SPAAM Collectors Forum
Welcome to The SPAAM Collectors Forum!

SPorts Autographs And Memorabilia

Create a FREE account to get full access to the forum!

Organizing your collection

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Organizing your collection

Post by Silly on Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:23 am

How do you do it? I am horrible at it. I start off all nice and neat but then I lose control of the walk in closet I use to store my stuff.

Today I have a buddy coming over around 11am, told him if he helps me organize and sort through it I would toss him a few random autos we come across. CoachK helped me last year and I think it took 2 total days.

If I remember I will take come pics. Just dont make fun of how messy I am. I call it organized chaos because I know exactly what is in each bin, box, folder of every inch of the closet.

Silly
Original Member

Original Member  Moderator

SPAAM Cash : 6494

Back to top Go down

Re: Organizing your collection

Post by Guest on Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:01 pm

That closet is a new dimension of hell

Back to top Go down

Post by Silly on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:30 pm

Just finished. Took little over 3 hours. Ill post pics when I get on a real CPU.

I may take a nap now. That kicked my butt.

Silly
Original Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Silly on Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:53 pm

Here is what I started with:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Silly
Original Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Silly on Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:55 pm

How it is now:

Silly
Original Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Silly on Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:56 pm

And Yes, I know you all are jealous of the Hello Kitty stool.

Silly
Original Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Chi-townpaulie on Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:27 pm

I'll give u a Barbie Lego set for the hello kitty l.ol.
Chi-townpaulie
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

SPAAM Cash : 2108

Back to top Go down

Post by FourFeathers on Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:08 pm

You got that George Brett Willie Wilson file you can email me? It's a sweet pic.
FourFeathers
Starter
Starter

SPAAM Cash : 2345

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:32 pm

I get caught in disorganization often, and for me, it's due to procrastination. The trick is to put away items after every event. Many of us are so into the hobby, that we just let things pile up that soon it's chaotic.

I know where everything is in my organized mess, but I recently did some spring cleaning and put away items and pulled items that I will be getting signed to another area of the house. I have 2 closets and the utility room which is full....my wife keeps saying no more but she has no idea what I'm really bringing in anyway. It does accumulate in a hurry though, so I just need to stay on top of it....otherwise I'll find signed Roger Clemens 8x10 under a pile of unsigned magazines like I did the other day

I love using the clear bins.....you can see whats in them!

Back to top Go down

Post by yipster32 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:19 pm

yea, agreed with desi_m....you gotta keep up with what you get and store it as you get it, it eliminates it feeling like a chore later. with that being said, itoya binders for flats, same size/dimension boxes/bins for equipment, organized by what equipment it is....have a box for pucks, mini helmets, etc. i take a picture and catalog everything on my comp so i know exactly what i have to avoid the guessing later wondering if i have an auto.
yipster32
All-Star
All-Star

SPAAM Cash : 5004

Back to top Go down

Post by cubsfan0303 on Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:57 am

Nice stuff mike and like that now its all grouped!!!
cubsfan0303
Original Member

SPAAM Cash : 5089

Back to top Go down

Post by coachk28 on Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:15 am

I know my opinion on this isn't the most popular among collectors... and by no means am I trying to bash anyone and their collection.

But IMHO... if parts of your collection are never going to be displayed.... then what is the point of having them?

Now I can understand and make exceptions to this rule if you have really high end stuff that you keep hidden under lock and key for safety/preservation reasons.

But what good are 10 Ken Rudolph or 30 Dan Hampton autographs doing sitting in the back of a storage room when no one will ever see them?

SPAAM Founder
Chief Administrator

SPAAM Founder  Chief Administrator

SPAAM Cash : 13332

http://coachkscollection.weebly.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Silly on Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:47 am

coachk28 wrote:I know my opinion on this isn't the most popular among collectors... and by no means am I trying to bash anyone and their collection.

But IMHO... if parts of your collection are never going to be displayed.... then what is the point of having them?

Now I can understand and make exceptions to this rule if you have really high end stuff that you keep hidden under lock and key for safety/preservation reasons.

But what good are 10 Ken Rudolph or 30 Dan Hampton autographs doing sitting in the back of a storage room when no one will ever see them?

Should one only collect to show off and not because they love the hobby? Why would one ever collect cards then as opposed to say a baseball? You going to individually display 200,000 cards?

I for one use to display stuff, had a nice room setup and that was "MY" room. Now it is a pink bedroom with a princess sign above the door.

Silly
Original Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Silly on Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:50 am

yipster32 wrote: i take a picture and catalog everything on my comp so i know exactly what i have

This right here is very important I believe. I do the same. I take the photos, upload them to computer, upload them to photobucket. I do have an excel file I keep with the items that I have fallen behind on. I list what the item is, who signed it and when it was signed. You can then click on each column and the hyperlink will take you to a pic of either the player signing the item, or of the item itself.

Sadly, I fell behind on that excel when they blocked photobucket at my office. I feel partially responsible for that.

Silly
Original Member

Back to top Go down

Post by coachk28 on Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:24 am

Silly wrote:

Should one only collect to show off and not because they love the hobby? Why would one ever collect cards then as opposed to say a baseball? You going to individually display 200,000 cards?

I for one use to display stuff, had a nice room setup and that was "MY" room. Now it is a pink bedroom with a princess sign above the door.

I collect because I love the hobby.

But I also want to eventually be able to regularly enjoy what I have worked hard to obtain.

So if by having to "show off" you mean have it displayed somewhere where I can easily see it and enjoy it, then yes!

SPAAM Founder
Chief Administrator

SPAAM Founder  Chief Administrator

SPAAM Cash : 13332

http://coachkscollection.weebly.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by tiger7171 on Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:40 am

i have been trying to organize my room also.everytime i have it half way organized my 2 year old goes in their when im not home and moves stuff around. i have many toploaders with autographedcards in them with his scribble on top. lucky they are autos from sage and worth .02.
i have a table with items for upcoming signings or mail outs and i go and make sure he hasnt messed that up.
tiger7171
All-Star
All-Star

SPAAM Cash : 4599

Back to top Go down

Post by Silly on Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:41 am

coachk28 wrote:
Silly wrote:

I collect because I love the hobby.

But I also want to eventually be able to regularly enjoy what I have worked hard to obtain.

So if by having to "show off" you mean have it displayed somewhere where I can easily see it and enjoy it, then yes!

Display every single piece though? Each and every single one? Come on now LOL

Silly
Original Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Silly on Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:43 am

tiger7171 wrote:i have been trying to organize my room also.everytime i have it half way organized my 2 year old goes in their when im not home and moves stuff around. i have many toploaders with autographedcards in them with his scribble on top. lucky they are autos from sage and worth .02.
i have a table with items for upcoming signings or mail outs and i go and make sure he hasnt messed that up.

This is somewhere that I am lucky. As previously mentioned I use a deep walk in closet. Every once and awhile I leave the door open some to let some air circulate or whatever (not sure it even matters but I do it anyway). We pass by the closet on the way to put my kids to bed. If they see the door open, one of them will stop and close it. They have never gone in there because they know its my stuff. Not sure if that will last as they get older (they are 4 going on 5) but I can only hope!

Silly
Original Member

Back to top Go down

Post by tiger7171 on Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:49 am

yea my older son is just starting to get into collecting . he will be 9 in a few weeks. he understands now about daddy's stuff.
tiger7171
All-Star
All-Star

Back to top Go down

Post by kenoshacub on Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:11 am

I agree and disagree with coachk28. I try to display all my stuff but it's nearly impossible to do with binders full of 8x10's of no name players that I've collected over the 25+ years of graphing. And I have a finished basement with plenty of room to show it off and still have a hard time doing it. Now I try to only collect items that I really want or need. I don't go and get 8x10's signed of 3rd string Bears tightends or the 6th outfielder on the Cubs. I also hope you guys have a rider on your homeowners insurance or renters insurance to cover your stuff. If you don't you should. Fire and or theft can happen. Silly mentioned cataloging and pic taking, both good ideas for this. I do both also.

kenoshacub
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

SPAAM Cash : 330

Back to top Go down

Post by Silly on Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:25 am

kenoshacub wrote: I also hope you guys have a rider on your homeowners insurance or renters insurance to cover your stuff. If you don't you should. Fire and or theft can happen.

Can you go into this a little more? I often hear it mentioned but don't really know anyone who has followed through. Do all items have to be certified? Appraised? I really wouldn't even know where to start. Even after starting, how do you go about adding onto it as your collection goes.

This may actually be a good topic for a new thread.

Last edited by Silly on Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:58 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)

Silly
Original Member

Back to top Go down

Post by tiger7171 on Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:41 am

yes very good topic for discussion.insurance
tiger7171
All-Star
All-Star

Back to top Go down

Post by kenoshacub on Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:16 pm

It's actually not a policy covering each item, it's rider covering the contents of your house or apartment etc. You are correct in saying that you would have to have it appraised and certified if you want a specific policy just to cover your memorabilia. I have an added rider covering mine based on what I think it's valued at. Just as I have the contents of my house insured, this is just an additional rider covering those items. Talk to your agents, they should be able to help you out. I just had a small flood this past week in my basement do to a faulty sump pump and have insurance on that also. Again not flood insurance per say, just a $25,000 rider covering water damage in the basement. Just like the rider I have covering my autographed items. Remember it's just a small amount on your policy rates to fully covered.

kenoshacub
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

SPAAM Cash : 330

Back to top Go down

Post by tiger7171 on Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:46 pm

kenosha whats a basement? here in louisiiana if we did deep we will hit water.
tiger7171
All-Star
All-Star

Back to top Go down

Post by FourFeathers on Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:31 pm

I need a 2nd basement.
FourFeathers
Starter
Starter

SPAAM Cash : 2345