SPAAM Collectors Forum
Welcome to The SPAAM Collectors Forum!

SPorts Autographs And Memorabilia

Create a FREE account to get full access to the forum!

Costco 16x20 Bleeding Autographs Discussion

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Costco 16x20 Bleeding Autographs Discussion

Post by Guest on Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:08 am

I know we have discussed this issue in the past, but I thought I would revive this for discussion. I have heard many people discussing that Costco images signed in blue sharpie have bled before. I wanted to get information on this, since I know a lot of you use Costco. I usually tend to do 16's from Adorama, but have done Costco in a pinch. I know FourFeathers has said he has bad experiences before, however Coach, PapaFro, and Silly among others have said they had never had problems. Just thought I would throw this out there....

Back to top Go down

Re: Costco 16x20 Bleeding Autographs Discussion

Post by coachk28 on Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:17 am

Correct... Never had an issue.

Another big collector I know who has been printing at Costco for a long time and getting his stuff signed hasn't had an issue either.

Unless we all plan on living past the age of 100... Who cares how long this stuff will last. Lol jk

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]  l  [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]  l   [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]  l    [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] l [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]    [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
coachk28
SPAAM Founder
Chief Administrator

SPAAM Founder  Chief Administrator

SPAAM Cash : 13332

http://coachkscollection.weebly.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by coachk28 on Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:33 am

Markers that tend to bleed after long periods of time... Usually have "water" as an ingredient to their ink. As far as I know... Sharpies do not use water.... Just a bunch of crazy chemicals.

It all boils down to how you care for you memorabilia.

I would be more worried about it fading.... Expose them to direct light for long periods of time and your graph will fade away before it ever bleeds.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]  l  [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]  l   [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]  l    [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] l [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]    [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
coachk28
SPAAM Founder
Chief Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Silly on Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:51 am

Talks about their printers and whatnot. I haven't had a time to read it so not sure how informational it is.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Silly
Original Member

Original Member  Moderator

SPAAM Cash : 6494

Back to top Go down

Post by kenoshacub on Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:01 am

I know they use different paper on their 16's than 11's n 8's. I've never had a problem with bleeding on 11's n 8's. So this might be why. Like carney mentioned, always use adorama if possible, otherwise you're asking for trouble.

kenoshacub
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

SPAAM Cash : 330

Back to top Go down

Post by papafro on Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:47 am

Typically 75% of the 16's that I order and 80% of my 8 x 10's that I order are from Adorama. With Adorama not selling prepaids right now, I have been using Costco (and running into board members there!). I have yet to experience bleeding on images from either Costco or Adorama.
I don't like the 16's I print at Costco because of the white border, but in a pinch, it is what is.

The big CURRENT concern among people that I talk to all the time is the metallic images ordered from Adorama. Although I have yet to have a problem with any signed metallic photos from Adorama, I have heard from others that they are experiencing an issue with the signatures quickly fading from the metallic surface. This may be something that becomes an issue for us.
papafro
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

SPAAM Cash : 293

Back to top Go down

Post by coachk28 on Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:58 am

Glad that you mentioned the Metallic issue. Because OfficialPix (The Star Wars photo licensing company) also does metallic photos... and some people are having similar issues with the graphs fading faster on their metallic photos also.

coachk28
SPAAM Founder
Chief Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by tiger7171 on Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:33 pm

i have been ordering my photos thru artscow. havent had an issue with them. i still use adorama. i last orered some from walgreens because they had free shipping and 25% off. it was the cheapest place at that time.
tiger7171
All-Star
All-Star

SPAAM Cash : 4599

Back to top Go down

Post by coachk28 on Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:50 pm

tiger7171 wrote:i have been ordering my photos thru artscow. havent had an issue with them. i still use adorama. i last orered some from walgreens because they had free shipping and 25% off. it was the cheapest place at that time.

I need to give away some more artscow prints!

coachk28
SPAAM Founder
Chief Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by kenoshacub on Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:17 pm

I hope thats false about the metallics, because images show up so much brighter on that stock.

kenoshacub
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

SPAAM Cash : 330

Back to top Go down

Post by SoonerOrLater on Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:32 pm

If Costco uses Epson on their 16x20s they will bleed over time. All Epson photos do that, they are garbage
SoonerOrLater
Water Boy
Water Boy

SPAAM Cash : 79

Back to top Go down

Post by POHara on Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:22 pm

SoonerOrLater wrote:If Costco uses Epson on their 16x20s they will bleed over time. All Epson photos do that, they are garbage

So, you're saying the photos will bleed "Sooner or Later" ROTFL
POHara

SPAAM Cash : 2254

Back to top Go down

Post by papafro on Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:16 pm

I have seen a metallic Hawks HOF Hallway Photo that has had signatures fade already. Not sure how it was stored, but the signatures have definitely faded.
papafro
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

SPAAM Cash : 293

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:04 am

This all boils down to how they were printed. Anything inkjet, which Costco 16x20s are, will most likely bleed over time....I'm talking years. I say most likely because technology has come a long way and it's possible this issue may have been corrected.

I used to print my own photos about about 10 years ago when I bought a professional photo printer (inkjet) and the autographs on a majority of those photos have bled into the colors of the photos. These photos were all in storage, in binders, in plastic pages. I recently took a look at them after moving and saw what happened to them. Most of those photos 8 years old or more.

The 8x10s and 11x14s and 12x18s that Costco run off are professional lab prints and glossy. I have found the autographs to hold up well over time. I loved Photofiles when they were glossy...not a fan of their matte finish. Mind you their matte finish is professional lab prints and not ink jet so I'm not expecting any issues with autographs on Photofile matte finish photos.

As far as Metallica, that is my choice finish when I'm printing photos from Adorama. The images just "pop" to me and I love how it looks. I have a number of metallic signed 16x20s that are framed and there is no issue with fading whatsoever....either using blue sharpie or paint pen.

Like I said, ink jet technology may have come a long way, but my photos from previous inkjet technology have bled. Go with a professional lab print like Adorama's glossy or metallic finish....they so far withstood the sands of time.

-Desi

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:42 am

So Metallica has been printing photos since they stopped doing concerts?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:46 am

Touche.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Apr 20, 2013 2:03 am

My question is this, ever notice how autographed photos from say the 70's still look good, how is that possible? I mean, undoubtedly the printing materials back then were worse, yet the autographs on those photos still hold up.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Apr 20, 2013 2:18 am

Professional photo labs...different processing. In other words, it's not inkjet.

Back to top Go down

Post by coachk28 on Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:49 am

Carney wrote:So Metallica has been printing photos since they stopped doing concerts?

Don't they have a song... Fade to Black?

That's why these Metallics are fading! Lol

coachk28
SPAAM Founder
Chief Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by knicksfannumba1 on Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:15 pm

Thx so much for bringing this up. I was going to do a ton of 16x20s from Costco, but now I will only do 11x14. You just saved me a ton of money, because photos can add up.
knicksfannumba1
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

SPAAM Cash : 1437

Back to top Go down

Post by knicksfannumba1 on Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:49 pm

I'm confused, so Costco 16x20s fade/bleed, but Adorama doesn't. Can someone please clear this up? Thx

Mike
knicksfannumba1
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

SPAAM Cash : 1437

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:02 pm

To be honest, it seems like no one knows the answer about Costcos. People worry since they use an inkjet printer for 16's but no one has printed off 16's for that long off a $5,000 inkjet printer before, and the people who have been using Costco for awhile haven't had problems yet it seems . (Epson 7880 is what Costco uses). Adoramas don't have any questionable issues cause they use chemicals on all their printers no matter the size in a professional photo lab. So far though, it seems a majority of Costco 16s on this board have held up, so I guess only time will tell.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:45 pm

Costco uses an inkjet for processing 16x20s. Inkjet photos, in my experience, have led to autographs bleeding in with the colors of the photo. Again, I no longer choose this kind of processing and possibly the technology in inkjet may have changed so that doesn't happen, but only time with tell.

Adorama uses different processing for 16x20s, which is professional lab printing. I have not encountered any issues with their work, but some have experienced fading on the metallic(a) finish.

In a nutshell, the process that Costco uses for 16x20s is completely different from what Adorama uses. The process that Costco uses for 12x18s and smaller is the same as the process that Adorama uses.

Back to top Go down

Post by Silly on Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:06 pm

This may be a dumb question but I assume it only applies to sharpies and not paint?

Silly
Original Member

Original Member  Moderator

SPAAM Cash : 6494

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:00 pm

Silly wrote:This may be a dumb question but I assume it only applies to sharpies and not paint?

I saw some of my inkjet photos from back in the day signed in paint pen and I believe they are still good.

I'll try to pull some out of storage when I get a chance and show you some samples...

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top