SPAAM Collectors Forum
Welcome to The SPAAM Collectors Forum!

SPorts Autographs And Memorabilia

Create a FREE account to get full access to the forum!

Iventory of Items

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Iventory of Items

Post by stdrwt11 on Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:09 pm

Has anyone else done inventory on their items?  It seems like it should be common sense to do so but I have never really done it other than writing down things at times.  I finally decided to really put it all down and just in case something happened to all my stuff. 

It took me all day to take everything I own and put it in order by sport, authentication numbers, and inscriptions.  Anyways, now that it is done I am glad I did it and it was fun too haha.  I suggest doing it with your stuff. 

I will try to post pics of my room later if you would like to see some things.
stdrwt11
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

SPAAM Cash : 2772

Back to top Go down

Re: Iventory of Items

Post by papafro on Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:05 pm

I have excel spreadsheets for almost everything: signed bats; signed baseballs; signed pucks; signed mini helmets. I also have spread sheets for every Chicago sports team (photos).
I take digital photos 1x monthly to add to a DVR so my insurance is always updated. Drop off a thumb drive to my agent quarterly to help in insurance updates as well.

After my freshman year in college, I stopped counting individual items signed when I went over 4000 signed cards and photos.
papafro
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

SPAAM Cash : 293

Back to top Go down

Post by stdrwt11 on Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:14 pm

Holy crap, 4000? Haha. I have a decent collection but no where near that. Taking pics is a great idea though too and backing them up. So ypu have your stuff i.sured? I thought about it but wouldn't it be covered under home owners insurance?
stdrwt11
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

Back to top Go down

Post by papafro on Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:26 pm

Specific collectible items ARE NOT COVERED under most home insurance policies.  I have a rider for my collectibles. Some people seek coverage under a rider for silverware, furs, antiques, cameras, jewelry, etc.
To my knowledge you have to show proof of the value of collectible in order to get it insured.

I keep track of whatever I obtain; (including IP Free signings). 99.9% of the items that I have signed are not authenticated or certified by hologram or by PSA DNA/JSA. Back in the day you didn't think about taking pictures when getting an autograph.

I have had a few things looked at by PSA/JSA that they would not authenticate. I have an old timers day program signed in purple Flair pen by 18 baseball HOF'ers. The people  at PSA would not authenticate the item because they said that purple sharpies were not around in the late 70's. Those clowns don't know the difference between a papermate flair marker and a sharpie.
papafro
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

SPAAM Cash : 293

Back to top Go down

Post by yipster32 on Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:41 am

i catalog everything i collect- autos, DVD collector sets, figures. i have a collection site:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

its not every single thing in my collection, but when i get a shot at getting an appraisal, i will definitely get insurance.
yipster32
All-Star
All-Star

SPAAM Cash : 5004

Back to top Go down

Post by jswieton on Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:08 am

It is very difficult to insure sports collectibles.  I have read horror stories of insurance companies not paying or paying a fraction of what something is worth even when items are properly documented and photographed. Unless you have specific collectible policy like papafro you will have a very difficult time recouping your losses in full if the time came when the insurance company actually had to pay.  I have spent a fair amount of time looking into getting insurance for my collection and it is very expensive to get a policy with a reputable company to cover sports collectibles. I have a buddy that has a portion of his graded card collection insured and he pays around $400 per year for $20,000 worth of coverage and I think that just covered theft and fire damage.
jswieton
Rookie
Rookie

SPAAM Cash : 161

Back to top Go down

Post by stdrwt11 on Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:33 pm

Geez, that is pricey! Thanks for the info and I guess I need to check with my insurance company and I need pics haha. I do have most of my stuff authenticated with online holos and I usually get rare inscriptions so that makes it a little easier I guess.
stdrwt11
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

Back to top Go down

Post by vjw0307 on Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:35 pm

I have a program on my Mac that catalogues all of my DVDs...tells me when I bought them and how long I've owned them along with a photo of the movie. I can sort the movies by actors, directors, title, genre, etc and also gives me crazy facts like what actor appears in the most of my movies...

BUT...that was the question. I've always had a somewhat running catalogue of my items through photobucket where I have it broken down by sport or genre of auto. I've just recently started an excel sheet that details all of my items and can be sorted by signer, medium (ball, photo, etc), approximate value and where its stored. I'm maybe 40% of the way through with that. This helps me because I have stuff stored in 2 different closets and in a safe deposit box and always get frustrated about not knowing exactly which box my items are in haha.

1953 Archives: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

500 HR Club: 20/25
3,000 Hit Club: 18/28
Baseball HOF Members: 112/294
1953 Archives: 233/242
1963 Topps: 346/576
vjw0307
All-Star
All-Star

SPAAM Cash : 5630

http://s900.photobucket.com/albums/ac210/vjw0307/

Back to top Go down