SPAAM Collectors Forum
Welcome to The SPAAM Collectors Forum!

SPorts Autographs And Memorabilia

Create a FREE account to get full access to the forum!

The Indicator on Autographs

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The Indicator on Autographs

Post by Guest on Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:33 pm

When players sign for free, whether it be at the venue, hotel, free signing, or what have you, some of them use what I call, an indicator. I was first made aware of this by former Chicago Blackhawk, Steve Sullivan. Just a super cool guy to talk to, and we were talking at the Blackhawks Season Ticket holder party in the early 2000s. The Blackhawks had a season ticket holder party at the United Center, where half the team were at table on the second level and you got in line for autographs and the other half of the team would be on the first level playing game and interacting with the fans and half way through the event, the team would switch and team upstairs would come down and the other half upstairs to sign autographs.

Never really well attended, it was easy to get autographs from the entire team as they would sign on the first level as well. Anyway, I was having a chat with Steve Sullivan, probably for his hockey stick, and he says this right before a lady comes up for an autograph, "Watch this, I know this lady sell on eBay". He proceeds to sign her photo with a smile, and he puts a line underneath his autograph. He would do it for anyone he thought sold their stuff on eBay and he would look there to see how many did end up there.

Some guys just do a shortened autograph, but I realize some still use an indicator. I know Patrick Sharp used to put a line underneath his autograph for people who he thought sold he autograph. And after getting Paul Goldschmidt recently on an ROMLB, I see that he uses a squiggle as an indicator. This is what Goldschmidt gave me:

Here's an example of Patrick Sharp's line indicator:

Most of this is subtle, and maybe unintentional, but after Sullivan showed me why he did it, I just happen to notice it. Anyone else you guys knows that may use an indicator?

Back to top Go down

Re: The Indicator on Autographs

Post by coachk28 on Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:20 pm

Great topic. IM gonna have to check my stuff.

SPAAM Founder
Chief Administrator

SPAAM Founder  Chief Administrator

SPAAM Cash : 13332

http://coachkscollection.weebly.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:36 pm

Ok, I stand corrected on Goldschmidt.....that squiggle is a 44. LOL!

But, players do use an indicator sometimes....

Back to top Go down

Post by kenoshacub on Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:43 pm

Didn't Sayers used to put the line of his "G" through the "S" to show a dollar sign if he knew you were selling it?

kenoshacub
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

SPAAM Cash : 330

Back to top Go down

Post by coachk28 on Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:07 am

kenoshacub wrote:Didn't Sayers used to put the line of his "G" through the "S" to show a dollar sign if he knew you were selling it?

I know he had a tendency to sign his TTMs like that.... If he even signed them... Usually his wife was known to sign most of his autograph requests.

SPAAM Founder
Chief Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by tiger7171 on Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:43 am

this is a good topic.
tiger7171
All-Star
All-Star

SPAAM Cash : 4599

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:09 am

I remember Sayers signing like that for some at his radio remotes at Hooters back in the day. If he recognized you, or felt that you were a dealer, or noticed you double dipping, you got a G with the S of Sayers cutting through the stem of the G to look almost like a $. I have an example somewhere....

Back to top Go down

Post by coachk28 on Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:55 am

Desi_M wrote:I remember Sayers signing like that for some at his radio remotes at Hooters back in the day. If he recognized you, or felt that you were a dealer, or noticed you double dipping, you got a G with the S of Sayers cutting through the stem of the G to look almost like a $. I have an example somewhere....

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
coachk28
SPAAM Founder
Chief Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by kenoshacub on Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:58 am

Thats it, he did it if he saw you with a back pack also. I never got one like that because i didn't go to all the remotes. But heard he did it.

kenoshacub
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:02 am

OT - But imagine those remotes now...lines would form hours before the remote even started. Back then, you could actually sit at a table, enjoy something to eat and get up for an autograph during the break....at every break!

Back to top Go down

Post by coachk28 on Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:12 am

Last "cheap" Sayers signing I went to was a few years ago at a restaurant in Indiana. He was supposed to be there with Paul Hornung, but Paul canceled.

So Sayers was like 2 graphs for $30 or something like that.

The amount of tickets sold was crazy... and the Gomez clan literally had shopping carts of stuff.

I only got two things signed and my ticket number was in almost in the hundreds. Of course when I got my stuff signed, I was behind the Gomez family, after they had made their 3rd trip or so through the line. So he was not pleased at all.

If memory serves me correct... I remember seeing a few of the
G $ayers graphs that day.

SPAAM Founder
Chief Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by kenoshacub on Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:55 pm

Desi_M wrote:OT - But imagine those remotes now...lines would form hours before the remote even started. Back then, you could actually sit at a table, enjoy something to eat and get up for an autograph during the break....at every break!

Yep you're right. There was never a lot of people there. Could have wings and get 3-4 graphs from him. Last one I went to was in Vernon Hills, that Hooters is now gone.

kenoshacub
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:05 pm

kenoshacub wrote:
Desi_M wrote:OT - But imagine those remotes now...lines would form hours before the remote even started. Back then, you could actually sit at a table, enjoy something to eat and get up for an autograph during the break....at every break!

Yep you're right. There was never a lot of people there. Could have wings and get 3-4 graphs from him. Last one I went to was in Vernon Hills, that Hooters is now gone.

We old.

Back to top Go down

Post by FourFeathers on Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:08 am

Desi_M wrote:We old.

Yeah you are.
FourFeathers
Starter
Starter

SPAAM Cash : 2345

Back to top Go down