SPAAM Collectors Forum
Welcome to The SPAAM Collectors Forum!

SPorts Autographs And Memorabilia

Create a FREE account to get full access to the forum!

WARNING: Bad Signers & Horrible Autograph Experiences!!!

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic View next topic Go down

WARNING: Bad Signers & Horrible Autograph Experiences!!!

Post by coachk28 on Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:38 pm

First topic message reminder :

Bad Signers & Horrible Autograph Experiences

Have you ever had a bad autograph experience? An athlete that was just completely rude or someone who is very reluctant to sign in person?

Tell us your stories and rant here!!!

Last edited by coachk28 on Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

SPAAM Founder
Chief Administrator

SPAAM Founder  Chief Administrator

SPAAM Cash : 13332

http://coachkscollection.weebly.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: WARNING: Bad Signers & Horrible Autograph Experiences!!!

Post by sun devil on Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:24 pm

I've run into quite a few myself over the years. Hands-down the biggest jerk ever was Chi-Chi Rodriguez. The scumbag tried to run my brother and I over with his golf cart. I have dozens of horrible experiences but this was the worst.

If you are about to ask just what exactly did we do to upset him? We simply approached him after getting autographs of: Jack Nicklaus, Lee Trevino, Ray Floyd, and other Senior Tour players from the '91 Tradition at Desert Mountain. Rodriguez would stop and sign for kids who looked to be under the age of 10 but treated everyone else like crap. We did end up getting his autographs on his Pro Set card that was placed in his players locker by a club member who wanted to help us out. Smile
sun devil
Water Boy
Water Boy

SPAAM Cash : 107

http://sundevilmikesautographs.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by badgerboys2 on Sat Aug 25, 2012 5:24 pm

The worst MiLB signer I've ever ran into was last night the Snappers Chiefs game. Me and Hawkeyes had to chase down eddie rosario to get him to sign our cards. Even then he reluctantly did so

badgerboys2
Water Boy
Water Boy

SPAAM Cash : 46

Back to top Go down

Post by FourFeathers on Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:28 pm

Players don't owe any of us autographs. I've never understood people in this hobby that label a guy an asshole cause he turned down a request. Looks childish and ignorant IMO.
FourFeathers
Starter
Starter

SPAAM Cash : 2345

Back to top Go down

Post by Chi-townpaulie on Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:56 pm

this is a story from a friend.
But i guess he was at a charity golf outing Jordan was in, at the time my frinde was about 10 years old, so he asks mike for an autograph on his bulls hat.

Mikes reply, You got 200 bucks kid.

Chi-townpaulie
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

SPAAM Cash : 2108

Back to top Go down

Post by spiltbeerpirate on Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:01 am

Steve Yzerman was horrible everytime I met him.
spiltbeerpirate
Rookie
Rookie

SPAAM Cash : 139

Back to top Go down

Post by spiltbeerpirate on Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:51 am

FourFeathers wrote:Players don't owe any of us autographs. I've never understood people in this hobby that label a guy an asshole cause he turned down a request.  Looks childish and ignorant IMO.
Look, dealing with fan wanting photo ops and autographs is part of the gig. I agree there are many graphers that throw a tempertantrum when they get turned down and begin insulting the player. But some players ARE assholes about it. It you are going to show up at a charity event and then be a dickhead to the fans....are you really showing support to the charity? No, celebs dont owe me a thing and Im grateful for every graph I get. But thats no excuse to be rude to me just because I ask. I dont care how many of their graphs end up on ebay or what negative experiences theyve had in the past. A large portion of that comes with accepting the huge salary contracts. They could have said no and be sitting at home watching ESPN on the couch like the rest of us. But, no, they wanted the money, and the spotlight, and the FAME. There is good and bad in everything, and they should be able to deal with it with dignity and respect or GTFO.
Thats just my rant. Carry on....
spiltbeerpirate
Rookie
Rookie

SPAAM Cash : 139

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:11 pm

I agree with the above, it certainly is a misconception that players owe us anything by any means other than their play on the field. However when I asked for an autograph from Bob Uecker, and he gave me the finger, I believe I have the right to have a negative opinion of him. Barring I never responded and just laughed it off because I don't take this hobby as seriously as everyone else, but I'll remember it and won't try for it again and share my experience with others.
Fans do play a huge rule into why any and every celebrity and athlete becomes successful off the field, due to popularity and hype. They are paid to do their job on the field, from the revenue of the team. People pay to watch the product on the field. People have this fallacy that paying to watch a team play, entitles players to be nice to them and stop for every autograph and photo. It is not.
Some people take this hobby to a new low and give collectors a bad name, it's a shame.

Back to top Go down

Post by FourFeathers on Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:23 pm

My comment from August got quoted and replied to on November 21st.

Funny to me.

If I were a famous athlete, I'd call you all assholes to the people on my Famous Athletes Only message board. It would impact the world the same as you guys doing it to them here on the SPAAM board.

Ps, carney's my homie.
FourFeathers
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:36 pm

FourFeathers wrote:My comment from August got quoted and replied to on November 21st.

Funny to me.

If I were a famous athlete, I'd call you all assholes to the people on my Famous Athletes Only message board. It would impact the world the same as you guys doing it to them here on the SPAAM board.

Ps, carney's my homie.
I'll make sure to give you a hug on Sunday.

Back to top Go down

Post by Leebo on Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:44 am

Michael Irvin- He and Herschel Walker were at a table together signing for fans. When I got up there I was elated because they were the last of the 'Landry Boys'. I told them how excited I was and Herschel was great as usual, - but Michael started chiding me and being rude to me. Herschel sorta looked the other way like "Leave me out of it..." when I looked at Walker while Irvin was going off. I got my autograph and tossed another card at him and told him to, "Keep it so he could cut his coke with it." He was not too happy that I got the last word in.

Chewbacca- Yes I had a run in with the actor who played Chewbacca. When I asked for his autograph at a convention he yelled at me, "NO! I AM LEAVING!" Heck I just asked and he was seated at the table like he was still giving them... So I said, "Yeah no wonder they gave Han Solo a bigger role in the movies..." He called me all these words in the English dictionary for English people from England. I am assuming they were curse words.

Had a few others over the years with guys like Randall Cunningham and Alexander Wright, but nothing as exciting or bizarre such as these where I got the last word in after they were rude to me.
Leebo
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

SPAAM Cash : 547

Back to top Go down

Post by FourFeathers on Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:42 am

Leebo wrote:Michael Irvin- He and Herschel Walker were at a table together signing for fans. When I got up there I was elated because they were the last of the 'Landry Boys'. I told them how excited I was and Herschel was great as usual, - but Michael started chiding me and being rude to me. Herschel sorta looked the other way like "Leave me out of it..." when I looked at Walker while Irvin was going off. I got my autograph and tossed another card at him and told him to, "Keep it so he could cut his coke with it." He was not too happy that I got the last word in.

Chewbacca- Yes I had a run in with the actor who played Chewbacca. When I asked for his autograph at a convention he yelled at me, "NO! I AM LEAVING!" Heck I just asked and he was seated at the table like he was still giving them... So I said, "Yeah no wonder they gave Han Solo a bigger role in the movies..." He called me all these words in the English dictionary for English people from England.  I am assuming they were curse words.

Had a few others over the years with guys like Randall Cunningham and Alexander Wright, but nothing as exciting or bizarre such as these where I got the last word in after they were rude to me.
So.....you were an asshole back to these guys? Maybe you're the problem, not them.

FourFeathers
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Leebo on Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:26 am

No. Not at all. I've been doing ip since 1990. I think I understand the ins and outs of the art by then. I didn't violate any unsaid rules and certainly if somebody is incredibly rude specifically to me for absolutely no reason, especially for something they are being compensated for, I have every right to be upset if I don't receive those services properly. Ive had plenty of ip situations where players volunteered to sign everything I had on me because we had a good conversation, and I'm sure overall these players have had that too, but just because I give them what they dish out doesn't make me the jerk here.
Leebo
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

Back to top Go down

Post by kenoshacub on Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:48 am

My theory on this has always been if i approach you at a game, outside the park or venue, the hotel, etc. I deserve what ever you give to me. The graph or a hard time. But if you are at an event at which you are being paid to be there you don't need to cop the attitude. Because if you don't want to be there to deal with people asking for autographs stay the F--k home and leave the cash on the table for someone that wants to be there. To many of these guys want the $$$ but not the interaction with graphers.

kenoshacub
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

SPAAM Cash : 330

Back to top Go down

Post by Leebo on Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:27 pm

^ Absolutely.

I think any player is entitled to a bad day. In fact, there are plenty of times I've defended players acting nasty in public. (Earl Campbell, for example.) I totally understand if a player doesn't want to sign my stuff in public- or it's a "I don't sign xx," situation. That's their prerogative and I understand that. I am not entitled.

There are also plenty of examples here on this post of people who could've given that player a piece of their mind, but they didn't. Just because they are celebrities does not give them the right to treat me rudely. These are situations where they were there to sign autographs, (not a dinner with the family or outside their hotel in between venues).
Leebo
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

Back to top Go down

Post by coachk28 on Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:31 pm

Peter Mayhew (Chewbacca) can for sure be a jerk at times.

But i don't think he's English. I think he's born and raised in the USA.

As for another Star Wars actor that is for sure English and an ass pretty much every time is Anthony Daniels (C3PO). Really pompous and full of him self. Good luck if you ask him to use a certain color ink, or suggest where he signs, or use post it notes.

SPAAM Founder
Chief Administrator

SPAAM Founder  Chief Administrator

SPAAM Cash : 13332

http://coachkscollection.weebly.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic View next topic Back to top