SPAAM Collectors Forum
Welcome to The SPAAM Collectors Forum!

SPorts Autographs And Memorabilia

Create a FREE account to get full access to the forum!

When/How Did "Getting Inscriptions" Become So Popular?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Post by coachk28 on Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:06 pm

When I look back at my dads autographs from the 1960's and 1970's... the vast majority of them just have the players name... some times NOT even a number.

The same seems to hold true when you look further back into baseball antiquity. More times than not... when you got an autograph you got just the players name and maybe a "To So and So" personalization.

When/how did the crazy inscription craze start? Wanting multiple stats, unique inscriptions, and everything in between.

Maybe some of you older collectors can shed some light here.

SPAAM Founder
Chief Administrator

SPAAM Founder  Chief Administrator

SPAAM Cash : 13332

http://coachkscollection.weebly.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: When/How Did "Getting Inscriptions" Become So Popular?

Post by Guest on Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:21 pm

I first saw it in the early 2000s when I saw several guys working on stat balls. You can pretty much eat up a whole ball with stats. Then I saw stat jerseys, not so much written by hand, but stats actually embroidered into the jersey.

I kind of got caught up in with a few 16x20s, but I'm not a fan of inscriptions. Besides the personal inscription, the only one I really care for is the HOF inscription. Otherwise, I just want a signature (you can have HOF added later should he/she make it).

Again, just preference. There are so many inscriptions that can be put down, that I think it takes away from the autograph itself. I guess retired players I can see...but doing it with current players doesn't make sense as their stats are constantly changing.

Just my honest opinion....all I care about is the HOF inscription.

Back to top Go down

Post by kenoshacub on Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:19 pm

I'd like to find the first guy that started charging extra for inscriptions and kick him in the nut sack. They used to be included in the price of the autograph.

kenoshacub
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

SPAAM Cash : 330

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:54 pm

Same story, different chapter! The tiered pricing irritates me....doesn't matter what I'm getting signed since I'm paying for the autograph. Not being able to take pictures at the table irritates me as well since I like taking pictures with players, but I do understand the time constraints. I've come to accept that this hobby is all about money....so i just gotta go with the flow and make the right decisions.

Back to top Go down

Post by Silly on Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:58 pm

Desi_M wrote:Same story, different chapter! The tiered pricing irritates me....doesn't matter what I'm getting signed since I'm paying for the autograph. Not being able to take pictures at the table irritates me as well since I like taking pictures with players, but I do understand the time constraints. I've come to accept that this hobby is all about money....so i just gotta go with the flow and make the right decisions.

Agree 100%!

The tier'd part I believe comes in from the mentality of "you are gonna make yours, I gotta make mine". Meaning people assume so much things are sold, they know you will get more for a jersey than you will a photo. Basically double dipping as they already had their chance at the markup price.

I'm big on the photos as well. Sometimes I go to these with my kids not really even wanting the autograph that much but just wanting a photo of the player with my kids. I think it will be something cool to look back on in later years with them. They won't remember a written autograph I am sure, but maybe they will remember the persons face or whatnot.

Silly
Original Member

Original Member  Moderator

SPAAM Cash : 6494

Back to top Go down

Post by stdrwt11 on Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:31 pm

I have no idea but ever since I started collecting autos I have been about getting inscriptions. I like them because they are different and not as common. I especially go for rare or odd ones so I know no one else or very few will have one like me. When it comes to current players I go with something that won't change like a nickname, Bible verse, or an accomplishment like no hitter or or something.

I agree with the comments about charging as they can get expensive. Almost every item I have signed is inscribed. As for pics I love getting pics with athletes as you mentioned above. It is something you can share with others and hold onto forever. You may sell and auto or even lose it (God forbid) somehow but pics will always be there (if you have them on file or online).

stdrwt11
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

SPAAM Cash : 2772

Back to top Go down

Post by xtra-innings on Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:04 pm

I too can remember when they first came on the scene but my memory takes me back to the early-mid 1990s. Correct me if I'm wrong but when UD introduced the first autograph chase cards in their [1990 UD] packs featuring Reggie Jackson, those cards were also hand numbered by the player. Those were one of the 1st inscriptions I can remember dealers trying to "push" by trying to sell the idea that the players "inscribed them themselves" and "you won't find another like it on the market". Below is a sample of one of the 1990 UD "chase" cards of Reggie:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

As for overall inscription of players accomplishments, I'm in the middle of the road with them. I don't ask for them but if a player wants to add it, I'm good with it. It will obviously help enhance the value but I could care less either way.
xtra-innings
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SPAAM Cash : 7119
TTM King TTM King

http://us.ebid.net/perl/main.cgi?mo=user-store&title=xtra-in

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top