SPAAM Collectors Forum
Welcome to The SPAAM Collectors Forum!

SPorts Autographs And Memorabilia

Create a FREE account to get full access to the forum!

Nike Full-Sized Signature Football - Issues

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Nike Full-Sized Signature Football - Issues

Post by airj1012 on Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:55 pm

I'm new to the autograph collection group and I'm having problems with my first signed football.

My ball is a Virginia Tech Nike Full-Sized Signature Football (http://www.gobblergear.com/nike_football_p/000719.htm). I received the ball earlier this spring. The ball sits in a protective case - Steiner Sports Glass Football Case. The glass is supposedly UV protected - [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

However I'm starting to see problems with my ball. There is some discoloration around the seems of the ball. This only appears to be happened on the left side of the ball (closest to the window in the room). The ball does sit in a room with that receives sunlight, but the ball is never within direct sunlight.

I brought the ball into a local merchant that works with memorabilia and he said that it looks like the paint is just chipping off and it tends to happen with these types of balls. He said that I could touch up ball with white shoe polish and a q-tip. Then I could spray the ball with a quick shot of hair spray to prevent any additional damage.

Has anybody experienced these same problems? Whats wrong with my ball? Are the tips I received good?

I'm looking at getting a second autographed ball in the near future, but would love to avoid these problems going forward. Thanks for the help. Pictures are below.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

airj1012
Sports Fan
Sports Fan

SPAAM Cash : 9

Back to top Go down

Re: Nike Full-Sized Signature Football - Issues

Post by FourFeathers on Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:31 am

White panel balls tend to always have issues at some point. I'd stick with regular footballs and have them signed with silver Deco paint pens. Don't inflate them all the way either and if they're hard as a rock, let some air out before its signed. Signatures come out better this way. And you gotta get used to prepping a paint pen ahead of time.
FourFeathers
Starter
Starter

SPAAM Cash : 2345

Back to top Go down

Post by stdrwt11 on Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:04 am

Be careful with autos on white panel balls. They will fade over time and it will be noticeable. It won't completely go away but you can for sure tell a difference. I would ditch the autos on that ball and get a real football, helmet, mini helmet, or photo. They look good, rarely fade, and have better resale value if you have ever chose to sell. I prefer mini helmets and photos honestly.
stdrwt11
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

SPAAM Cash : 2772

Back to top Go down

Post by airj1012 on Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:07 am

Great thanks for the replies.

I will try to avoid the white panel balls in the future. However I did have some quick questions about other objects to get signed. Would you recommend an Official Replica Football like this one (http://www.footballfanatics.com/COLLEGE_Virginia_Tech_Hokies/Nike_Virginia_Tech_Hokies_12_Official_Replica_Football)? Also as far as resale value goes (although I'm not planning on that right now, I might as well take that into consideration as well) is there a big difference in value if I were to do a mini helmet vs normal size? And then replica vs authentic helmets? The prices for those are quite different.

Also do you have any tips on how to clean up my current issue with my football? Were those tips the other memorabilia merchant told me good practices? Or might they make matters worse?

Thanks again.

Michael

airj1012
Sports Fan
Sports Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by coachk28 on Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:15 am

Hey airj... Welcome again to SPAAM and the collecting community!

Its difficult to help you with your question when I keep on marveling at the amazing view you have from the window.

I know of the fading issues with white panel.footballs, but I have never seen/experiened the paint coming off like that.

I don't see why what tips your guy gave you wouldn't work. I would test it on a small spot first.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]  l  [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]  l   [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]  l    [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] l [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]    [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
coachk28
SPAAM Founder
Chief Administrator

SPAAM Founder  Chief Administrator

SPAAM Cash : 13332

http://coachkscollection.weebly.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by airj1012 on Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:18 am

Great thanks. Yes, that's the Atlanta skyline.

Any thoughts on which product is the best for resale (not that I'm truly seeking for that alternative). Just wondering if I go with the VT Football - [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] or a mini or replica helmet.

Thanks again for all the help.

airj1012
Sports Fan
Sports Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top