SPAAM Collectors Forum
Welcome to The SPAAM Collectors Forum!

SPorts Autographs And Memorabilia

Create a FREE account to get full access to the forum!

WARNING: Bad Signers & Horrible Autograph Experiences!!!

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

WARNING: Bad Signers & Horrible Autograph Experiences!!!

Post by coachk28 on Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:38 pm

First topic message reminder :

Bad Signers & Horrible Autograph Experiences

Have you ever had a bad autograph experience? An athlete that was just completely rude or someone who is very reluctant to sign in person?

Tell us your stories and rant here!!!

Last edited by coachk28 on Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]  l  [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]  l   [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]  l    [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] l [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]    [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
coachk28
SPAAM Founder
Chief Administrator

SPAAM Founder  Chief Administrator

SPAAM Cash : 13332

http://coachkscollection.weebly.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: WARNING: Bad Signers & Horrible Autograph Experiences!!!

Post by FourFeathers on Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:23 pm

KG55 wrote:
Jaded wrote:yeah my buddy was at that show and he got a Duke football signed in gold and it already looks faded since he signed it so sloppy.

Why a Duke football?

Lol.
FourFeathers
Starter
Starter

SPAAM Cash : 2345

Back to top Go down

Post by coachk28 on Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:27 pm

KG55 wrote:
Jaded wrote:yeah my buddy was at that show and he got a Duke football signed in gold and it already looks faded since he signed it so sloppy.

Why a Duke football?

You know... "The Duke" football...

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]  l  [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]  l   [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]  l    [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] l [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]    [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
coachk28
SPAAM Founder
Chief Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by coachk28 on Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:29 pm

Is this the same person that paid for like 8 RG3 autographs? 3 canvasas, 1 full size helmet, 1 mini helmet, a pair of shoes, a football, and a magazine??? lol

coachk28
SPAAM Founder
Chief Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by KG55 on Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:54 pm

HA k got it
KG55
Original Member

Original Member  Moderator

SPAAM Cash : 2907

Back to top Go down

Post by stdrwt11 on Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:26 pm

Geez that sucks. I saw one guy with a Niner mini that was signed in black and it looke bad. Parts of the auto looked faded and like the marker was running dry. Mine turned out pretty good all said and done but still sloppy looking.

The Duke? Are we talking about the great Dodger Duke Snider? haha
stdrwt11
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

SPAAM Cash : 2772

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaded on Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:37 pm

coachk28 wrote:

Is this the same person that paid for like 8 RG3 autographs? 3 canvasas, 1 full size helmet, 1 mini helmet, a pair of shoes, a football, and a magazine??? lol

you know it bro, haha
Jaded
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

SPAAM Cash : 262

Back to top Go down

Post by wliambas19 on Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:12 am

Joey Votto was a prick to me when he played vs Toronto a couple seasons ago.

I threw him a ball and pen and asked to sign the sweet spot. He gave me the nod (thinking I would get the auto). Well he see's someone run towards him with his high school jersey, he signs the jersey with my pen then throws my pen and ball back unsigned then tells me to keep it to one....im like that wasnt my jersey. I would think coming back home (Toronto) he would sign for fans. Guess not

Last edited by wliambas19 on Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
wliambas19
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

SPAAM Cash : 1701

Back to top Go down

Post by Dthehutt on Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:22 pm

I got Deion at the Supeebowl this year in Indy. He was having dinner at Ahulas Steakhouse at the table next to us. I waited until he was finished eating and I asked him if he would sign. He politly asked if we we leaving and I said no not yet. Deion replied let me know when yoi finish and I will get you. He was leaving before us and he asked if I had a item for him. He signed 2 hof minis and a index card. 1graph for for each of us at the table. The sigs turned out great. I have heard he is a tough mean signer but he was great to us that evening! Oh and one other thing the restaurant was not crowded so he didnt do it because of onlookers. In fact our 2 tables were the only ones occupied at the time.
Dthehutt
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

SPAAM Cash : 643

Back to top Go down

Post by stdrwt11 on Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:29 pm

Dthehutt wrote:I got Deion at the Supeebowl this year in Indy. He was having dinner at Ahulas Steakhouse at the table next to us. I waited until he was finished eating and I asked him if he would sign. He politly asked if we we leaving and I said no not yet. Deion replied let me know when yoi finish and I will get you. He was leaving before us and he asked if I had a item for him. He signed 2 hof minis and a index card. 1graph for for each of us at the table. The sigs turned out great. I have heard he is a tough mean signer but he was great to us that evening! Oh and one other thing the restaurant was not crowded so he didnt do it because of onlookers. In fact our 2 tables were the only ones occupied at the time.

That is cool he signed. Maybe because there was no one else asking? Either way good story. At least he does have some compassion in him for autograph seekers.
stdrwt11
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

Back to top Go down

Post by davidwright5fan on Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:43 pm

Joey Votto was pretty mean to me two summers ago. I went on vacation to California with my family in 2010. I was about 12 years old at the time. We happened to stay at a hotel that the Cincinnati Reds were staying at. I stayed up late that night and waited in the lobby, I didn't see Votto at night, but I did see Brandon Phillips and got to meet him and take a picture. (I wasn't prepared to get autographs, because I didn't know that they would be staying at this hotel). Then that day, as they were heading to the bus I met Scott Rolen, and some others. I saw Joey Votto walking to the bus and I approached him. I asked, "Can I have a pict-" He cut me off and blatantly said "Sorry, no." And just walked away. I thought it was pretty horrible of him to do that. It's not like I was even asking for an autograph... just a picture with him!
davidwright5fan
Sports Fan
Sports Fan

SPAAM Cash : 8

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:23 pm

davidwright5fan wrote:Joey Votto was pretty mean to me two summers ago. I went on vacation to California with my family in 2010. I was about 12 years old at the time. We happened to stay at a hotel that the Cincinnati Reds were staying at. I stayed up late that night and waited in the lobby, I didn't see Votto at night, but I did see Brandon Phillips and got to meet him and take a picture. (I wasn't prepared to get autographs, because I didn't know that they would be staying at this hotel). Then that day, as they were heading to the bus I met Scott Rolen, and some others. I saw Joey Votto walking to the bus and I approached him. I asked, "Can I have a pict-" He cut me off and blatantly said "Sorry, no." And just walked away. I thought it was pretty horrible of him to do that. It's not like I was even asking for an autograph... just a picture with him!

That's not that bad....

Back to top Go down

Post by davidwright5fan on Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:02 am

Carney wrote:
davidwright5fan wrote:Joey Votto was pretty mean to me two summers ago. I went on vacation to California with my family in 2010. I was about 12 years old at the time. We happened to stay at a hotel that the Cincinnati Reds were staying at. I stayed up late that night and waited in the lobby, I didn't see Votto at night, but I did see Brandon Phillips and got to meet him and take a picture. (I wasn't prepared to get autographs, because I didn't know that they would be staying at this hotel). Then that day, as they were heading to the bus I met Scott Rolen, and some others. I saw Joey Votto walking to the bus and I approached him. I asked, "Can I have a pict-" He cut me off and blatantly said "Sorry, no." And just walked away. I thought it was pretty horrible of him to do that. It's not like I was even asking for an autograph... just a picture with him!

That's not that bad....

To me it is. I was 12 years old! For him to turn down a picture with a 12 year old girl is pretty messed up to me. Also, it's not even like he was late to the bus. He was sitting on there for about 20 minutes.
davidwright5fan
Sports Fan
Sports Fan

SPAAM Cash : 8

Back to top Go down

Dennis Rodman

Post by sobol20 on Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:28 pm

I have a ball signed by Rodman at a M.M. show, My ticket was 125+ I do believe, regardless it was late. When I came to the front, I went to hand him the ball, he didn't even look at me when I put it in his hand, he kept talking to his boys complaining that he should be in vegas right now. He dropped the ball, picked it up, didn't look at where he was signing it and signed it on the WILSON part! I looked at him and said "really??", his words "Yep", I walked away pissed......
sobol20
Sports Fan
Sports Fan

SPAAM Cash : 7

Back to top Go down

Post by wliambas19 on Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:32 pm

sobol20 wrote:I have a ball signed by Rodman at a M.M. show, My ticket was 125+ I do believe, regardless it was late. When I came to the front, I went to hand him the ball, he didn't even look at me when I put it in his hand, he kept talking to his boys complaining that he should be in vegas right now. He dropped the ball, picked it up, didn't look at where he was signing it and signed it on the WILSON part! I looked at him and said "really??", his words "Yep", I walked away pissed......

WOW Mad

Dickhead move Middle Finger
wliambas19
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

SPAAM Cash : 1701

Back to top Go down

Post by coachk28 on Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:34 pm

sobol20 wrote:I have a ball signed by Rodman at a M.M. show, My ticket was 125+ I do believe, regardless it was late. When I came to the front, I went to hand him the ball, he didn't even look at me when I put it in his hand, he kept talking to his boys complaining that he should be in vegas right now. He dropped the ball, picked it up, didn't look at where he was signing it and signed it on the WILSON part! I looked at him and said "really??", his words "Yep", I walked away pissed......

Typical current athlete! That sucks man... I feel for you!

I actually had a good experience with Rodman at one of the last shows.

coachk28
SPAAM Founder
Chief Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by stdrwt11 on Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:02 am

Did you take it to MM people and explain, demanding a refund?
stdrwt11
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

Back to top Go down

Post by coachk28 on Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:03 am

stdrwt11 wrote:Did you take it to MM people and explain, demanding a refund?

Usually they are good about making up for messed up autographs... but after the crap they pulled with Carney's Gale Sayers graph... I lost a little respect for MM.

coachk28
SPAAM Founder
Chief Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by stdrwt11 on Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:21 am

What happened?
stdrwt11
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:24 am

I got him at the Sun Times show and he put "best wishes" on my item. After he put that, he wrote HOF 77 and attempted to give my item back to me without signing it! Luckily his handler reminded him without me having to say anything. So it read, Best Wishes HOF 77 Gale Sayers. I talked to someone at MM, and she said he does that to all items, which is complete bullshit especially since the guy right next to met got a jersey done without it. So yah, tell him just the name and HOF if you get the inscription.

Back to top Go down

Post by xtra-innings on Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:18 pm

In 2003 at the Texas Rangers training camp in Surprise, AZ, the team was just finishing their workouts. Rafael Palmiero was walking from one field to the next and only a handful of people were present (it was a mid-week, mid-morning practice). He chose to ignore the fans...normally I'm OK with that...comes with the territory. I'm also OK with players signing for kids only; although this can be a debate for another day, it's just my personal feelings. Very Happy

What I did not like was a child (8-10 yrs old), who was wheelchair bound, all decked out in Rangers gear, patiently waiting near the gate leading to the field. It was obvious the child had muscular sclerosis (MS). Rather than take the 5 seconds to stop and sign for at least this child, he chose not to. He said "I'm working" as he continued to walk through the gate only to disappear through the outfield gate and into the clubhouse. Mad

Several other fans (including myself) commented to the boy's dad about what happened. The boy was upset and his dad told us Palmiero was his favorite player and he was wearing his jersey (which we noticed when his dad pointed it out to us). We joked about finding another Ranger player to "root for and cheer on". According to his dad, his son chose to by pass on all the other players and concentrate on Palmiero. When he was "blown off", he was crushed.

So the day wasn't ruined for him, we gave him signed cards, photos, and a baseball of some of the Rangers players who signed that day. Both the boy and his dad were real appreciative. That experience will always bother me (when players think they walk on water)...even 9+ years later.
xtra-innings
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SPAAM Cash : 7119
TTM King TTM King

http://us.ebid.net/perl/main.cgi?mo=user-store&title=xtra-in

Back to top Go down

Post by hoganator on Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:21 pm

In 2003 at the Texas Rangers training camp in Surprise, AZ, the team was just finishing their workouts. Rafael Palmiero was walking from one field to the next and only a handful of people were present (it was a mid-week, mid-morning practice). He chose to ignore the fans...normally I'm OK with that...comes with the territory. I'm also OK with players signing for kids only; although this can be a debate for another day, it's just my personal feelings.

What I did not like was a child (8-10 yrs old), who was wheelchair bound, all decked out in Rangers gear, patiently waiting near the gate leading to the field. It was obvious the child had muscular sclerosis (MS). Rather than take the 5 seconds to stop and sign for at least this child, he chose not to. He said "I'm working" as he continued to walk through the gate only to disappear through the outfield gate and into the clubhouse.

Several other fans (including myself) commented to the boy's dad about what happened. The boy was upset and his dad told us Palmiero was his favorite player and he was wearing his jersey (which we noticed when his dad pointed it out to us). We joked about finding another Ranger player to "root for and cheer on". According to his dad, his son chose to by pass on all the other players and concentrate on Palmiero. When he was "blown off", he was crushed.

So the day wasn't ruined for him, we gave him signed cards, photos, and a baseball of some of the Rangers players who signed that day. Both the boy and his dad were real appreciative. That experience will always bother me (when players think they walk on water)...even 9+ years later.
I hate it when players do that. What is the harm of stopping and taking 5 minutes of your life to brighten up someone's day, especially a kids? It is good you gave him some autographs, though. That was really generous.
hoganator
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

SPAAM Cash : 884

Back to top Go down

Post by weekirk on Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:18 am

TheAutoMan wrote:I have heard a lot of bad stories on Reggie. I cannot comment because I don't know.

I never had a problem with Reggie. Liked the guy a lot, actually. Outside the Stadium one day in '77 Reggie signed for EVERYbody. And he kept saying; Stop pushing, I'm not going anyhwhere I'll sign for everybody. As long as you guys stop pushing. Then he'd say; Really guys I'm gonna stop signing if you don't stop pushing. Lots of guys signed back then, but not for close to an hour for everybody, while also trying to keep the crowd from getting out of hand.
I saw Reggie sign more things in the first 5 minutes that day then I saw Munson, Nettles and Lyle sign combined in all the times I waited around in 76, 77, 78. Munson, never. Nettles and Lyle once or twice each for 2-3 kids when they got inside the fence to the players parking lot.

After a kid and his parents filed a police complaint against Reggie for allegedly pushing him to the ground- he stopped signing after games.

weekirk
Rookie
Rookie

SPAAM Cash : 139

Back to top Go down

Post by weekirk on Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:52 am

By far the biggest A-hole I ever saw was Jake LaMotta. I have 2 stories;

He's signing at a card show 1 day, gonna say around 1990. He's bitching at the promoter cause there's not enough of a crowd waiting in line for him. Like it's the promoter's fault people don't want to pay for his graph. Then when there'e literally NObody at his table, the promoter gives him a stack of photos to sign. He tells LaMotta sign this one for Mike, this one for Jim, etc, Happy Birthday Eddie, stuff like that. LaMotta tells him; "You know too many f-----g people. I'm signing my name, that;s enough."
At one point a guy around my age comes in with a photo of LaMotta as a kid, with the guy's father. He tells LaMotta you grew up next door to my dad, look at the photo you guys hanging out on like 181st St. LaMotta tells him he has no idea who the other guy in the photo is. Guy tells him it was your next door neighbor growing up. Says his name is ?Vinny? D'Agostino. Remember the D'Agostinos, you used to eat dinners my grandma would make.
He tells the guy; Only f-----g D'Agostinos I know are the neighbors in my building, they own the supermarket chain. Is that you? You want me to sign this thing, or what?
this is like a 5-10 min conversation cause ther'e literally NObody else on line to get his signature. And the only person the entire day who was excited to meet this A-hole, he treats like this.
Classy guy!!!

And he was much classier this time than in the other story I have.

I have to run right now, but I promise I'll post the other story later today.
Sorry I hope that's ok.

weekirk
Rookie
Rookie

Back to top Go down

Post by weekirk on Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:22 pm

LaMotta pt2.

Across the street from the Boxing HOF is a bar/restaurant Graziano's. During induction weekend it's usually packed with former boxers (at least it used to be, haven't gone in a few yrs) and many sign stuff at times.
one night Jake LaMotta sets up at a table in the dining room and is charging people $20 per sig with his son taking the $$. People are trying to eat, waitresses are trying to wait on tables and it's one of the bussiest nights of the year for the restaurant. People are waiting for tables and this guy has comandeered the biggest booth and has set up a sign for pay booth.
Tony the owner comes over and asks the son if he could move it into the bar area. Son says sure, no problem. Tony leaves and the LaMottas keep taking $$ and signing. After 10-15 mins the son tells the father, Tony says they should do this in the bar area. Then they get up, cursing Tony and the place and walk out.

Class act all the way!!

weekirk
Rookie
Rookie

Back to top Go down

Post by coachk28 on Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:43 pm

What a tool bag!
Middle Finger

coachk28
SPAAM Founder
Chief Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top