SPAAM Collectors Forum
Welcome to The SPAAM Collectors Forum!

SPorts Autographs And Memorabilia

Create a FREE account to get full access to the forum!

Good Signers and Good Experiences

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Good Signers and Good Experiences

Post by TheAutoMan on Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:39 pm

First topic message reminder :

We could use a thread on here contrary to the bad signers and bad experiences.

So here are some of my positive experiences.

My favorite one was November 2005 at an MM show. I paid a ticket for Paul Molitor to sign a jersey card for me. The problem was, it didn't turn out that great. So he said, he'll get me something else. He gave me a signed baseball, free of charge and free inscription. He also waved goodbye to me while I was in the lobby.

At that same show I remember Bart Starr and Lee Smith being very nice.

SportsFest 2005 Ron Santo was really nice. Back then there was a commercial of a kid asking Mr. Santo to drive his Chevy. So the first thing I say when I walk up to him is if I could drive his chevy. He chuckled and politely told me no. I asked him to say hi to Pat for me and he said he would.

Starr was very outgoing and talkative. I was 14 at the time and he joked that I was too young to know who he is.

Smith I got him to sign a Cubs base bag and I asked him if he could inscribe Go Cubs. "You got that right!" he said.

Brooks Robinson was another one of my favorites. I had two items but told him I couldn't decide which one. He said to lay them both down for me. That was very kind of him. Didn't mind that I only had one ticket.

Jim Palmer was nice. I remember that after his line was gone I went up to him again and started talking to him about the 1966 Orioles. We had a nice conversation. Without asking, he gave me a free HOF '90 inscription on my 8X10.

Y.A. Tittle was nice. I asked him about the HOF since I am a big HOF person. He agreed with me on Charley Connerly and said he also thinks Frankie Albert should be in.

When I asked Lem Barney to inscribe HOF 92 to an 8X10 I had for him: "I'll give you anything but my social."

Darryl Strawberry was very nice and polite when I met him. I thanked him for signing. "Oh man, you are so welcome."

Steve Bedrosian was a real talker. Very nice man. Painted me as a man with some stats. I asked him why thinks more closers hadn't won a Cy Young. Then we got into talking about players like Thigpen and K-Rod in their record setting season.

Dan Marino was a real class act. I told him how happy I was to finally meet him and that he is one of my favorite historical players and he immediately reached his hand for a handshake.

Bert Blyleven also was very nice. Like Raymond Berry, he asked my name. In addition, he asked where I was from and thanked me for coming out. We both share a dislike of Chicago's South Side team and we talked about that.

How about some of yours?

TheAutoMan
Starter
Starter

SPAAM Cash : 3871

Back to top Go down

Re: Good Signers and Good Experiences

Post by coachk28 on Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:40 pm

xtra-innings wrote:Living in San Diego, I have been graphing Gwynn since 1984 (I was 12 yrs old then). After 28 yrs, he may not know my name but recognizes me and now my 8 yr old son graphs him when we see him. Gwynn can sometimes be moody but he's great with the pen...never failing to sign multiples for fans, often including HOF inscriptions. Whether it be at the SDSU baseball games (head coach) or his twice a year free signings at a local car dealership he's affiliated with...it's always been great!

During SDSU games, he often signs after. In fact, several of us "regulars" have been invited into his office to get clean sigs.

During his car dealership signings, he routinely shows up early then stays late. His policy (not the dealership's) is to go through the line once and sign one per person. If you want another sig, you get back in line before the posted "end time" for the signing and he will usually sign multiples on the second go-around. Sometimes it's one additional sig and other times, he'll "hook you up" with 5 or 6 items. I always take about 10 items with me incase he is in one of his "generous" moods. Where else can you get a HOF sig for free...with inscriptions...and multiple items?!? Fans in San Diego love him and during his signings, folks from Los Angeles and Arizona drive in for the free sigs.

Gwynn signs just about everything dropped infront of him...jerseys, bats, balls, photos, cards, bases, helmets...again...all for free!!

Great post! Not the first time I have heard good things about Tony Gwynn.

I have seen vids of the Gwynn signings at the dealership you are talking about.

There was one in particular I remember him (jokingly/seriously) giving a rude fan a hard time about him autographing a pair of "game used" pants. By no means am I mentioning this to negate the fact Gwynn is a great guy. I just think it's funny!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

coachk28
SPAAM Founder
Chief Administrator

SPAAM Founder  Chief Administrator

SPAAM Cash : 13332

http://coachkscollection.weebly.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by xtra-innings on Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:34 pm

coachk28 wrote:
xtra-innings wrote:Living in San Diego, I have been graphing Gwynn since 1984 (I was 12 yrs old then). After 28 yrs, he may not know my name but recognizes me and now my 8 yr old son graphs him when we see him. Gwynn can sometimes be moody but he's great with the pen...never failing to sign multiples for fans, often including HOF inscriptions. Whether it be at the SDSU baseball games (head coach) or his twice a year free signings at a local car dealership he's affiliated with...it's always been great!

During SDSU games, he often signs after. In fact, several of us "regulars" have been invited into his office to get clean sigs.

During his car dealership signings, he routinely shows up early then stays late. His policy (not the dealership's) is to go through the line once and sign one per person. If you want another sig, you get back in line before the posted "end time" for the signing and he will usually sign multiples on the second go-around. Sometimes it's one additional sig and other times, he'll "hook you up" with 5 or 6 items. I always take about 10 items with me incase he is in one of his "generous" moods. Where else can you get a HOF sig for free...with inscriptions...and multiple items?!? Fans in San Diego love him and during his signings, folks from Los Angeles and Arizona drive in for the free sigs.

Gwynn signs just about everything dropped infront of him...jerseys, bats, balls, photos, cards, bases, helmets...again...all for free!!

Great post! Not the first time I have heard good things about Tony Gwynn.

I have seen vids of the Gwynn signings at the dealership you are talking about.

There was one in particular I remember him (jokingly/seriously) giving a rude fan a hard time about him autographing a pair of "game used" pants. By no means am I mentioning this to negate the fact Gwynn is a great guy. I just think it's funny!

I was there the day this happened...I was already in line for my "second" go around with Tony. That was GREAT!!! lol!

xtra-innings
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SPAAM Cash : 7119
TTM King TTM King

http://us.ebid.net/perl/main.cgi?mo=user-store&title=xtra-in

Back to top Go down

Post by hoganator on Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:50 pm

I had a good experience with Carlos Pena, the 1st basemen of the Tampa Bay Rays. I was at a spring training game this year, and I was waiting for a player to come by and sign an autograph for me. The game was about to start and the field security told all of us to go back to our seats. Just then he came running from the other side of the dugout and told the security man to wait. He signed for me and all of the people around me. He even talked to us for a few minutes. He was a very nice guy!

hoganator
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

SPAAM Cash : 884

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:53 pm

I would have to list Dan Marino as my #1, I could write stories but I'm too lazy at the moment. Toews/Luis Aparicio would be my 2nd place finishers.

Back to top Go down

Post by twinsvikingsfan333 on Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:57 pm

i just went to a radio show for Chad Greenway. It was really awesome! He signed 5 things for me. 3 of them are mine and the 2 others were for my friends. Chad greenway was soooo nice. During the radio break, he would ask little babies to sit one his lap. He would also take time to sign each and every autograph. I will post pictures later.

twinsvikingsfan333
Starter
Starter

SPAAM Cash : 4093

Back to top Go down

Billy Hamilton

Post by Ryeinc on Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:07 am

Living in Pensacola, Florida home of the Reds' new AA team the Pensacola Blue Wahoos I was fortunate enough to witness the amazing season of Billy Hamilton and even had a great interaction with him at a local Toyota dealership event (Which less than five people, including myself showed up to. Poorly advertised event). Billy was very nice and signed a ball and card I had. Even took a picture with me! Very nice guy, only thing is he is very shy and quiet, which surprises me.

All of the Wahoo players are nice as a matter of fact. I have great stories and could go on about all of 'em! Very Happy

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Ryeinc
Sports Fan
Sports Fan

SPAAM Cash : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by coachk28 on Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:43 am

Welcome to SPAAM Ryan. I think youll like it here better than some of those facebook groups.

Thanks for sharing! But... Enough about Billy Hamilton (lol jk Wink ) ... How did that NASA thing go?!?

coachk28
SPAAM Founder
Chief Administrator

SPAAM Founder  Chief Administrator

SPAAM Cash : 13332

http://coachkscollection.weebly.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:48 am

Great story, glad to have you aboard!

Back to top Go down

Post by knicksfannumba1 on Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:03 pm

Really Nice

Steve Novak
Allan Houston
Suzy Kolber (ESPN)
Brett Cecil (Blue Jays Pitxher)
Raymond Felton (Quiet, but will take pictures)

Will Sign, But Won't Talk Much

Joakim Noah
Al Harrington
Tyson Chandler
Amar'e Stoudemire
James White

Nice From What I Hear:

Blake Griffin
Kevin Durant
Deron Williams

From What I Hear, Absolute Jerks:

LeBron
Harden
Brandon Jennings
CP3

knicksfannumba1
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

SPAAM Cash : 1437

Back to top Go down

Post by wliambas19 on Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:16 pm

Good/Great:

Adam Graves was one of the best experiences I have ever had.
Steven Stamkos was amazing.
Dave Bolland was a cool experience
Claude Lemieux believe it or not was very nice
Cal Ripken JR (probably my fav)

Bad/Worst:

Alex Ovechkin
Joey Votto
Eddie Shack

wliambas19
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

SPAAM Cash : 1701

Back to top Go down

Post by Leebo on Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:55 pm

Positive experiences:

Ernest Givins- TTM hands down, he signs everything. I also saw him at Houston 610 Fan Fest in 2012 IP. When I asked him if he'd do the electric slide, his eyes lit up and he said he just might. When I got up to the front and got his autograph, he told me he had already done it and we had a great laugh at my expense. He signed 3 cards and I thanked him for being good to TTM fans- which he acknowledged and said that he appreciates every fan he has.

Ricky Williams- Well he's the most eccentric cat in the universe or just a mind blowing shaman in my opinion. His favorite thing to do when he's talking to you is to talk to you about you. Met him now... 3 times(?) and he recognizes me now and we have a good laugh when I give him different cards every time to sign.

Eric Metcalf- I told him how much I used to love him at UT when I was a kid and waxed nostalgically with him for 10 minutes. I told him that I used to send cards to him that he never signed. He told me he was great with TTM requests so much to his amusement I produced 10 cards on the spot. He signed every one of them. Then he let me tell a waitress that I was Eric Metcalf and we had a great laugh about that.

Greg Townsend- Told me once as a kid when I asked for his autograph as he was coming out of the bathroom, "You want that in yellow or white." He laughed at me and gave it to me later. I ran into him YEARS later and he took a Wrestlemania looking fist bump photo with me and then started talking about each card's photo with crystal clarity about the moment of the sack.

Dick Anderson- I used to go to CGA Youth Golf Tournaments with football celebrities at them. Before I'd go, I'd labor drawing 11x17s of each player I wanted, so that I could stand out. I ran into Dick and he loved his drawing so much, that he said "I have nothing to give you. Oh here's your address. I've got an old book or two I don't need." I thought it was odd and laughed it off. Two weeks later I got a package in the mail from him and it was an autographed copy of "But We Were 14-0". Class act. (Almost the same story for Jan Stenerud at the same tournament.)

Christian Okoye- The same sized guy who actually knew what Tecmo was when I talked to him, I met him at one of his charity events and volunteered for him. He signed 3 cards for me and we sat there for 20 minutes shooting the breeze about life after everybody left. A wonderful man with a heart as huge as his lumbering frame, he gave me a lot of helpful things to think about when I really needed it most.

Lots more but let me skip to the bad...

John Elway- So this golf tournament I was at, the players were supposed to sign for fans. John wanted to enjoy his golf, so as we staked him out he peered over and then barked, "If I sign all your cards, will you just leave me alone?" So we were like: "YEAH." Total jerk.

Michael Irvin- After the Oilers left- in a time of temptation before I quit the sport for a few years, I went to an autograph appearance by the Cowboys at Berger Stadium in Austin. Irvin and Walker were set up at the same table that I was at, and when I got to the front- I humbly expressed my happiness that, “The last two Landry era Cowboys were there.” Michael brushed me off stating, “Sure, we hear that all the time," and then laughed at me. Herschel looked awkwardly my way after he and Irvin signed my cards. I then told Irvin, “He could use my other card to cut his drugs with,” and promptly left to his angry cat-calls. I still think he’s a jerk.

Charlie Ward- At the same event with Eric Metcalf, I met Ward. When Charlie looked at me, he looked at my beer first, then flashed a look of disgust at me before we spoke, which made me feel very sad. When I asked him why he didn’t go to the NFL, he said to me, “It was God’s will.” This was his persistent response to every question I asked. He signed a piece of paper for me, but I was so depressed after that for a week.

Randall Cunningham- (The self absorbed years of Philadelphia) My brother and I waited patiently for Randall at training camp, but he started in the line further down from me. My brother quickly got an autograph from him, and shoved mine back in. As Cunningham continued to sign, it appeared
that I would be next. As he grabbed my card, I breathed a sigh of relief. He then took one look at my brother and said, “I already signed one for you,” dropped the card and the sharpie on the ground and walked away, refusing to address me. Time heals all wounds, but it was a highly disappointing experience for me in my time as an autograph collector.

Leebo
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

SPAAM Cash : 547

Back to top Go down

Post by shadow316 on Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:55 am

Off the top of my head I can think of two incredible IP experiences.

Chris Cooley - I met the Redskins TE at a Pre-Draft party back in March of 2007 in Williamsburg, VA. Didn't know why they were doing it in March, but I wasn't going to over-think it. The line was incredibly long, and I figured there was no way I was going to get through it. Not only did Chris stay hours past the allotted time, he signed all 3 of my items and took the time to chat with me for a few minutes about the upcoming season. He did this with everyone in line, as well. I've seen him a couple of other times since then, even coming out to toss a football around with some kids at a signing. All around great signer.

Shawn Michaels - If you're a wrestling fan, this is definitely a holy grail type of signing. I didn't know what to expect honestly, but I was very surprised with the result. I don't remember the exact year of the signing, but I know it was during his comeback run after DX. Anyone who has been to a WWE signing knows they have always been very strict, and this was no different. They were telling people Shawn could only sign the autograph mats they provided (which are borderline garbage imo.) Most people did not bring their own items, but of course I had my own that I wanted him to sign. Shawn saw the photo I had and asked to see it. It was from his first match against "Stone Cold" Steve Austin. He told me how much he liked the photo, and told me he would be happy to sign it. The rep with him actually told Shawn he couldn't, Shawn looked at him and just signed it anyway. He talked for a minute about that match and really appreciated the photo. Great guy and over the years has become a much better IP signer.

shadow316
Sports Fan
Sports Fan

SPAAM Cash : 35

Back to top Go down

Post by yipster32 on Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:44 am

Had a great experience with mike richter and henrik lundqvist. 2 guys just love the fans.

yipster32
All-Star
All-Star

SPAAM Cash : 5004

Back to top Go down

Post by POHara on Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:17 am

Bobby Ryan at the Total Hockey event last summer ...

Signed my sons' puck & photo then told my wife to bring the baby around for a picture. As they were taking the photo he asked if we had just the two and sent a signed postcard home for our daughter because "it isn't fair that she is doing girl stuff and missing out"

Good guy, not the jag that often gets described in the media.

POHara

SPAAM Cash : 2254

Back to top Go down

Post by stdrwt11 on Sun May 26, 2013 1:01 am

Recent signings:

No one may know these two but Tall Hall and Brad Davis of the Houston Dynamo are great! They both will converse with you and will sign multiple items. I enjoyed talking with them

Johny Hendricks was a great guy who took a pic (go check it out) and signed several items for me.

Vernon Maxwell, Tim Hardway, and Shawn Kemp were all very nice, talkative, and happy to sign.

Dwight Howard, Mitch Ritchmond, and Gary Payton also were great signers who were smiling, talking, and even signed inscriptions as they were signing for free at the Fan Fest for All Star Weekend

stdrwt11
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

SPAAM Cash : 2772

Back to top Go down

Nick Van Exel

Post by nickthequick31 on Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:23 am

I live in Australia but went to the US in 2011 for a month long vacation.

I have always been a huge Nick Van Exel fan, many people ask me why and I have a million reasons!

I emailed the Atlanta Hawks a few months prior of my trip as Nick was an assistant coach there at the time. A staff at the Hawks replied to me and said he would include an early entrance bracelet into the game I had tickets for and walk me down courtside to see if Nick would come over, although he could not guarantee me anything. I got the Hawks game and was so nervous, I got my pick up tix and no bracelet....I was crushed. I went down the early entrance and found a staff member, I informed him who I had been in contact with and the guy was standing 3 feet away! He quickly grabbed 2 bracelets for me and my wife and walked us straight in.

Once inside he walked us under the basket where Nick was sitting 30 feet away talking to Baron Davis. He noticed me out the corner of his eye (I had on a NVE Cincinnati jersey) finished his conversation and walked right over. I was introduced by the Hawks staff member and Nick instantly shook my hand and asked me where I am from. Once telling Nick I was from Australia he started asking all the questions, he seemed really legit and interested. I told him about my trip so far, I asked if he could write an inscription on my poster and sign it for me and he posed for a couple of photo's, went even better than I could have hoped.

After arriving home from the States, about 2 months later I got an email from Nick's fiance. She had seen my NVE youtube channel and website listing the roughly 400 Van Exel game DVD's I have collected and asked If Id be willing to sell copies. I told her of my recent encounter meeting Nick and she said he remembered me and he was looking for copies of games he had played in as he only had a handful himself. I have since been copying every game and sending them to Nick at the Hawks facility. In return (I didnt want $) I got a bunch of Hawks team gear, shorts, hats, socks, shooting shirts, t-shirts ect, he sent me a video for my 30th Bday wishing me a happy birthday. I am yet to receive this but he is sending me back a bunch of signed jersey's, getting some Dominique Wilkins personally signed jersey's and personally signed pics from other Hawks players.

This is my coolest autograph story, I love reading stories of athletes who are nice people and care about fans so I thought Id share mine.

I have met a few other athletes in my time:

Kyrie Irving (came to Aust in July) Paid $200 for a 2 hour training session Kyrie was at. Was promised a pic and 1 signed item. Once arriving Kyrie was just doing his individual workout, we were supposed to see and copy the drill he was doing. After an hour he decided he wanted to play some 5 on 5 games. Games went for 5 minutes and they rotated everyone through so everyone got to play against him at least once. I got to play him twice, the first my friend recorded on his iphone the second one he didnt. After the training there was a photo booth set up to get pics but he said he was not going to sign, apparently he was over signing as he was being swarmed by everyone. He was friendly shaking everyones hands for the pics, a few rushed after him after to get a autograph but I didnt. After I was getting a coke from the vending machine when Kyrie by himself walked right past me. I asked if he could sign my jersey and he did, I cracked a joke about him hitting a few 3's on my head and he laughed.  Here is the video of the first game, I posted it on my Van Exel channel....the Van Exel bday video is also on this channel.

Hersey Hawkins (96' on NBA Jam Session tour) nice guy, signed a bunch of cards for me.
John Starks (NBA Jam Session '11 in LA) didnt really speak just signed a card for me.
AC Green (Disneyland LA 11') Didnt get an autograph as It was a coincidental run in, got a pic and seemed like a nice guy.
Eric Dickerson (Pro Bowl 11') Got a mini ball signed, seemed nice.
Jevon Kearse (Pro Bowl 11') Signed same mini ball, seemed nice also.
Jonny Flynn (Played in Australia last year) was real nice, personally signed a pic for me and posed for a photo, real nice genuine guy.
Dee Brown (Celtics) came to Australia a few years back, got a personally signed pic and he seemed nice.

Last edited by nickthequick31 on Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:26 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added another photo)

nickthequick31
Sports Fan
Sports Fan

SPAAM Cash : 12

http://bradssportgames.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

Post by weekirk on Sun Sep 07, 2014 12:11 am

I posted in the bad signers thread when I first joined here and always felt bad that I posted about a negative and didn't post about any of my positive experiences.  Thing is though it's literally impossible to just pick 1 or even 1 dozen "good" signers.   So I figure I'll make a few posts mentioning the best of the best.    
  I've noticed that in general Boxers seem to be the best signers.  I think it has something to do with the more $$ they made in their careers, was directly tied to how many tickets got sold to their fights.  Or it could be because of all the time I spent at Boxing HOF functions where guys were expected to sign and were trying to promote the HOF.  
  So I'll start with boxers in this post and move to others sports  in future posts.  

Picking the nicest/best like I said is impossible, but I can easily say the celebrity I've gotten along with the best was  LEON SPINKS.   I can't say enough about how great I got along with him.  First time I met him my buddy & I walked into Grazianos across from the HOF  ordered drinks and I notice Leon is standing next to me.  I ask him if he'll sign a glove for me, he says no problem.  As I'm going through my bag to pull out a glove the Knicks-Rockets NBA Final game comes back from commercial.  So I tell him how about I leave him alone till after the game,  I'm sure he wants to watch it like I do.  He says "Thanks man, I appreciate it."   Which also seemed to stop other people around us from asking him to sign stuff while the game was on.  At one point late in the 4th Qtr somebody else asks him to sign something.  He did but told the guy why couldn't he be like me and wait till after the game to ask him.   My buddy and I wound up spending most of that weekend hanging out drinking with him in Grazis.     Then again the next year and not quite as much the next year, cause Leon had his wife with him.   But just a great guy and we have a very similar sense of humor so it seemed like we were always laughing.   2nd year I walk in Grazis and before I even saw him I hear his voice saying "You ain't shit!", and we both just started cracking up.    haven't seen him in years and wonder if he'd remember me after all these years.  Actually I'm sure he'd remember he knows me, not sure if he'd remember exactly who I am though.  

As far as autograph signing goes, I saw Oscar Delahoya signing for a lonnnnnng line of people outside the back door of the Hall and 2 guys from the HOF are trying to move him away to some function inside.  He kept pushing them away, and just went on signing.  I saw Christy Martin do the same thing, but she had like 10-12 of us to sign for.  Oscar had well over a hundred.   I was very impressed.  

Alexis Arguello was one of the nicest people I've ever met.  First couple of years at the HOF he would thank YOU for asking him to sign something and give a half bow.  

Joe Frazier was strange.   Maybe the only person I've ever met who was pretty nice when he was drinking and not at all when sober.    

Angelo Dundee like Arguello was easily among the nicest people I ever met.    

I watched Jordan's last game as a Bull with Beau Jack and,  I'm trying to get stories about his career out of him and all he could talk about was how great he thought Jordan was.  

Ray Leonard was also very nice. Never saw him turn anybody down.  

Obviously I've spent a lot of time around boxers.  I'd suggest anybody who collects autographs and is a boxing fan to go to at least 1 induction weekend.   I haven't been in over 10 years,, job, life, etc.,  so I'm not sure how different it is these days, but even if it's half as good as it used to be, it's well worth the trip.

weekirk
Rookie
Rookie

SPAAM Cash : 139

Back to top Go down

Post by weekirk on Sun Sep 07, 2014 12:38 am

Almost forgot a story about a boxer I wanted to share.  Out of all the celebrities I've ever met the person who was most unlike what I had expected was Hector "Macho" Camacho.   He was up at the HOF doing a promotion for his signing to fight Julio Cesar Chavez.   I got him to sign a couple of things and wished him good luck against Chavez.   His reply was, "Thanks, I'm going to need it."   Which was as completely opposite of his public persona as possible.    It was amazing how humble and soft spoken he was in private.   And as soon as cameras were rolling he was a loud mouth braggart.

weekirk
Rookie
Rookie

Back to top Go down

Post by weekirk on Sun Sep 07, 2014 1:12 am

One last Boxing story, because it's Ali.  I don't count guys as being nice if I meet them at paid signings like a card show or book signing.  I do count it when they aren't nice though.  Hey, don't take the $$ if you're going to be miserable.  

This goes back to the early 90s at a Hofstra Univ show.  I guess they sold more tickets than they should have or Ali was very slow in signing cause they were really trying to hurry people through the line.   So as I get up to him and he's signing my book, I start telling him the story from when he fought Ernie Shavers.  Freshman year in HS and I'm trying to get anybody I know to bet me on the fight, with no takers.   Fight is on network TV and 1st round Shavers rocks him a couple of times and looks like he's close to putting him away.   Just as the round ends my phone rings, 1 of my friends wants to bet.  I tell him okay but I'm now laying 6/5, not 9/5.   Says sure,bets on.  I hang up, phone rings again immediately .   Different friend, same thing, same terms, I have another bet.   Round 2 starts, phone rings again, same thing .. all though the 2nd round and into the 3rd.  By the time I'm done I have well over $50 in bets.  This in 1976 and as a HS freshman.  I don't OWN $50!!  

AS I'm telling him this story, the people running the line are trying to move me along and Ali's going "Leave him alone, I want to hear this"   So I'm telling him how I watched the entire fight on my feet, jumping around throwing punches in the air, rooting him on like my life depended on it.   He loved the story, reaches over, shakes my hand, and the girl who was next to him giving out those signed islamic pamphlets gave me an extra 1, and tells me, "he really liked your story."

weekirk
Rookie
Rookie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top