeerpirate wrote:is the interview going to be on youtube or via email?

Its easier to conduct the interview via email.

Dont have to worry about working around he schedule.

Since there were only several question submissions... I included all of them in the interview.

Since there are some really good ones... Which ever TWO she chooses to answer, those two people will win a Cat Osterman autograph... One will for sure be an 8x10. The other... I have to look and see what else I have of her. I know I have all kinds of stuff!

SPAAM Founder
Chief Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by coachk28 on Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:40 am

The questions are in her posession.

We should hear back soon!

SPAAM Founder
Chief Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by coachk28 on Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:56 pm

Just got the responses back from Cat.

Will post everything soon.

SPAAM Founder
Chief Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by tiger7171 on Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:42 am

good deal.
tiger7171
All-Star
All-Star

SPAAM Cash : 4599

Back to top Go down

Post by coachk28 on Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:37 pm

SPAAM Signature Spotlight Series #1

Cat Osterman

1.  Thank you for taking the time to do this interview for the SPorts Autographs And Memorabilia (SPAAM) Collecting Forum.  Just in case we have a few members who have been "living under a rock" sort of speak, or don't follow women's sports or the Olympics...

Tell us a little bit about yourself and your athletic career?

I am born and raise in Houston, TX. I played many sports growing up, and fell in love with pitching when I was 11. I loved practicing, and eventually that payed off. I won the Gatorade Female Athlete of the Year award as well as a couple other Player of the Year honors from different organizations. I had a 0.00 ERA as a senior. I then went on to play for the University of Texas. While at Texas I set the NCAA record for strikeouts in a career and strikeouts per 7 innings. I won the USA Collegiate Softball Player of the Year 3 times, as well as Big 12 Pitcher of the Year 4 times. I was a 4 time All American, and my team and I went to the World Series three times. In between my sophomore and junior year I was a member of the 2004 Olympic Team which won the gold medal in Athens, Greece. I was also fortunate enough to be a member of the 2008 Silver Medalist Olympic Softball team.

I have also had the opportunity to play professionally in the NPF. I was a member of the Rockford Thunder in 2007 & 2009. We won the Championship in 2009. After the season concluded, I was traded to the USSSA Pride in Florida. I have played for 4 seasons in Orlando, winning 2 Championships. I was Co Pitcher of the Year in 2011 and Pitcher of the Year in 2013. Playing professionally isn't easy since we don't have equal pay, facilities, etc as men do, but it's a great opportunity to promote our game and give girls something to dream of.

2.  You are one of the biggest names in women's fast pitch softball, and even women's professional sports for that matter.

What made you get into softball in the first place?  Did/are you into playing any other sports?

I originally got into softball because a friend of mine asked me to play on her Little League team. I had a basketball in my hands the day I could walk, and that was my first love. I tried all sports though, and eventually settled on softball and basketball all the way through high school. Now, the only other thing I regularly do is snowboarding when I can in the winter.

3.  You've had an amazing career at the college level, with the US national team, and as a professional in the NPF.  Last April you had announced your retirement from softball, but shortly after decided to come back.

After defeating the Chicago Bandits this year, and winning another championship, are you having any thoughts of hanging it up for good?  Or are you going to stick around and play for a few more years?  What had made you think of retiring in the first place?

I announced a changed my mind because I still love playing. I live for the moments in the circle still, so no winning the championship does not make me reconsider playing. It makes me want season to be here already. I am taking it one year at a time, so there's no time table on when I will hang it up.

4.  Now anyone who has gotten your autograph at a NPF game, may be familiar with your preference to use a purple marker when signing autographs.

Why do you like to sign autographs using the color purple?  When did this start?

The purple marker actually only happens in Chicago. When I was in Rockford our first pack of sharpies were multi color, and they knew my favorite color was purple, so I signed with a purple sharpie. Our GM, Aaron Moore, and at the time he was our intern, Dustin, both moved to work for Chicago when the Thunder relocated. Dustin, out of fun and tradition, makes sure he has a purple sharpie for me!

5.  I'm sure you've signed thousands of autographs through out your career, whether it was at games, clinics, or for memorabilia shows and retailers.

Do any of these experiences stand out?  Do you recall any interesting or unique items you have autographed?  Are their certian items you refuse to sign?

I try to avoid signing faces and skin if possible, but occasionally a kid wants their hand or arm signed. I've signed sports bras, shoes, bows, phone cases, purses, sunglasses, etc… people will have you sign pretty much anything. There aren't many that are over the top interesting. The only one I could think of is a sweat ankle brace. A girl sprinted up to me, asked if I'd sign something, and proceeded to take her shoe and ankle brace off right in front of me. That was a little gross.

6.  Let's say your shopping in downtown Chicago the day of your induction into the USA Olympic Hall of Fame, and an autograph seeker recognizes you walking down the street, and asks you for an autograph.  Would you be willing to sign for that person?  As far as approaching athletes in public and asking them for an autograph, do you feel certain rules or etiquette should apply?  If so, would you mind elaborating?

Haha… I think that scenario really happened! I'm willing to sign as long as people are polite and not being pushy or intrusive. I try to sign any time I'm asked, but I think when people are eating that it's just not polite. They are at dinner with their family, eating a meal, they deserve that time to themselves just like any one else. My family is very understanding, but it's nice to be able to have an uninterrupted meal.

7.  I've heard you have a couple collecting hobbies of your own.  It seems you dabble in collecting autographs and comic books.

Would you mind sharing with us, what you like to collect, and how you got into doing so?  What are some of your favorite items in your collection?

What do I collect… well before I was born my dad began collecting baseball cards for his future athlete. I have a bunch of old baseball cards, but my 1 pride and joy from that first hobby is one of Cal Ripken Jr's rookie cards. I have it in a had plastic case, and I don't touch it. I happen to also wear #8, totally coincidental, so I collect Cal Ripken stuff. I have a signed bat I got at an auction, a ball from his last series at Camden Yards (given to me by a fan), and my mom got a copy of his book personalized to me for Christmas one year. I really like collecting baseball stuff. I have a number of autographed balls from Astros, because they are my favorite team regardless of their record. I have a Nolan Ryan signed baseball and picture with him. I also got a picture with Curt Schilling this summer, and he signed it as well. I have a thing for pitchers usually! I also have complete collections of the first 2-3 seasons of WNBA Cards. That was a HS hobby that I was insistent on.

I also started collecting Wonder Woman comics, which has turned into Wonder Woman anything. My fans have sent me tons of stuff. It's great and a fun little hobby. I have probably around 50+ comics already, which is small to you collectors, but I have yet to actually buy a comic book myself! I have Wonder Woman head phones, a mug, a lunch kit, socks, figurine, pens, and even a pair of converse!

8.  Over the years you have been great with signing your fan mail.  

Can you give us a little insight into the hard work that goes into responding to all of your fan mail?  Many athletes and celebrities send back non authentic autographs (autopen, preprint, secretarial) to their fans, what do you think about that?

Well I think its awful to send an unauthentic autograph. Celebrities are normal people who just have a valued talent, but that doesn't mean your better than anyone. You shouldn't treat someone who is a fan like that, so just sign it yourself. If you aren't going to send an authentic signature, just don't send anything. I won't lie that some of the typed letters people get with autographs are pre written and sent, but I sign every card, picture, ball, etc we send back. It's hard work, but my mom does the hard part. She checks my PO Box and when I get enough mail, she organizes it, and passes it on to me. I just sign, seal and drop it in the mail, but sometimes it's hard. It's not cheap to print your own photos to send. Luckily I have a lot of promo cards from Under Armour when I was with them and Wilson that I sign and send.

9.  (submitted by harryhudini)  After your Sophomore year, you were chosen to represent the USA in the Athens Olympics. How did that feel as a college student being asked to represent your country on such a global stage?

This was a really cool experience. I was the youngest on the roster, and it was only my 2nd year  on the main National Team. I had been on the Elite team before that. I never dreamt of being an Olympian, and once I was part of the process, my real goal was the 2008 team. Going back to school was interesting because people watched the Olympics and asked if I carried my medal (which I did for about a month because I didn't want it out of my sight). I made some really cool friends though because of conversations about the Olympics. It was a defining moment. It changed me as an athlete and as a person because I was put into a situation from where I had to grow up fast. I couldn't be a "College Kid" in the Olympic spotlight. I wouldn't change it for anything!

10.  (Submitted by spiltbeerpirate) I saw on your website that you have a disclaimer about correspondence with High School students.

"HIGH SCHOOL STUDENTS: As a NCAA coach, if you are in high school and write her a letter, Cat is not allowed to respond. She will send autograph requests back signed, but cannot send any written correspondence due to NCAA rules.""

How do you feel about these NCAA rules and do you think its excessive?

NCAA rules are in place for a reason. I don't think this rule is excessive. A coach who doubles as a celebrity or professional athlete could use that to their advantage recruiting wise. I understand it completely. I cannot correspond with a HS softball player as a coach, and I can't try to blur the lines and say I wrote based on being an "athlete" instead. Not to mention, as far as talking and signing while at recruiting, it helps because I can focus on my job. If I signed and took pictures while recruiting, I would seldom watch the athletes.

Last edited by coachk28 on Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:55 pm; edited 1 time in total

SPAAM Founder
Chief Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by coachk28 on Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:48 pm

Congrats to...

harryhudini

spiltbeerpirate

For being our two SPAAM Members who had their submitted questions answered by Cat.

SPAAM Founder
Chief Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top