SPAAM Collectors Forum
Welcome to The SPAAM Collectors Forum!

SPorts Autographs And Memorabilia

Create a FREE account to get full access to the forum!

Good Signers and Good Experiences

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Good Signers and Good Experiences

Post by TheAutoMan on Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:39 pm

We could use a thread on here contrary to the bad signers and bad experiences.

So here are some of my positive experiences.

My favorite one was November 2005 at an MM show. I paid a ticket for Paul Molitor to sign a jersey card for me. The problem was, it didn't turn out that great. So he said, he'll get me something else. He gave me a signed baseball, free of charge and free inscription. He also waved goodbye to me while I was in the lobby.

At that same show I remember Bart Starr and Lee Smith being very nice.

SportsFest 2005 Ron Santo was really nice. Back then there was a commercial of a kid asking Mr. Santo to drive his Chevy. So the first thing I say when I walk up to him is if I could drive his chevy. He chuckled and politely told me no. I asked him to say hi to Pat for me and he said he would.

Starr was very outgoing and talkative. I was 14 at the time and he joked that I was too young to know who he is.

Smith I got him to sign a Cubs base bag and I asked him if he could inscribe Go Cubs. "You got that right!" he said.

Brooks Robinson was another one of my favorites. I had two items but told him I couldn't decide which one. He said to lay them both down for me. That was very kind of him. Didn't mind that I only had one ticket.

Jim Palmer was nice. I remember that after his line was gone I went up to him again and started talking to him about the 1966 Orioles. We had a nice conversation. Without asking, he gave me a free HOF '90 inscription on my 8X10.

Y.A. Tittle was nice. I asked him about the HOF since I am a big HOF person. He agreed with me on Charley Connerly and said he also thinks Frankie Albert should be in.

When I asked Lem Barney to inscribe HOF 92 to an 8X10 I had for him: "I'll give you anything but my social."

Darryl Strawberry was very nice and polite when I met him. I thanked him for signing. "Oh man, you are so welcome."

Steve Bedrosian was a real talker. Very nice man. Painted me as a man with some stats. I asked him why thinks more closers hadn't won a Cy Young. Then we got into talking about players like Thigpen and K-Rod in their record setting season.

Dan Marino was a real class act. I told him how happy I was to finally meet him and that he is one of my favorite historical players and he immediately reached his hand for a handshake.

Bert Blyleven also was very nice. Like Raymond Berry, he asked my name. In addition, he asked where I was from and thanked me for coming out. We both share a dislike of Chicago's South Side team and we talked about that.

How about some of yours?

TheAutoMan
Starter
Starter

SPAAM Cash : 3871

Back to top Go down

Re: Good Signers and Good Experiences

Post by Guest on Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:02 pm

At the Mounted Memories Show a couple years ago, Ernie Banks recognized me and call me over "Hey, Steve". We had a conversation about baseball, life, and even women haha. He offered to sign my 16x20 for free after he saw the piece I was working on, I couldn't believe how nice he was. Got 3/5 now on my 16x20 of shortstops (Aparicio (check), Ozzie Smith (check), Banks (check), Ripken, and Yount)

Dan Marino was great as well, I love the picture I took with him. It is a moment in my life I'll never forget of how nice he was and how great of a guy. Shortly after, I went over the Butkus' line and he laughed at me cause I had a Marino jersey on and he screamed across the show "Dan, your pretty popular around here huh" haha. I chuckled and then spoke about how the Bears are my team, and that Dan is just one of my favorite players.

Bobby Hull is one of my favorites, the guy never fails to put smiles on people's faces.

Back to top Go down

Post by TheAutoMan on Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:07 pm

Funny, I too wore a Marino jersey that day.

That is awesome that Banks not only knew who you were but gave you a free one. That is awesome. I can only imagine how that conversation went seeing the character that Ernie is.

TheAutoMan
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:09 pm

He told me I need to get a girlfriend because he's seen me too much -_-

Back to top Go down

Post by coachk28 on Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:18 am

At least years March show I was collecting autographs for my Make-A-Wish charity event.

I had already talked to Becky Bautista... the lady from Mounted Memories who is in charge of the autograph pavilion. She told me, while she couldn't donate any autograph tickets or autographs... she would allow me to go in all the autograph lines and ask all the athletes if they would sign stuff for me for free. And she did guarantee me a free autograph from Dick Butkus... all I had to do was say Becky said it was ok for him to sign my items. I guess Becky is a manager for Mr. Butkus b/c if you try to contact him via his website... she is the one that gets back to you.

As far as the athletes I had good experiences with at that show and signed items for me for free for my Make-A-Wish charity event were...
- Ernie Banks
- Dennis Rodman
- Jokim Noah
- Dick Butkus
- Mike Singletary
- Jim McMahon
- Tim Raines
- Mike Ditka
- Carlos Boozer
- Brian Scalabrinie

I know there was more... but I can't remember who all was at the show.

The only people I had issues with were Scottie Pippen and some of the handlers working the tables.

coachk28
SPAAM Founder
Chief Administrator

SPAAM Founder  Chief Administrator

SPAAM Cash : 13332

http://coachkscollection.weebly.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by TheAutoMan on Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:45 pm

I've really heard a lot about Pippen. Maybe I should try him sometime at a show.

TheAutoMan
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Stallion0122 on Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:03 pm

Some of my good experiences:
Dan Marino (came up to me at a golf event since I had Dolphins hat on and signed my program, I was 14)
John Elway (made sure everyone had an autogrpah before he tee'd off at the same event)
Walter PAyton
Neal Anderson
Ernie Banks
Hulk Hogan (met many times always said yes)
Goldberg
Brock Lesnar
Trish Stratus (built a friendship)
Mickie James
Harry Carrey
Mark Grace
Gary Carter
Ozzie Smith
Deacon Jones
Mike Singletary
Brian Urlacher (rookie year)
Dick Butkus
Roger Staubach
Charley Trippi
Don Shula
Bart Starr
Doug Atkins
Raymond Berry
Michael Jordan
Dennis Rodman
Bill Cartwright
BJ Armstrong
Minnie Minoso
Stan Mikita
Dennis Savard
Chris Chelios
Bobby Hull
Tony Esposito
Dan Hampton
Stan Jones
Cal Ripken (met after his last game played at Comiskey Park)
John Cena
Tom Waddle
Johnny Depp
Val Kilmer
Barry Sanders
Peyton Manning
Bart Starr
Raymond Berry
Billy Shaw
Gino Marchetti
Mike Ditka

Stallion0122
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

SPAAM Cash : 614

Back to top Go down

Post by coachk28 on Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:07 pm

Have you gotten Mikita recently?

He is for sure on the naughty list now!!!

coachk28
SPAAM Founder
Chief Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Stallion0122 on Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:02 pm

No..I say I got him in the mid 90's at a charity Special Olympic show at the All-State Arena. Keith Magnuson was there too..I got both of them on each on seperate pucks. Magnuson signed 3-4 things for me just by telling him I have the same first name. He was a nice guy, too bad hes gone.

As for Mikita, Ive heard some things about him. He also appeared at Mike Ditka's HOF charity show, he was ok there too and that was about 5 years ago. Too bad these promotores ruin stuff, Ditka's shows were great. The most expensive guy was Ditka at $50 on anything with any iscrip. I got Lawerence Taylor on a full size proline for $40 with HOF inscrip. When he found out how much they were charging he got pissed and wanted them to ante it up more. Ive heard bad things about Taylor too. Whats the latest on Mikita?

Stallion0122
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

Back to top Go down

Post by coachk28 on Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:18 pm

Mikita is just old and crabby now for the most part.

He doesn't sign too often any more due to his health. And when he does sign, it's obviouis he doesn't want to be there.

At free signings he will not do insciprtions... he especially will not HOF anything.

If you want an HOF inscription it has to be at a paid signing. And he wont HOF anything he already signed before.

coachk28
SPAAM Founder
Chief Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Stallion0122 on Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:47 pm

Im not suprised at all. As long as he didnt pull a Pippen/McKinnon...its ok to be old and crabby..ive gotten few of those guys that were like that.

Stallion0122
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

Back to top Go down

Post by cubsfan0303 on Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:00 pm

Stallion0122 wrote:Im not suprised at all. As long as he didnt pull a Pippen/McKinnon...its ok to be old and crabby..ive gotten few of those guys that were like that.
When I met Bob Feller he was old and crabby and not very nice...

cubsfan0303
Original Member

Original Member  Moderator

SPAAM Cash : 5089

Back to top Go down

Post by TheAutoMan on Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:27 pm

Feller, Mikita and Taylor were all nice.

So that explains why Mikita wouldn't HOF my One Goal book. The person standing over him said no due to the line. I'm thinking, "What's five characters- HOF 83. Would take five seconds."

I loved Ditka's shows. Those were even better than MM's shows.

TheAutoMan
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Stallion0122 on Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:43 pm

Most of the guys I got were in the 90's...so those guys were 20 yrs younger..

Stallion0122
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaded on Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:55 pm

Mikita's new thing now is that he won't sign with a blue sharpie unless its at a paid signing

Jaded
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

SPAAM Cash : 262

Back to top Go down

Post by Stallion0122 on Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:33 pm

Slip him a $10 spot with the marker and tell him its a paid signing.

Stallion0122
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

Back to top Go down

Post by TheAutoMan on Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:16 pm

Jaded wrote:Mikita's new thing now is that he won't sign with a blue sharpie unless its at a paid signing

When did he start this? I got him in blue just last year.

TheAutoMan
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:46 pm

Jaded wrote:Mikita's new thing now is that he won't sign with a blue sharpie unless its at a paid signing

Seriously?

Back to top Go down

Post by stdrwt11 on Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:45 am

Ernie Banks- This guy was great. He was really nice and then at one point he started dancing and singing. he then walked through the line and started signing randomly and then hit on some lady next to me. He was a trip. Very amusing.

Deacon Jones/Eric Dickerson- Really laid back guys who were very nice. Commented on my 49ers Jersey I was wearing and asked me about the team.

Nolan Ryan/Cal Ripken Jr.- both posed for photos and were very friendly.

Carlton Fisk- With one inscription ticket he inscribed "1975 Gm 6 World Series GW HR Stay Fair! Stay Fair!"

Frank Thomas/Jim Brown/Ernie Banks- Gave me a 2 inscriptions when I paid for 1.

stdrwt11
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

SPAAM Cash : 2772

Back to top Go down

Post by trk306 on Tue May 29, 2012 3:23 pm

Gary Matthews - It was 1984 the cubs were hot and everbody loved the Sarge. He was scheduled to do a free signing at a local business. I was the first one there (even as a little kid I knew to arrive early). Well the Sarge ended up getting hurt at home that morning, leg injury of some sort and had a quick trip to the hospital. I waited patiently and when he finally showed up he as polite as could be appologizing for being late and taking time to talk baseball with a 10 year old and take a picture and sign a couple of things for me. He could have easily blown off the whole thing and nobody would have blamed him!

trk306
Rookie
Rookie

SPAAM Cash : 222

Back to top Go down

Post by coachk28 on Tue May 29, 2012 3:36 pm

stdrwt11 wrote:Ernie Banks- This guy was great. He was really nice and then at one point he started dancing and singing. he then walked through the line and started signing randomly and then hit on some lady next to me. He was a trip. Very amusing.

Was this at the Microsoft Store opening?

coachk28
SPAAM Founder
Chief Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by trk306 on Tue May 29, 2012 3:42 pm

Was this at the Microsoft Store opening?[/quote]

I am so mad I missed that one! It's like five minutes from my house and due to the USPS delaying the mail I got the flyer for the grand opening the day after he was there! UGGhh!

trk306
Rookie
Rookie

SPAAM Cash : 222

Back to top Go down

Post by twinsvikingsfan333 on Tue May 29, 2012 9:33 pm

My favorite experience was with 2012 Football College HOFer, Vikings QB football , Used to be drunk a lot Chug , its Tommy Kramer! So I was at a signing for him 2 years ago and he wanted to see if i was a good QB and he stepped out of his signing chair, took a nfl football and started to play catch with me for 10 Minutes! It was the best, and he still remembers my name! He was so nice That was my favorite signing! afro

twinsvikingsfan333
Starter
Starter

SPAAM Cash : 4093

Back to top Go down

Post by stdrwt11 on Tue May 29, 2012 11:20 pm

coachk28 wrote:
stdrwt11 wrote:Ernie Banks- This guy was great. He was really nice and then at one point he started dancing and singing. he then walked through the line and started signing randomly and then hit on some lady next to me. He was a trip. Very amusing.

Was this at the Microsoft Store opening?

No, it was at the Mounted Memories show a few years ago. Did he do this at the Microsoft Store opening as well?

stdrwt11
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

SPAAM Cash : 2772

Back to top Go down

Tony Gwynn

Post by xtra-innings on Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:31 pm

Living in San Diego, I have been graphing Gwynn since 1984 (I was 12 yrs old then). After 28 yrs, he may not know my name but recognizes me and now my 8 yr old son graphs him when we see him. Gwynn can sometimes be moody but he's great with the pen...never failing to sign multiples for fans, often including HOF inscriptions. Whether it be at the SDSU baseball games (head coach) or his twice a year free signings at a local car dealership he's affiliated with...it's always been great!

During SDSU games, he often signs after. In fact, several of us "regulars" have been invited into his office to get clean sigs.

During his car dealership signings, he routinely shows up early then stays late. His policy (not the dealership's) is to go through the line once and sign one per person. If you want another sig, you get back in line before the posted "end time" for the signing and he will usually sign multiples on the second go-around. Sometimes it's one additional sig and other times, he'll "hook you up" with 5 or 6 items. I always take about 10 items with me incase he is in one of his "generous" moods. Where else can you get a HOF sig for free...with inscriptions...and multiple items?!? Fans in San Diego love him and during his signings, folks from Los Angeles and Arizona drive in for the free sigs.

Gwynn signs just about everything dropped infront of him...jerseys, bats, balls, photos, cards, bases, helmets...again...all for free!!

xtra-innings
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SPAAM Cash : 7119
TTM King TTM King

http://us.ebid.net/perl/main.cgi?mo=user-store&title=xtra-in

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 10:49 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next