SPAAM Collectors Forum
Welcome to The SPAAM Collectors Forum!

SPorts Autographs And Memorabilia

Create a FREE account to get full access to the forum!

Framer's Alley

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Framer's Alley

Post by FourFeathers on Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:42 am

I have not been in to see Jon in quite a while but received this message on another board. Anyone know what's up? Desi? It's not only the prices, it's the quality and smart assness of Jon I loved the place for.

This really sucks if true.

Howdy,

If you’re receiving this PM, it means that you were one of the (many) members that recommended me towards The Framer’s Alley in Park Ridge for my framing needs (since my Rockford guy hung it up a couple years ago). I’ve went to Jon a handful of times over the past year and service (and quality) have been top notch – not to mention the BEST prices anywhere. I’m out in Rockford, so Park Ridge is a nice little couple-hour round-trip adventure – but for the reasons I just listed, it’s worth it.

Well, I went there today to pick up my Muhammad Ali and Harry Caray custom framing pieces – and was met with a rude “we’re closed right now” – it was about 2:40p…and I called the day earlier to confirm hours (so I wouldn’t drive all the way out from Rockford for nothing) – and was told it was 10a-3p. Anyway, I found out that Jon sold the company to an older couple within the past few weeks. There was another fellow collector in there at the same time as me and I could tell by the look on his face that he was not too pleased at the prices he was being quoted – and I heard him say “I’ll have to pass on it at that price.” And the new female owner replied – “Sorry, I can’t offer it at the prices that the former owner used to give – he practically used to GIVE away things for free...and I can't do that” Needless to say, the other customer left in disgust.

Since I was already picking up two pieces, I decided to drop off another piece to have done (Jack Brickhouse). The assistant (who was working there when Jon owned the place and has been extremely pleasant every time I've dealt with her) quoted me a price that was about 33% higher than what Jon charged me in the past. Okay, no HUGE deal. It’s still cheaper than every place here in Rockford. Well, the female owner pretty much told me that the price I was just quoted was about 15 years out-dated and I wouldn’t get that price the next time I was in. Fantastic.

This PM isn’t meant to drive business away from The Framer’s Alley at all – it’s just a friendly “heads up” so you’re not blindsided when you go in there next time. Also, if any of you already knew this or whether or not you know if Jon is going to open up a framing shop closer to his home (which I guess is the main reason he sold the business), I would love to know…because I LOVED the quality/prices that Jon would give.

Happy collecting,
Phil
FourFeathers
Starter
Starter

SPAAM Cash : 2345

Back to top Go down

Re: Framer's Alley

Post by Guest on Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:48 am

Say it ain't so....

Back to top Go down

Post by kenoshacub on Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:42 am

I got that same message and was wondering about it also.

kenoshacub
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

SPAAM Cash : 330

Back to top Go down

Post by tiger7171 on Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:51 am

that really sucks for is regualer customers. he did qaulity work by looking at yalls pictures
tiger7171
All-Star
All-Star

SPAAM Cash : 4599

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:01 am

I am trying to get a hold of Jon....from what everyone is saying, it looks like he did sell it. Not sure what he future plans are and he has a number of my items! Will let you know when I hear from him.

Back to top Go down

Post by FourFeathers on Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:05 pm

I figured I'd call him on his cell tomorrow and not bother him on Easter. Really odd that he wouldn't share with his regulars that this was happening. Hopefully he has plans to open another shop, Park Ridge was a pretty long drive for him on a daily basis.
FourFeathers
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Chi-townpaulie on Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:15 pm

He did mention to me before that he wanted to get closer to him, he would always meet me fir me to drop off pick up so I didn't have to make the long drive. I hope this is the case.
Chi-townpaulie
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

SPAAM Cash : 2108

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:17 pm

Talked to Jon...he did sell the shop. He could not tell anyone based on some confidentiality agreement.

I will know more once the sale is official tomorrow. From what he was hinting, he'll be opening up shop closer to home (Naperville) some time in the near future. Good for some, bad for others.....he was 12 minutes away from me, and Naperville is much farther for me, but I will go the distance to save some money!

He has a handful of my items and will be completing them from home in the meantime. I will update y'all with more information as it becomes available.

-Desi

Back to top Go down

Post by coachk28 on Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:28 pm

There is a small item he has of mine that I haven't picked up yet.

I'll call the shop tomorrow to figure out who has it.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]  l  [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]  l   [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]  l    [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] l [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]    [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
coachk28
SPAAM Founder
Chief Administrator

SPAAM Founder  Chief Administrator

SPAAM Cash : 13332

http://coachkscollection.weebly.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Chi-townpaulie on Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:54 pm

Great potential news. 20 minutes to Naperville for me instead if an hour & 8$ in tolls. Lol.
Chi-townpaulie
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

Back to top Go down

Post by FourFeathers on Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:00 pm

Yeah, Naperville would be would be pretty great for me. I knew he lived there and always wondered why his shop was so far from there.
FourFeathers
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by jswieton on Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:22 pm

I was the other individual in Framers Alley at 2:40 on Saturday. I had brought in 3 lithos that I wanted to get framed. The new owner was very defensive and when I tried to explain that her new prices were 3x higher then what John was charging me she became quite rude to me. She told me the reason that John had to sell the store was because he was basically giving away his services for free and that she was in the business to make money. Hopefully John opens up a new shop because there isn't a chance in hell I will ever give my business to the new owners.
jswieton
Rookie
Rookie

SPAAM Cash : 161

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:08 am

Good to hear Jon will still be in business, even if it is a much further commute for me o well who cares. Ever since I got recommended to go see him for framing, I can't picture myself ever going anywhere else.

Back to top Go down

Post by tiger7171 on Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:37 am

yea once you find a framer you like you stick with him.
sort of like a barber
tiger7171
All-Star
All-Star

Back to top Go down

Post by POHara on Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:43 pm

A move to Naperville might be enough to make me get "a framing guy" -- Park Ridge was a hike for me and traffic sucks.
POHara

SPAAM Cash : 2254

Back to top Go down

Post by mrsromek on Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:36 pm

Anyone ever have any CD booklets or LP's framed by him?
mrsromek
Water Boy
Water Boy

SPAAM Cash : 60

Back to top Go down

Post by coachk28 on Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:10 pm

I saw some LP pieces framed in his shop. Beautiful!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]  l  [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]  l   [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]  l    [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] l [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]    [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
coachk28
SPAAM Founder
Chief Administrator

SPAAM Founder  Chief Administrator

SPAAM Cash : 13332

http://coachkscollection.weebly.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:18 pm

Jon is almost back in business! Just waiting on a dry mount machine and he'll be in full swing.

He will be working out of his house in Naperville....if you need to contact him for framing work, send him an email:

framegame23@gmail.com

You will get the same cash deals as you did before.....

-Desi

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:41 pm

Glad to hear it, will be contacting him shortly!

Back to top Go down

Post by Chi-townpaulie on Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:59 pm

Awesome.
Chi-townpaulie
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

Back to top Go down

Post by tiger7171 on Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:11 am

good for yall. i know it is important that once you find a good framer to keep with them.
tiger7171
All-Star
All-Star

Back to top Go down

Post by Hugek12 on Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:20 pm

Desi_M wrote:Jon is almost back in business! Just waiting on a dry mount machine and he'll be in full swing.

He will be working out of his house in Naperville....if you need to contact him for framing work, send him an email:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

You will get the same cash deals as you did before.....

-Desi
Will he take people that have never been to the old shop? i have been saving up all my stuff i wanted done for one drop because he was so far from me!
Hugek12
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

SPAAM Cash : 1364

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:23 pm

He will take old business and new business! He is open for business, so drop him a line to set up a meeting!

Back to top Go down

Post by Chi-townpaulie on Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:45 pm

Glad to hear. I've got a toews & Kane jersey I need done. And sime other stuff. Didn't wanna have to go to any1 else. Great news.
Chi-townpaulie
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

Back to top Go down

Post by Silly on Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:27 am

Who is going up there next? Maybe I can meet ya there and be introduced to John. I have a 20x30 I need framed.

Silly
Original Member

Original Member  Moderator

SPAAM Cash : 6494

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top