SPAAM Collectors Forum
Welcome to The SPAAM Collectors Forum!

SPorts Autographs And Memorabilia

Create a FREE account to get full access to the forum!

Stories on your items

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Stories on your items

Post by stdrwt11 on Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:48 am

I figured it would be cool to start a thread where we can tell stories about some of our favorite items or most memorable experiences. I know that I could tell a story with almost every auto or game used item I own; some funny, a few are amazing, while others could have been horrible. I think stories on our collections would be good reads plus it can give us insight not only into players but to companies, failures, and successes.
stdrwt11
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

SPAAM Cash : 2772

Back to top Go down

Re: Stories on your items

Post by stdrwt11 on Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:47 pm

I will start:

1. My friend was getting Mario Williams and he asked how many sacks he would have for the upcoming season considering he had so many the previous year. Mario then asked how he knew how many sacks he had. My friend said he loved watching him and kept up with his stats and was a little puzzled with the question. Mario had a friend with him and the friend said in a low voice that he didn't mean THAT type of sack. We then laughed and asked what other sacks he was referring to. Mario smiled and then said don't worry about it. He then laughed some more.

2. Wade Boggs didn't know how to spell superstitious when I asked for an inscription of Mr. Superstitious. He then laughed and said I would have to spell it as well as mentioning he had never had anyone ask him for that before. I was about to when the MM person said she could look it up online. He said no worries then said ok I will do the best I can but if it is wrong don't blame me. He then shook my hand, handed me the bat, and said I did the best I could as I was never great at spelling. He then laughed and thanked me.

3. I had a photo signed of Adrian Peterson and got an inscription ticket at a Tristar show. When I got up to him I asked for his favorite Bible Verse and he looked up a minute and then said he could not think of one. He then said I will take care of you though and wrote "All Day" and then wrote "God Bless". He also remembered me from a previous show where I had met him about 6 months earlier as I was in the back helping a friend with a signing and he took his pic with me as I saw him in passing. Strongest handshake ever!

4. Some of you may not know Case Keenum but he is the all time leader in passing yards, completions, and touchdowns in college football. He was on the Texans Practice Squad out of University of Houston. Anyways, a few years back before he was popular he was just starting at UH after getting the job his Soph year and he came to speak to our Fellowship of Christian Athletes at the high school where I work. He was really shy then but I met him a few times after at different events for FCA and for UH. Each time he remembered me, would ask me questions on how school and FCA was going, he even noticed I lost weight and commented on it once, and he even held my daughter and was playing with her one night at an event. I just thought it was a great story and he always signed items for me with cool inscriptions (most I gave to friends or to FCA for auctions but I did keep a few).

stdrwt11
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

SPAAM Cash : 2772

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluemoon4655 on Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:58 pm

Hahaha, that Mario Williams story. Its a shame he didn't work out for the Texans but we are in a better position now.
Bluemoon4655
Rookie
Rookie

SPAAM Cash : 233

Back to top Go down

Post by xtra-innings on Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:30 am

1) In 1992, I took my little brother (he was about 10 yrs old) with me to Padres training camp (when there were still in Yuma, AZ). We were at the rear of the complex when Gwynn came over to the fence and began signing. He must have been there for about 20+ minutes. My brother got a couple of cards signed and went back in to "double dip". Gwynn said he recognized the "little hand" and asked him if he already signed for him. My brother said "Yes" and Gwynn said "Good, your honest". Gwynn then surprised him and said, "Do you have more?" When my brother said he had more cards, Gwynn said to "Get them".

My brother ran to me, asked for the keys then ran to the car in the parking lot located at the far end of the complex. He brought his cards back (approx. 20+) and I threw in a few of my own. He handed them to Gwynn who took the stack of cards, walked over to a nearby bench and sat down. Gwynn signed all of my brother's cards then handed them back. He then told my brother, "You're done with me, right?" My brother replied, "Now I am". Gwynn signed a few more then left. That was great of Gwynn to do that and made my brother a life-time fan of his.

2) Most recently at Brewers camp last year, Bruan was signing a lot of items and personalizing some. I was standing at the railing with my arm stretched out holding a photo (as were others around me). When Bruan looked in my direction, he asked me what my name was. I told him and he proceeded to personalize the photo...unfortunately it was the wrong photo...he signed the photo next to me!! ROTFL He then took my photo and signed it without the personalization. The guy next to me was upset and if looks could kill, I would have been dead on the spot. I told him I could remove the photo but he was so upset, he just left.
xtra-innings
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SPAAM Cash : 7119
TTM King TTM King

http://us.ebid.net/perl/main.cgi?mo=user-store&title=xtra-in

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top