SPAAM Collectors Forum
Welcome to The SPAAM Collectors Forum!

SPorts Autographs And Memorabilia

Create a FREE account to get full access to the forum!

WARNING: Bad Signers & Horrible Autograph Experiences!!!

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

WARNING: Bad Signers & Horrible Autograph Experiences!!!

Post by coachk28 on Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:38 pm

First topic message reminder :

Bad Signers & Horrible Autograph Experiences

Have you ever had a bad autograph experience? An athlete that was just completely rude or someone who is very reluctant to sign in person?

Tell us your stories and rant here!!!

Last edited by coachk28 on Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

SPAAM Founder
Chief Administrator

SPAAM Founder  Chief Administrator

SPAAM Cash : 13332

http://coachkscollection.weebly.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: WARNING: Bad Signers & Horrible Autograph Experiences!!!

Post by Stallion0122 on Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:40 pm

The reason current players will not sign on the sweet spot is that it gives them bad "luck". I think its stupid, but that is the reason.

I don't know if anyone notice but MM posted that McKinnon will not sign 1986 RC card at the show...douchebag
Stallion0122
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

SPAAM Cash : 614

Back to top Go down

Post by coachk28 on Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:13 pm

Another reason some players will not sign on the sweet spot... is back in the day, the sweet spot was always saved for the manager to sign. Especially when doing a team signed ball. So it's kind of been tradition.

SPAAM Founder
Chief Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by TheAutoMan on Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:29 pm

I'm not surprised by that Michael. Sounds like something he would do.

As far as the sweetspot goes, I don't know. I've never had that problem. All of my balls are sweet spot signed.
TheAutoMan
Starter
Starter

SPAAM Cash : 3871

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:33 pm

You should tear up your rookie cards of him at the show in front of him and record it.

Back to top Go down

Post by TheAutoMan on Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:37 pm

That would be genius.
TheAutoMan
Starter
Starter

SPAAM Cash : 3871

Back to top Go down

Post by KG55 on Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:58 am

Stallion0122 wrote:Deion Sanders is a scumbag. He was in Chicago for a MM show (Cowboys Superbowl Reunion) a few years back. I bought a special proline Falcons helmet for him to sign only. When they start the # calls...I wait because as experience collector to wait a little bit so the guy can warm up and get the ink flowing. I had ticket #7, but I was about #25 in line. Gave my ticket to handler with the helmet. Deion is standing as items are rushed through. I told the handler I want silver. Deion gets the silver and scribbles and the silver flared up. The handler told me it "Sucks" to be me. If I wasn't mad, I probably would of told him to F-off. I should of went to the booth and reported him and my shit signature. I left upset instead. I think from now on, with the Pippens, Dennis McKinnons, and those gravy train handlers say anything, I'm either telling them off (if the items are not important) or I get it re-signed with me standing over them. I know that there is one moran at the shows where him and his wife get re-signs at every show. I' not that type at all. I have a list of douche-bags and stories of each...(Scottie Pippen, Jim Mcmahon, Johnny Bench, Reggie JAckson, Deion Sanders, Ron Harper, Toni Kukoc, Mike Schmidt, Lou Brock, Carlton Fisk (and he really is my fav. player), Frank Thomas, Triple H, Stone Cold Steve Austin, and Ron Santo). If anyone would like to hear about any of my stories let me know.

I'd like to hear a story on Ron Sonto. Ive never had anything but incredible experiences when meeting Santo. Similarly, Ive never heard bad stories about him.

Personally, at the top of my list would be Bo Jackson. Just an all-around d-bag.
KG55
Original Member

Original Member  Moderator

SPAAM Cash : 2907

Back to top Go down

Post by Stallion0122 on Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:49 am

Ron Santo....This might confuse on how some guys act different in the public eye. My dad has owned our family business for over 30 yrs and got a call from Mrs Santo to do some remodeling work on their home. My dad shows on time, goes up to the front door to ring the bell and he can see Ron Santo looking right at him from a chair. My dad knocks on the door as Mrs Santo or Ron do not answer their door yet. Finally, Ron gets off his ass and answers the door and says "What do you want?" My dad tells him that his wife called for some work that she wants done. He tells my dad that she'll be right there, then closes the door in his face. Mrs Santo answers the door apologizing and she starts telling my dad what she wants done. Before my dad proceeds inside their house, the garage door opens and Ron steps out saying, "Move your F-kin truck out of my driveway asshole". My dad moves his truck and he speeds out of the drive in sports car. His wife apologizes for acts. She shows him the work. My dad told me the story the next day and I told him not to send them any estimate. My dad and I have worked for other sports stars before (Bill Cartwright, Lovie Smith, Mike Singletary, and few others). As I have no respect for Santo and he will always be a douchebag in my book. Middle Finger
Stallion0122
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaded on Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:45 pm

Ron probably had an argument with his wife or just had a bad day + he was in his own house not out in public.. I wouldn't think that made him a bad guy
Jaded
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

SPAAM Cash : 262

Back to top Go down

Post by cubsfan0303 on Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:01 pm

Jaded wrote:Ron probably had an argument with his wife or just had a bad day + he was in his own house not out in public.. I wouldn't think that made him a bad guy
When I met Ron he was nothing but awesome to me he signed anything I had let me sit in the golf cart with him until his driver got back and also talked with me and my gf
cubsfan0303
Original Member

SPAAM Cash : 5089

Back to top Go down

Post by Stallion0122 on Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:51 pm

Bad day my ass. I understand that there are die-hard cub fans on here but the guy didnt have a right to be an asshole. Its not my problem that he doesnt communicate with his wife. Ive heard it from other tradesmen as well. Thats still my dad at the end of the day and I wouldn't wish that on anyone. Im sure guys on here that have been sworn at for no reason by a celeb. wouldn't say he was having a "bad day or that doesn't make him a bad guy".
Stallion0122
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:43 pm

Mark Spitz was a prick....wouldn't acknowledge me at all. He signed my item at the MM show, and ignored every question and even my hello.

Back to top Go down

Post by mrmopar on Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:35 pm

These are old stories and in no way are meant to reflect the general response or attitude of the players mentioned. I just like telling them.

In roughly 1980, we were vacationing at the relatives in Southern California. I was a big Dodger fan and Steve Garvey was my favorite player. My aunt told me that Steve Garvey and Don Sutton were appearing at a May Company store close to where they lived. She was going to take my brother and I to it.

I was super pumped. I had just been introduced to the world of baseball a couple years before and I was going to meet my favorite player and get an autograph. Nothing could be cooler at the time.

My aunt was in no hurry to leave and I was growing impatient. Even then, I liked to plan ahead and arrive early...a trait I still maintain. Eventually we left, later than I thought we should have, but then again I knew nothing other than I wanted to get there and meet Garvey. I was 10 or 11 at the time and knew nothing about the logistics of making something like this happen (such as driving, parking, etc).

We got to the store and the line was long, but we took our place. Shortly after they closed the line behind us, and I mean only a dozen or less people behind us! We figured that was it, but we'd get to meet him for sure. My aunt bought us each a Dodger baseball and a 1980 Dodgers yearbook and we anxiously awaited out turn.

It must have been 1/2 hour later and we were finally getting close enough to see Garvey and Sutton, when they suddenly got up and left. The signing was over, yet a large line of people still remained! Bitter disappointment and a little bit of anger towards Garvey, but more so my aunt, who could have left earlier and helped us avoid this unfortunate end.

I assumed later, when I was older and understood things more, that the players probably had to be somewhere, but I was still disappointed. I don't know how much longer it would have taken to finish out the line, or what they had to leave for, but it would have made made for a much better memory.

Although I would build a sizable Steve Garvey collection, including 100s of autographs, I wouldn't fulfill my "dream" until 2001 at the Seattle All Star Fan Fest. It was there that I finally met my childhood idol and obtained that first In person signature. Sadly, I have little time to prepare and all of my collectibles were in storage, so for my big moment, I had a color printer copy on regular paper of the 74 Dodgers yearbook cover for him to sign. Oh well, it was still fun.

My other interesting autograph story was with Carl Yastrzemski.

It must have been 1980, maybe 1981. Boston was in town to play the Mariners and I was waiting along the first base line for players to stop ad sign. Yaz had sat down near the bullpen when a small group of people approached him from the stands. It appeared that they knew him and where there to wish him a happy birthday. They gave him a cake and he chatted with them for a little bit. When hey left, I was able to get him to sign a baseball for me!! I still have the ball that he signed. It was a BP ball with a little wear and Yaz signed it on a side panel. I either earlier that day or later that day got it signed by Eddie Yost as well, who was coaching for Boston at the time.

The next year, Boston was once again in town for Yaz's birthday. I had my mom make him a small baseball shaped cake with the words "Yaz" and his number 8. My friend and I brought the cake to the game and sure enough, he was once again sitting along the first base line. We marched down and tried to get his attention and to give him the cake. This time, he would not even acknowledge out presence. We were right behind him, calling "Mr. Yastrzemski...Happy Birthday, we have a cake for you" and he didn't even say a word or turn around!! We were pretty upset, but in the end we just ate his cake and watched the game.

In hindsight, it's a pretty funny story. I am not sure I would have eaten a cake given to me by a couple of kids in Seattle, but I think I would have at least accepted it, thanks the boys, signed a couple autographs and then chucked the cake in the clubhouse.

Oh well..made for a nice autograph story, 20+ years later.
mrmopar
Water Boy
Water Boy

SPAAM Cash : 220

Back to top Go down

Post by coachk28 on Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:14 pm

That Yaz story is priceless! A bummer... but a great story none the less!!!

Thanks for sharing!

SPAAM Founder
Chief Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by stdrwt11 on Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:38 am

Marshall Faulk was probably the worst I have seen. A few years ago at a GTSM show he was yelling at people telling them not to take pics of him signing and then telling people to hurry up and "let's go, movie it, come on, let's go!" I felt like I was in line for the Soup Nazi.

Michael Strahan was a jerk. I met him at a show in New Jersey. I asked him for his favorite Bible Verse and he just repeated "Bible verse, Bible verse?" I said "yes sir". He gave me this weird look then I said "if not could you please inscribe single season sack leader?" He then write down his total number of career sacks then walked off.

Bart Starr was a really really nice guy but when I asked for a Bible Verse inscription on my NFL F/S Helmet with other HOF or future HOF QB's he said he did not inscirbe verses on those. I was like what the crap? He did inscirbe SBI, SBII MVP but then wrote part of it over the sticker on the lower back side of the helmet lol!
stdrwt11
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

SPAAM Cash : 2772

Back to top Go down

Post by at350zguyy on Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:36 am

Blake Griffin has got to be the moodiest signer in the world. That coupled with the Clippers team security guard enforcing his black sharpie rule makes it one of the worst teams to graph. I got Blake when I saw him this month, but the signature was garbage. He was giving his full signature to kids and a very sloppy abbreviated one to anyone else.
at350zguyy
Sports Fan
Sports Fan

SPAAM Cash : 13

Back to top Go down

Rude people

Post by tk2323 on Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:51 pm

My childhood favorite of all time Emmitt Smith was the biggest dick at the Cowboys show MM put on. I will say I ran out of money and Smith was 200 for a flat and 225 for anything else. Being a Dallas fan I had a full size with Aikman,Irvin,Johnson and Sanders on it already. I bought a flat ticket and got called out. I acted like I didnt know the difference. Smith looked and me said loudly " the difference is 25 bucks " ! All over 25 bucks... wow. After reading and hearing all kinds of stories like this it really made me mad.
Also, Reggie Jackson is a huge dick. He was at feild of dreams in Iowa which is about 30 min from my hometown. A few people were there and Reggie said he didnt have to sign shit for anyone.
Rodman never gives a crap about anyone ever. Id like to not see him anymore. But the 800k he owes for child support I am sure he will be around.
tk2323
Rookie
Rookie

SPAAM Cash : 903

Back to top Go down

Post by FourFeathers on Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:44 pm

Stallion0122 wrote:Ron Santo....This might confuse on how some guys act different in the public eye. My dad has owned our family business for over 30 yrs and got a call from Mrs Santo to do some remodeling work on their home. My dad shows on time, goes up to the front door to ring the bell and he can see Ron Santo looking right at him from a chair. My dad knocks on the door as Mrs Santo or Ron do not answer their door yet. Finally, Ron gets off his ass and answers the door and says "What do you want?" My dad tells him that his wife called for some work that she wants done. He tells my dad that she'll be right there, then closes the door in his face. Mrs Santo answers the door apologizing and she starts telling my dad what she wants done. Before my dad proceeds inside their house, the garage door opens and Ron steps out saying, "Move your F-kin truck out of my driveway asshole". My dad moves his truck and he speeds out of the drive in sports car. His wife apologizes for acts. She shows him the work. My dad told me the story the next day and I told him not to send them any estimate. My dad and I have worked for other sports stars before (Bill Cartwright, Lovie Smith, Mike Singletary, and few others). As I have no respect for Santo and he will always be a douchebag in my book. Middle Finger

Nothing against you at all, but I don't believe for one second that this story isn't exaggerated quite a bit. I don't expect anyone to take someone's side over their father's, but I met Ron a lot of times, in all types of settings, and what you describe, is not him. Regardless of what experience you heard about, the guy was the farthest thing from a prick, and he did more in his lifetime to help others than you, I and everyone on this board will be able to do combined. Those are facts.
FourFeathers
Starter
Starter

SPAAM Cash : 2345

Back to top Go down

Post by jswieton on Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:33 am

Bo Jackson might be the biggest jack ass around. Back in the summer of 2010 he did a free signing at the grand opening of a Marianos. He was scheduled to be there for two hours but do to bad weather, and poor promotion, there were probably less then 150 people there. He had signed for the entire line of people within the first 45 minutes so people were jumping back in line since there wasn't anybody there. Bo wound up recognizing me and told me he hated "hustlas" and bent my card right in half after he signed it. He actually handed it back to me folded in half. I wouldn't have had a problem if he would have said no or to fu%k off, but to purposely damage someones item is despicable IMHO.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
jswieton
Rookie
Rookie

SPAAM Cash : 161

Back to top Go down

Post by coachk28 on Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:11 am

What a tool bag!

I heard about the drama at that signing. He also threatened to leave b/c the Gomez Family was there in full force and was going through mult times.

SPAAM Founder
Chief Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by FourFeathers on Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:06 am

I was there. Got through line twice with my wife and got 3 things signed. Bo was Bo. He's a private guy that is hit or miss mood wise, and never overly friendly. He was nice to me, but the guys manning the booth were the ones you had to watch out for. It didn't help that some idiot was paying groups of kids to get stuff signed for him. Made us all kinda look bad.

The line was short cause it was announced less than 24 hours prior. The weather was fine, little warm, but otherwise nice day.
FourFeathers
Starter
Starter

SPAAM Cash : 2345

Back to top Go down

Post by HOUSEOFAUTHENTICS on Thu May 31, 2012 9:48 am

Wow I have had some same experience in my collecting years
Reggie Jackson total A Hole is was doing Fergie Jenkins wine and golf event and would not look at you are say nothing other than I AM NOT SIGNING THAT
I am more into hockey as shows goes living in Canada and being a Cowboy Fan you do not get many sit downs here mostley send in but those can be a nightmare as well
My worst all time Hockey signer was Mark Messier he has lighten up a bit since doing sit down shows for money of course

HOUSEOFAUTHENTICS
Water Boy
Water Boy

SPAAM Cash : 22

Back to top Go down

Deion Sanders- Warning

Post by stdrwt11 on Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:50 pm

I just want to let you all know I met him and got his auto today at the Houston Show. Any of you getting him later this summer I just wanted to warn you that he is not friendly, his autos are sloppy, and he will only do 1 of 2 inscriptions (HOF or Prime Time).

Many people I spoke with said they were disappointed with him and many autos I saw were very sloppy or faded. My auto on a mini was a little sloppy but the Prime Time looked more like Prime Tim'c. He also was not shaking hands or looking at people when he signed their items.

Hope it changes at other shows but others said he is always like this.
stdrwt11
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

SPAAM Cash : 2772

Back to top Go down

Post by Steelerfan2112 on Sun Jun 03, 2012 3:41 am

Thank You, I was leaning towards getting him in Chicago, but this changed my mind.

Steelerfan2112
Rookie
Rookie

SPAAM Cash : 160

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaded on Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:27 am

yeah my buddy was at that show and he got a Duke football signed in gold and it already looks faded since he signed it so sloppy.
Jaded
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

SPAAM Cash : 262

Back to top Go down

Post by KG55 on Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:18 am

Jaded wrote:yeah my buddy was at that show and he got a Duke football signed in gold and it already looks faded since he signed it so sloppy.

Why a Duke football?
KG55
Original Member

SPAAM Cash : 2907

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top